Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Mandolin

Chad Thorne

I know that some people here, like me, double on mandolin (Eric Iverson, where y'at?). Well.

About a week and a half ago I ordered a mandolin from Mid-Missouri Mandolins. It came today. What a beautiful instrument! and outrageously pretty tone!

I bought an M-1: http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c32/cft3/m1.gif

but with custom options: lefty, bound fingerboard, white binding on the body to match. Mike built me a gorgeous instrument, and it only cost me $560.00 (options extra).

No affiliation other than being a customer, but if you're looking for an extremely well-made, great-sounding, AMERICAN MADE mando, you could do lots worse than Mid-Mo, www.midmomandolin.com.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey thanks for the tip! Thats a really streamlined mandolin, I like it a lot. I've been thinking about getting one for the past year or two, but spending about $400 for some type of Asian Fender wasn't really what I was looking for.

That's a really great looking mandolin, I'm definitely going to keep these guys in mind. Nice buy!

-a

Where am I at? Hiding under a desk, due to an almost pathological shyness...

Seriously, tomorrow I'm going to pick up a cool resonator mandolin, which I had the guy install a contact mike on. So the timing couldn't be better! Go for it, Chad! Maybe we should write a song together.. and no I'm not kidding at all!

And now it's time to crawl back under my desk, at least until it's time to get on stage and have fun.... even mandolin players have to have a little fun sometime!

Anyone check out this bad boy yet? My uncle has one at his music store. I'm not a Mando guy, but this thing is cool!

http://www.rockinn.co.jp/maniac/gibson/epi_mandbird/mandbird_vs.jpg

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Then there was this:

http://members.aol.com/neilbergmn/family/banjolin.jpg

I love playing around with it.

Xplorer, I've messed around with the Mando-bird at the Gibson Showcase. Fun instrument!

But one of these days I'd like a nice F-style instrument. Gotta keep looking for a used one.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Xplorer:

Anyone check out this bad boy yet? My uncle has one at his music store. I'm not a Mando guy, but this thing is cool!

I checked out the Gibson trailer & tent at the Chicago blues festival this past fall and don't recall seeing the Mandobird anywhere. In fact they only had one instrument that wasn't a guitar, a Thunderbird bass, and I had to wait in line to get my hands on that!

I thought only the 8-string emando was made by Rickenbacker? Well, I learn something new every day!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Chad, I wonder what he needs in the way of tools? are you going to talk to him, I have lots of suppliers who get rid of great wood working and metal working equipment all the time, don't know just an idea.

Ellwood, what a nice thought. You might email him at dulak@midmomandolin.com or leave a message at 573-698-3300. You'd have as good a chance of reaching him as I would. You might mention that I (Chad Thorne) told you about his situation.

I'm also going to send him a check - made out to him, Michael Dulak, not Mid-Missouri Mandolin - for a Mid-Mo T-shirt. Good juju, a great memento of a fine shop, and maybe the few bucks he makes off the shirt will help. Maybe somebody else would like to, too? I myself am going to mail it to him without knowing if there are T-shirts still left or not.

Originally posted by Chad:

Chad, I wonder what he needs in the way of tools? are you going to talk to him, I have lots of suppliers who get rid of great wood working and metal working equipment all the time, don't know just an idea.

Ellwood, what a nice thought. You might email him at dulak@midmomandolin.com or leave a message at 573-698-3300. You'd have as good a chance of reaching him as I would. You might mention that I (Chad Thorne) told you about his situation.

I'm also going to send him a check - made out to him, Michael Dulak, not Mid-Missouri Mandolin - for a Mid-Mo T-shirt. Good juju, a great memento of a fine shop, and maybe the few bucks he makes off the shirt will help. Maybe somebody else would like to, too? I myself am going to mail it to him without knowing if there are T-shirts still left or not.

Chad, I will see what he has in mind tomorrow. I just hate to hear about this kind of thing... machinery is easy, skill in not!

While I sympathize with Mike, I hope this is a lesson to anyone else with an uninsured business that you must make insurance a primary priority. It isn't optional.

