Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Please help Save the Grande Ball Room - On Line Petition

Dr. Ellwood

This was such a wonderful place to play! I played there many times and it has a special place in my heart as it does to many Detroit Rockers, Please if you could take a second and sign this petition to save it on the National Historical Register it might go along way to preserve Detroit's Rock past thanks: This is how the petition reads:

To: State Historic Preservation Office - Michigan

We the undersigned hereby nominate Detroits Grande Ballroom for inclusion in the National Register of Historic Places. The Charles Agree designed Grande Ballroom has reserved for Detroit a place in international music history. An innovative venue for genre-establishing Michigan rock acts such as the MC5, the Stooges and the Rationals, the Grande also was the first venue to properly feature international acts of significant importance. The Who first presented the rock opera Tommy" at the ballroom and legends such as Janis Joplin, Cream, Fleetwood Mac, Pink Floyd, Jeff Beck, Jefferson Airplane, and the Yardbirds were regularly showcased.

The Grande would be the fourth Charles Agree design to be registered, his first with such important cultural and historical significance.

Sincerely,

PETITION LINK: http://www.thegrandeballroom.com/

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yip I am not a resident of America but save whatever great buildings there are all over the world, I have signed up.

I am sure many of you have great memories of this place, dont let another one slide away to be replaced by glass tower blocks that have no soul.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

OK...the petition is easy enough...done.

But once a building like this makes it into the Register of Historic places....what happens after that?

Where does the funding to preserve/maintain this building (and others) come from...?

Does the current owner of the building have to pay for anything...and does the current owner give up any rights...etc???

The reason I ask is because I work in an area that is made up of a LOT of historic buildings...and man, it's a real pain in the ass for those people who have to work/live inside some of those historic buildings, because they can't even install air conditioning or hang pictures on the walls (can't put holes in the wall)...etc.

without running it past some historic committee for approval.

Even basic upgrades that one would do to an old building are often NOT allowed, because they would kill the "historic" value of the building.

So...if these historic buildings are used only as museums & visitor centers...it's one thing...

...but for anyone that has to live/work inside of a historic building...it can be a real PITA!

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Archived