Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fender MIM amps must be OK

SEHpicker

I've posted 3 times asking about any noticable difference between the Fender MIM amps vs American made... and (almost) no one seems to have much to say. Assuming there are knowledgeable people that do read the posts... I have to conclude that there are no significant differences... or somebody would be chiming in. Sooooo, I guess my question was answered... kind of... :thu:

THANKS!!!

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks ellwood, yeah I guess so. There's usually alot of opinion out there. Kinda surprised. If the question was about Mex vs US Strats there would be some commentary... course that has probably been covered a few times.

And you're right, I usually only buy US made musical equipment. But I got a sweet deal on this amp. 1 year old/$400 bucks. Perfect condition and sounds really sweet.

SEHpicker :)

SEHpicker

The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it." George Orwell

In 1993 Fender opened up the custom amp shop and soon the modern custom classics such as the Vibro King and the Tonemaster were realized. Later on they opened a new plant in Corona, CA to make solid state amps. It has now become their primary location for all tube amp manufacturing. Fender's solid state amps now are made in a state of the art facility in Ensenada, Baja California, Mexico.

from fender-amp.com

then this Some of the parts are made In Corona and some in Ensenada

Draw your own conclusions.

At least it's not made in Sri Lanka like my Roland Cube.......

J/K

Lynn G

The amp in question is a Hot Rod Deville 4x10. It is a tube amp so I guess they have moved the tube amp assembly to Mexico too. I think they did that around 02. So pre 02s are US made and later ones are Mex.

Thanks for the input.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

Originally posted by Scott Fraser:

At least Fender has outsourced their amp plant to the same hemisphere as the main US facility. Gotta say I'm getting a little bit tired of seeing "Made In China" on every manufactured item I see anymore.

Scott Fraser

Amen to that.
...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

Originally posted by BadLife:

Well if they make them in Mexico I won't be buying a new one. Sorry it's just not the same :evil:

Well yeah I bought all of mine used.

Better value.

...touched down in the land of the Delta Blues.....in the middle of the pouring rain....

See now we weren't talking abotu amps, You caught me off guard there. I will say that over seas HAS A FEW good products you can buy, But alot of bad guitar's are shipped from over there. ( Bad woods, Wrong hole placements, Just horrid all together in some cases. ) And, Blues, Yeah. Generally they will put a " Made in XXX " on the neck plate, If not you can go to your local guitar shop and give them the serial number, They'll tell you anything you want to know about the guitar from that.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

Originally posted by Ol' Boy Rivers:

See now we weren't talking abotu amps, You caught me off guard there. I will say that over seas HAS A FEW good products you can buy, But alot of bad guitar's are shipped from over there. ( Bad woods, Wrong hole placements, Just horrid all together in some cases. ) And, Blues, Yeah. Generally they will put a " Made in XXX " on the neck plate, If not you can go to your local guitar shop and give them the serial number, They'll tell you anything you want to know about the guitar from that.

Adding a little to it, It's a random thing. Ive had a few guitars ( For instance, My V ) that shipped from china and still held great quality. BUT IVE SEEN, OWNED, PLAYED HORRIDLY BAD ONES that made my fingers scream.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

How many electronics do we buy regularly that we dont even know are made in Asia, or Mexico?

I'm guessing that you might have had more luck if you hadn't lumped the two things together, how they sounded versus each other AND their reliability versus each other. There are few people that can answer with anecdotal knowledge...which often is misleading anyway.

And probably not many of those even.

I mean...most of us don't buy two of the same amp. Some buy one. I tried to get the same info you are after without the distinction of where they were made even, and got a predictable mixed response. Soem said the amp (wherever made) was prone to problems, others said they gigged with them for years with no problems. I bought one (not even sure if made in US or Mexico) and haven't had any problems with mine in almost two years now.

Most likely, many people don't know where theirs was made. Repair technicians might have some insight...but even that is just anecdotal.

You'd need a big sample of reliable info, plus folks that have played (and know which was which) through both for comparisons.

I was wondering, are they marked clearly (like guitars from Fender) whether made in the USA or Mexico? Did they go from one to the other (stop making in US, only make in Mexico?) or is it a two-tiered price thing...with the US being more expensive?

Is one likely to find both types in the same music store?