I hope Mike finds a way to rebuild his business. Hopefully he's learned that lesson and will protect himself and his neighbors in the event of another tragedy.

I hate to see a quality business go under.. especially when it was entirely preventable. (The fallout, not the cause.)

Originally posted by RicBassGuy:

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I checked out the Gibson trailer & tent at the Chicago blues festival this past fall and don't recall seeing the Mandobird anywhere. In fact they only had one instrument that wasn't a guitar, a Thunderbird bass, and I had to wait in line to get my hands on that!

I thought only the 8-string emando was made by Rickenbacker? Well, I learn something new every day!

The trailer doesn't have a static inventory on display from place to place. They tailor it to the event. Gibson artist relations in Nashville has a wide variety of instruments that are loaned for tv appearances, use in the trailer and other advertising opportunities. Not really surprising they didn't waste a position on a Mandobird at the Chicago Blues festival. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

From Mike Dulak, by email today:

"My attorney is setting me up a new company. The Big Muddy Mando Co.

If I have any tools left, I can get on with it. We shall see in the upcoming days.

Many folks have stepped up for us and hopefully, we will rise again. It's just too much fun not to be doing. Its gonna be hard to keep in touch with everybody, so keep an eye out for our ressurction. I will post stuff on the midmo website as things progress."

Here's an emando for you....electroMando to be exact...and here's a soundclip too....

http://www.electrocoustic.com/newimage/mandoFB.jpg

On the clip, Scott Tichenor( owner of

www.mandolincafe.com ) is on mandolin, Steve Ozark of Ozark Talent is on the fretless electroCoustic bass, and I'm playing electroCoustic guitar.

http://www.electrocoustic.com/audio/All%20of%20Meando.mp3

I'm working on a 18 inch thickness plainer a 22 inch jointer and a 20 inch reversable disc sander and possiably a 4X8 foot surface plate with a large arm and post combination detail post router. I have to make sure these are not 440 Volt 3 phase machines, allot of the job shops here are wired that way and allot of the smaller companies are only 220V 2 phase...I can get a speed and phase converter though for him... we will see many times this equipment can be had as a write off. Anyway I did some calling around the suppliers today and got that far..we will see what happens.

Originally posted by dave251:

Here's an emando for you....electroMando to be exact...and here's a soundclip too....

:D I was going to point out a few other electric mandolins including yours, Dave, but could only find the Gibson and Epi versions of the Mandobird and yours... so I decided not to say anything. :o

I know there are a few others, but I couldn't remember who made them. Rigel was my first thought, but they only seem to have acoustic mandolins with installed p'ups.

Glad you posted! That electromando is beautiful! :thu:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I'm working on a 18 inch thickness plainer a 22 inch jointer and a 20 inch reversable disc sander and possiably a 4X8 foot surface plate with a large arm and post combination detail post router. I have to make sure these are not 440 Volt 3 phase machines, allot of the job shops here are wired that way and allot of the smaller companies are only 220V 2 phase...I can get a speed and phase converter though for him... we will see many times this equipment can be had as a write off. Anyway I did some calling around the suppliers today and got that far..we will see what happens.

You da mang.

We should talk; I could use a planer and jointer myself... :D

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Originally posted by dave251:

:D I was going to point out a few other electric mandolins including yours, Dave, but could only find the Gibson and Epi versions of the Mandobird and yours... so I decided not to say anything. :o

I know there are a few others, but I couldn't remember who made them. Rigel was my first thought, but they only seem to have acoustic mandolins with installed p'ups...

BTW, Rigel just went out of business, too...

I don't know the details about Rigel, but to me it's sad when any hard-working mom & pop company that actually cares about providing quality products and/or services goes under!

The only solution, as best I see it, is to support the little guy whenever you can.. or can afford to!

Unless, of course, you rejoice in the homogenization of America... or eventually the world!

Actually I think what keeps "small town America" alive today is the Internet... where people from all over the world with common interests can pool their resources!

Archived