Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Quick Question: Swamp Ash?

AeroG33k

Is there a difference between Ash and Swamp Ash? I thought they were the same, but on warmoth they list both...I figured that it was the same tree, with Swamp Ash being the moist part of the tree that actually grows in the swamp (which, from what I hear, sounds significantly better than top pieces), but they post cost the same!!

Am I missing something? What's the deal?

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just found that warmoth has a wood explanation section (d'oh, I missed that). If anyone else is curious (taken from warmoth):

Northern Hard Ash is very hard, heavy and dense. A Strat® body will normally weigh 5 lbs. and up. Its density contributes to a bright tone and a long sustain which makes it very popular. Its color is creamy, but it also tends to have heartwood featuring pink to brown tints. The grain pores are open and it takes a lot of finish to fill them up.

Swamp Ash is a prized wood for many reasons. It is a fairly light weight wood which makes it easily distinguishable from Hard Ash. A Strat® body will normally weigh under 5 lbs. Many of the 50's Fenders were made of Swamp Ash. The grain is open and the color is creamy. This wood is a very nice choice for clear finishes. Swamp Ash is our second most popular wood. It is a very musical wood offering a very nice balance of brightness and warmth with a lot of "pop".

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Archived