Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Thousand Year Egg? Sas?

Bluesape

Sas, I'm pretty sure you made a reference to this dish. It was on the menu at a Szechuan restaurant this evening. I didn't order it, because I couldn't recall whether you liked or hated the one you had overseas. You'd mentioned one type of egg was delicious, and another that pretty much induced vomiting, and I couldn't recall which, so I held off in wait for your recollection. Does it ring a bell? :eek:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yep! The "thousand year egg" is Chinese. It is DELICIOUS. It is especially good with spiced jellyfish (I swear I'm serious).

The other one is balut. It is from the Phillipines. It will kill you. Or at least make you wish you were dead. It is supremely nasty. My dog will lick his butt, eat poop and roll in liquefied dead birds in the yard. I'm pretty sure he would not eat balut. But if he did, he would do all of those things afterwards, but it would be to get the taste out of his mouth and the smell off of him.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Oh, by the way...the process for making the "Thousand Year Eggs" (which go by other names, too..such as black eggs or "hei dan") is like this:

1. Take some clay and mix it with a lot of pickling lime and some water and make it slightly softer than modeling clay

2. Take a fresh raw chicken egg (ji dan), wrap it up in the clay and bury it.

3. Let it stay buried for 30 days.

The lime will leech through the egg shell and solidify and pickle the egg inside the shell. The "white" of the egg will turn a dark, transparent almost black color with a hint of amber, the yolk will turn a sort of greenish-yellow. The texture is roughly the same as a hard-boiled egg. The flavor is sort of a cheesy flavor that is difficult to describe, but delicious.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Yep! The "thousand year egg" is Chinese. It is DELICIOUS. It is especially good with spiced jellyfish (I swear I'm serious).

The other one is balut. It is from the Phillipines. It will kill you. Or at least make you wish you were dead. It is supremely nasty. My dog will lick his butt, eat poop and roll in liquefied dead birds in the yard. I'm pretty sure he would not eat balut. But if he did, he would do all of those things afterwards, but it would be to get the taste out of his mouth and the smell off of him.

That is the most hilarious description of balut I've ever read. Almost pee'd my pants! Some guys in the service liked this stuff - must have cause I saw some that ate it when they weren't drunk. Not me, though. I like my chickens either totally runny or totally grown. None of those in-between stages for me.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

So. The Norwegian folks around here soak fish in lye and then eat it. It's called Lutefisk. It smells so bad there is no way I've ever been able to make myself try it.

It makes a terrific skunk repellent though. :D

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Archived