Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender or Warmoth?

Ol Boy Rivers

Howdy yall, Ol'boy here. I WANT SOME ADVICE and some oppionons. Ol'boy wants a telecaster, And he wants one bad. BUT he wants a telecaster with some custom refinements. TWO OPTIONS: Start out with a fender telecaster and buy all the GOLD hardwear, Pay for the new pickups, New pickgaurd, New nut, And possibly even work on the body a little OR go to warmoth and have them make everything to my specs, I gander the price will be about the same either way.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anything the blue monkey says goes, I say. I just think doing the warmoth would be a better idea. Is the wood as high quality as fenders? Probally the wood quality of a standerd Tele is what's to be shot for, ALDER though.

Or get a G&L.

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/pics/large/ASAT-Z3-SH_Tobacco-Sunburst_full.jpg

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/pics/large/ASAT-SPECIAL_Blonde_full.jpg

http://www.glguitars.com/instruments/pics/large/ASAT-SPECIAL-SEMIHOLLOW-bla.jpg

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Those ARE some sure perty guitars...But not what i'm looking for. I want just a plain jane tele with a few mods. G&L has the Tele's, But I refuse to settle. I want all the OLD features of the old tele's. Right down to the vintage clothe covered wire.

If you build a Warmoth, you will get a better guitar. Of course, you will never get what you have in it out of it. If you mod a Fender, you will be giving the parts away if you sell it, because no one will pay more than the price of the same Fender without them.

I'd build the Warmoth.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I generally DON'T sell guitars unless i have to. The only guitar's ive ever sold so far were because i really didn't like them. I haven't even sold my cheap first acoustic after ive upgraded to a Cedertop Luthier. I'm pretty sure it's undetested, Build a warmoth. Now...Suggestions, Anyone? :D I know it will be a transperant Amber with gold hardwear, Alder body, vintage bridge, Vintage tented maple on maple neck, SRV neck cut, Stratocaster Peghead, Plit shaft tuners, Electrosocket Jack, I'll make another string so we can get lotsa peoples.

Ol boy well if re-sale isnt a issue and i never consider that when buying a guitar then if a Fender tele is what you want then mod the Fender, both will turn out excellent but one will say warmoth and the other will say Fender, if the name has any bearing on it then fender it has to be.

But enjoy whatever you get :D

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by Ol' Boy Rivers:

Does warmoth really put their name on the head stock?

You have the option to have it blank - some people have even slid Fender decals onto them, which would be fraudulent in a resale of the instrument. It's gonna be a one-off, so you can put your own logo on it.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

As the others have said, modding a Fender will devalue it. The Warmoth will already start out with no resale value. From a simply purist point of view, modding the Fender in the way that you describe is a sort of sacrelige, while building it from Warmoth parts is kinda cool.

I own a Warmoth, (along with a small but nice collection of authentic vintage instruments ) and it is a beautiful instrument.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived