Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Great deal on SCSI drives for your DAW!

miroslav

These are and older model...and they are 80pin server drives, so you need to get the $5 adapter to turn them into a 68pin...

...but they are only $33 for a 73GB 10k drive...!!!

Brand new drives at Hyper Microsystems! These were intended for high-end A/V applications.

I just bought 4 of them...two will go right into my computer...and another two will go into an external SCSI enclosure to be used for backups.

http://www.hypermicro.com/product.asp?pf_id=HDSE309

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey Griff...you've got your old avatar back! :thu:

Well...SCSI is an "acquired taste". ;)

You don't see SCSI in any off-the-shelf home systems...or in any of your typical workstations...especially these days, as everything is going SATA...

...and because SCSI is more expensive.

But I kinda' grew up with SCSI drives...always had them in the high-end multimedia workstations at my day gig...

...so when I got my studio DAW...I went with SCSI.

I was just amazed at how inexpensive these Cheetahs were!

They probably cost $300-$400 when they were first introduced.

I've been running a pair of 36GB Fujitsu SCSI drives...and then backing up to an external 160GB Lacie USB drive...but since my system has the older USB 1.1...it takes a long time to transfer several GB...

...plus, as my projects grow...the 36GB drives are running out of working space.

Now I can have a pair of 73GB drives inside the DAW...and another pair on the external SCSI bus. :cool:

That will fix both space and backup speed issuesand I will still use the Lacie for archival backups, along with the DVD burner.

Anywayif you use SCSI$33 is about as low as you will ever see for these kind of drives!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Oh believe me, dude. I'm all about some Scuzzy action, but I just haven't had the money to drop a controller into my system.

Hell, it's been hard enough trying to get Windoze to handle a simple IDE RAID (I have an onboard controller for that!) never mind an extra controller with more drives...

However, I may just have to try and scratch up some cash for those. I've been looking into some SCSI-onboard mobos for my next upgrade - nothing wrong with having the drives already here...

Archived