Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epi Joe Pass static on the strings

sleepwalk

Hi folks,

I usually post on the keyboard forum as I am a keys player first, but I took up guitar about 7-8 months ago. I just got an Epiphone Joe Pass on ebay. This is a hollowbody. It's got a pretty nice sound but I'm getting small static 'pops' when i first touch the strings. some sort of ground issue apparently. I know it's not my amp because it does the same thing when I plug direct into my mixing board. Also there is a slight crackle when turning the pot nearest the guitar chord jack. I don't know exactly yet how the four pots work, it says 2 are 'volume' and 2 are 'tone', but i still haven't really figured out which are which. (I just turn up the ones i like the sound of). The toggle switch seems fine. Also, the pickups on the guitar are not the factory ones, they've been replaced with Kent Armstrong pickups.

Anyone have any advice on what i can do to get rid of this "static" ? thanks,

Jon

Suitcase 73 - D6 - Poly 800 - ATC-1 - Motif Rack - XV-2020 - plug-ins

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Anyone have any advice on what i can do to get rid of this 'static?'"

1. Die

2. Lose your hearing

3. Don't plug your guitar in

For the most part, you need to live with it. The strings are grounded and you are the final part of that circuit. As long as you remain in contact with the strings, it won't buzz. As for the pots, they are probably cheap and a bit of potentiometer lubricant (Google is your friend), NOT WD-40, may well help you with the noise there.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

Originally posted by FormerOceanwaySlave:

"Anyone have any advice on what i can do to get rid of this 'static?'"

1. Die

2. Lose your hearing

3. Don't plug your guitar in

For the most part, you need to live with it. The strings are grounded and you are the final part of that circuit. As long as you remain in contact with the strings, it won't buzz. As for the pots, they are probably cheap and a bit of potentiometer lubricant (Google is your friend), NOT WD-40, may well help you with the noise there.

Cheers,

Alan Tomlinson

so you are saying, this is normal ? i have to always keep in contact with the strings to avoid this noise ?

Originally posted by sleepwalk:

... The strings are grounded and you are the final part of that circuit. As long as you remain in contact with the strings, it won't buzz...

so you are saying, this is normal ? i have to always keep in contact with the strings to avoid this noise ?
Pretty much. Now if you have an unbearable amount of buzzing either while touching the strings or not touching the strings, you probably have a grounding issue in the guitar. If it just crackles when you first touch the strings it's pretty standard for an electric guitar.

BTW - An Emperor w/Kent Armstrongs ought to be a VERY nice sounding instrument. :thu:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

... The strings are grounded and you are the final part of that circuit. As long as you remain in contact with the strings, it won't buzz...

Pretty much. Now if you have an unbearable amount of buzzing either while touching the strings or not touching the strings, you probably have a grounding issue in the guitar. If it just crackles when you first touch the strings it's pretty standard for an electric guitar.

BTW - An Emperor w/Kent Armstrongs ought to be a VERY nice sounding instrument. :thu:

yeah, it's that beautiful jazz sound i'm going for. i bought this guitar to record with. okay, i guess i'll just have to get used to keeping my fingers in contact. i wasn't aware of this. I guess I should get a teacher to hip me to these things. thanks guys,

Jon

...okay, i guess i'll just have to get used to keeping my fingers in contact. i wasn't aware of this. I guess I should get a teacher to hip me to these things. thanks guys,

Jon

Here's another tip:

If I need to completely lift my fretting fingers away from the guitar while playing I make a point to mute the strings (and at the same time eliminate the buzz) by putting the side or palm of my picking hand against the strings at the bridge. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Mudcat:

...okay, i guess i'll just have to get used to keeping my fingers in contact. i wasn't aware of this. I guess I should get a teacher to hip me to these things. thanks guys,

Jon

Here's another tip:

If I need to completely lift my fretting fingers away from the guitar while playing I make a point to mute the strings (and at the same time eliminate the buzz) by putting the side or palm of my picking hand against the strings at the bridge. Nothing like killing two birds with one stone.

yeah i was actually thinking of that...thanks !

Archived