Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Effect Discussion

AeroG33k

I know we've had this discussion before, and I know that *generally* it goes volume/wah/eq etc -> Distortion -> Modulation -> Delay/Reverb. But specifically, I'm curious about this dilemma:

How would you connect a set up involving a "clean" eq boost, a graphic eq pedal, a wah pedal, a volume pedal and a compression/sustain pedal? They all usually claim to be the "first" in line... :confused:

Also, a noise supressor/limiter would go last, right?

--Edit: I decided to broaden this topic since I'm curious to learn more about the technical aspect of guitar effects. Specifically how DSP, COSM, Analog, Modeling tech differs and which effect uses which.

For example, DSP is almost exclusively used in terms of effects used in solid state amps. I know what it stands for and generally how it works, but I'm not sure how it differs from modeling and analog (I'm guessing modeling and COSM just refers to a specialized use of DSP to shape sound). So, what about your standard digital chorus effect in your favorite pedal...wouldn't that be the same as your DSP chorus from an amp? What about analog tech? How does analog tech shape a sound wave for complex modulation effects?

Let's get the pros to shed more light on this! :wave:

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I screw about with it quite a bit because some times when it's not in the prescribed order... it still sounds great to me! I had a lot of noise and added a NS-2 and that cleared out things I was rather fond of so I think I've learned that it's a work in progress sort of life.

This kind of helps.

maybe

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v258/pek63/EffectsChainOrder.jpg

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

As far as I know:

COSM is the trademarked name of Roland/Boss's modeled sounds.

The Roland CUBE amps are based on this, so I'm not sure it's entirely "software", but I think this high-tech modeling stuff is actually software.

Tech 21's Sans Amp and Trademark amps are entirely "solid state", I think, so definitely no software there. The sounds from these can really be swwweeeeet, regardless of whether they're "close" to the real thing or not.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

the way i was taught with effects is what ever you want to come out the MOST you put after everything. Wah's however ALLWAYS come first unless it's your using for a tone pedal, In which it can come anywhere after first. I don't use MASSIVE ammounts of effects, A VOX wah and my tube screamer and i'm set.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

I've got my boost before my wah, and my reverb last. I don't use any sort of compression or noise reduction. I only use good effects, and I have a small number of them. Because I am not playing out much anymore, I keep only the ones that I am using on a particular recording chained together, trying to keep as short a signal path and as clean a signal path as possible. My rig, if all cobbled together at once, would be the StroboStomp, Radial Tonebone British, Reverend DriveTrain, The Fulltone Deja2 and Clyde, a Fulltone '69, and a Mr Echo, into the THD Uni. I have abandoned all the modelers and multieffect devices for serious work, but I find them to be quite convenient for gigging and I have no problem using one out live... but in the studio they just don't fly for me.

This is a matter of personal taste and experience... it is almost the same as drinking scotch. When you stat out, J&B or Cutty Sark seems to be the way to go, and you either progress from there or move on to some other brnad of liquor. But if you stay with scotch, then Chivas Regal becomes your brand, and eventually you are buying single malts and paying a lot more money. You cannot expain it to those who think that you are spending too much, it is just worth it to you. Yeah, you can get just as drunk and loud on J&B.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

DSP describes any digital signal processing, in regards to audio. COSM is, indeed, Roland/Boss' trademarked acronym for their modeling software, just as Korg has REMS (Resonant Electronic Modeling System). Trademarked ways to describe their versions of the same thing. ;)

I really like having the all in one in my Fender G-DEC, but the sounds often fall short with cheap, single coil p'ups. (I haven't used quality single coils, so I can't say if they'll make a difference.) The singles I have used sound smeared on the high frequencies. The '58 ES-335 I played through it last weekend did not display that sound with any of the presets. It was pretty darned good for a cheesy practice amp.

I've really enjoyed my Korg Pandora, too. But it requires a separate sound system or amp, whereas everything is onboard with the G-DEC. OTOH, I can put it in my pocket and plug in with headphones or direct into a PA equally well without lugging an amp around. Great for travel. I played another musician's guitar through it on a layover in Heathrow without anyone outside our immediate area knowing how good it sounded. ;)

I have a supreme respect for great tones and none of the modelers I've used sound that good. But for 95% of what I do they sound just fine and provide lots of sounds and effects for next to nothing in cost. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I know there are ZOOM-ophobes here, but, like Bill, I find a multi convenient - a lot more so than luggin' a Morely, TS9, DS1, chorus, flanger, delay, reverb, EQ, Noise Gate,......

I"m sure that in the studio, I'd be after the tone and flexibility of separate units. My humble 606 isn't to everyone's likin', but it holds up well, and some good voicings and textures can be dialed in.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Archived