If I were you, I'd check that the warranty is the same, and then not worry about it and buy one.

Just added here: I should have said, "because I really doubt you will regret it. The DeVille is an excellent amp, with the only drawback for me is lack of footswitchable reverb"

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

"You'd need a big sample of reliable info, plus folks that have played (and know which was which) through both for comparisons."

That is what I was hoping to get from the forum, and, in fact, am now getting, even though it is limited. This thread had a slow start but seems to be picking up momentum. I really appreciate the responses. ;) It will probably take a few more years to know if there are any reliability problems with the MIM Fender amps... I can tell right now that the quality of tone is about the same... at least to my ears.

In any case, I hear ya BWB, good comments and sound advice. BTW, the origin of manufacture is clearly displayed on the back of both versions. And they do not make them in Corona anymore. They switched over to Ensenada around 02. (I think) If anyone knows for sure you might pass this info on. I think Fender amps have a unique quality to their sound... I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that has been able to duplicate it?

Thanks again for the input.

SEHpicker

SEHpicker

Originally posted by SEHpicker:

posted by BluesWithoutBlame:

"You'd need a big sample of reliable info, plus folks that have played (and know which was which) through both for comparisons."

That is what I was hoping to get from the forum, and, in fact, am now getting, even though it is limited. This thread had a slow start but seems to be picking up momentum. I really appreciate the responses. ;) It will probably take a few more years to know if there are any reliability problems with the MIM Fender amps... I can tell right now that the quality of tone is about the same... at least to my ears.

In any case, I hear ya BWB, good comments and sound advice. BTW, the origin of manufacture is clearly displayed on the back of both versions. And they do not make them in Corona anymore. They switched over to Ensenada around 02. (I think) If anyone knows for sure you might pass this info on. I think Fender amps have a unique quality to their sound... I'm not aware of any other manufacturer that has been able to duplicate it?

Thanks again for the input.

SEHpicker

Yeah...I guess, I ended up deciding it just wasn't possible on a forum. It's ALL anecdotal, and with so many thousands (god knows how many) out there, and so many folks will tell you "it is unreliable" and others "been using it steady for years and no problems, and everyone in the band has one" that I think the greatest chance to be misleading.

Which, if I am thinking of buying an amp, is the last thing I want.

It's all guesswork too. I mean, a company can make an amp, that is reliable as hell for years, and have some glitch on some part that suddenly causes a whole bunch of them to be bad after time (not caught in quality control). Ask those guys and it is "an unreliable amp", but ask all the guys before and it is excellent, and all the folks after.

Folks that service amps I THINK have a better perspective, but EVEN then...you could think that in a town somewhere, everyone is buying on kind of amp, with a few here and there buying other brands...so the local tech "sees LOTS more of amp A coming in for repair than amp B"

My experience is the De Ville (I bought mine here in Norway, it's at my one bands practice room, so I won't see it til Monday, but will try to remember to check which it is) I bought a couple years ago is just amazing except for a few design features I am not crazy about.

I tried also a Bassman LTD (Fender RI) at the store, and it seemed to have a more sparkly and cleaner clean tone, but I loved the DeVille anyway. A while later I bought a point-to-point Bassman made locally here, and it is KILLER...but for some reason, after I started using that at practice and gigs for a little while, it was different, (and I don't know how much of this also had to do with getting used to my sound, and how to best use it) but for the next two practices and the next gig...I'm going back to the DeVille for now. Has more headroom, and just fills the room in a good way.

Nice to have the effects loop too.

Sorry for going on and on, this won't tell you anything til I find out if it is Mexico or US...you might get a lemon, but I doubt Fender has relaxed their standards wherever they manufacture...it would be suicide if they did.

But I didn't see an answer to my question either. Is there a two tier price (are Mexico DeVilles less expensive than US made DeVilles) or difference in warranties between the two?

THAT would be the telltale if there was a quality difference.

but not in practice."

You could also check out this thread on the "Fender Forum":

http://www.fenderforum.com/forum.html?db=&topic_number=392755

and even though their search engine is the pits (matches ANY word apparently even in a phrase delimited by quotes) you might try a few searches for "Mexico" or at least with Mexico in the header.

The thread I mentioned, say really good things about the quality and workmanship in the Mexican factory.

but not in practice."

Archived