Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bill Connors

Fumblyfingers

I really liked Bill Connors' work with RTF and his solo album "Step It" was awesome.

I was browsing iTunes and I noticed a 2004 release I missed of his...." Return".

Man, what a nice album, some stellar playing all 'round, great collection of muzo's. I feel retarded for having missed it. Still, a nice find!

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my all time favorite albums is an acoustic thing he did for ECM called "Swimming With A Hole In My Body". The pieces all seemed to be free-form impressionistic journeys, sometimes soothing, sometimes jarringly dissonant, always interesting.

Unfortunately it was a cassette and it met the same end as most of those damn things.....

Bill connors is most definitely the SH (toothpick) T !

He was dismissed as a Holdsworth clone on his 80's albums, but I believe those were shallow critiques

I believe he includes a more down home, rootsy blues rock edge to the outside legato lines more so than holdsworth and his stuff seems to groove more so than allan's stuff as well

Good thread, FF

Hi yZe, how goes it? You know I really like the chord voicings he uses a lot. Usually fairly sparse fingerings on the higher strings, he let's the bass do it's job......well he uses stellar bass players....I just love the voicings...like those min 9th chords with the 9th and the 3rd voiced so you get that minor 2nd interval happening....sweet dissonance to my ear!

Well that's my take on it anyway. I never really heard Holdsworth in him at all. This album is so much more straight ahead and clean jazz tones though....good stuff.

Justus, I wish I can find that ECM release...probably way out of print yeah?

Connors' work on Stanley Clarke's self-title solo album is outstanding electric playing from just after the RTF album, @1974. Anyone who thinks the 80's albums were ripping off Holdworth needs to go back and check the calendar on that one.

There are three albums from that late 80's electric period after Connors had spent many years doing acoustic music on ECM. Look for them all. :)

"Return" is a really cool different direction, more straight ahead, but still really energized. :thu:

One thing that should be pointed out -- on the recent album he plays unlike any of his earlier stuff... from his website bio:

For the past ten years, Connors has been giving private lessons while continuing his stylistic and technical studies of the works of jazz greats. Hes now playing plectrum style on a classical jazz guitar, an archtop electric, and

he returns to record as a mature professional with a highly polished level of musicianship, a sure sense of direction, and the same overriding love for the music that has always been his touchstone.

It's much closer to "straight-ahead" jazz than any of his earlier things, and it's really quite good and also very modern-sounding... a fantastic ensemble playing with him too...

Archived