Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How many guitars is 'enough'?

Fender Bender_dup1

Showed Metallica's 'Some kind of Monster' on a channel here in the UK last night. Roadie says to the new bass guy who was auditioning in the studio, "Yeah, like they own 600 odd guitars, most of them are kept elsewhere" I was like, 600 guitars?!?! How the heck can they play 600 geetars? It would take a whole week just to play a tune on each of them!
Give me a break!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this proves you cant have toooo many.

A lot become investors in guitars etc.... and some even rent them out, god forbid.

I would need a larger house for 600 but would be nice along with 2 full time guitar techs etc....

G :D

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by ellwood:

Three: One Gibson LP, One Strat, and one good acoustic.

yes i can agree with this Lee but how many on show even in your Avtar????

Come on be honest we cant resist....

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by The Big G:

yes i can agree with this Lee but how many on show even in your Avtar????

Come on be honest we cant resist....

G

Oh of coarse we can't!! but I'm talking BARE essentials here!! I'm talking scraping by here, example: If for some reason you became a street person...and carried everyting you own in a shopping cart... these three guitars would still be required!! but it's not a problem is it? you simply use TWO CARTS LOL!!! :eek::D:thu:

Enough would be four. One LP, one Strat, one good steel-string acoustic and one good nylon-string classical.

By the way, "too many" guitars would equate to all you can acquire plus one.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

As long as I have at least one with at least 4 working strings Ill be happy.

I betchya 550 of those guitars were gifts from various gtr mftr's to try and get them to play it out live.. or even endorse it.... AND i bet they havent even touched at least 350 of them..

I dont think I have the time to try out and buy 600 gtrs I procrastinate enough as it is.

I bought a program from Yes' "Drama" tour. The page on Steve Howe had him in a room with about a hundred guitars. I drooled. And I'm sure that at one time or another, he has played them all. Same with John Entwistle's collection. GAS heaven!

I could name about 20 that I'd really like to have. 100? Maybe if I got really creative. 600? Only if it's those 100 guitars in several colors each.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

I'm kind of dumb to realize that I've just bought another guitar that plays and sounds just like my other guitars.... so now I just get rid of the crap and keep the things that are truly unique.

600 guitars! How many of those would you guess are Explorers!

Explorers.. only so many originals made, only so many good original reissues cranked out in 76 as well.. the rest are crap. IMHO

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Originally posted by Danzilla:

I bought a program from Yes' "Drama" tour. The page on Steve Howe had him in a room with about a hundred guitars.

Some of those are well over a 100 years old! He's got things of every dimension and like David Lindley he figures them out and uses them.

That's a working collection not just some ass hole coveting that which he cannot fully appreciate.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

To be satisfied I'd need:

ESP M2

PRS Custom 24

Gibson LP, SG, Eplorer

Fender Strat, Fat Strat

Jackson King V,Rhoads V, Soloist, Phil Collin

BC Rick Warlock, Old School Bitch

Dean Dime V, Dean From Hell ML

Ibanez RG7

Schecter C1, Black Jack C7

Parker Fly

Line 6 Variaxe

...and a Lado Custom Rocker

I know I will need to add to this!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Just as the strat and LP are necessary for their different voices, both a dread and a smaller bodied acoustic are essential. Add in a 12-string acoustic and a classical guitar and we find six guitars are the bare minimum.

But, wait!

You have to have spruce, cedar and mahogany topped acoustics and we've now reached a bare minimum 14 guitars.

Oh, everyone needs at least one bass guitar too....and an acoustic bass, and......

Originally posted by Guitars are like shoes. But louder.:

Originally posted by Danzilla:

I bought a program from Yes' "Drama" tour. The page on Steve Howe had him in a room with about a hundred guitars.

Some of those are well over a 100 years old! He's got things of every dimension and like David Lindley he figures them out and uses them.

That's a working collection not just some ass hole coveting that which he cannot fully appreciate.

I've mentioned this before, but it's worth repeating. In an interview Howe that that owning more than 63 guitars is "obsessive". I agree.

Originally posted by Fender Bender:

Showed Metallica's 'Some kind of Monster' on a channel here in the UK last night. Roadie says to the new bass guy who was auditioning in the studio, "Yeah, like they own 600 odd guitars, most of them are kept elsewhere" I was like, 600 guitars?!?! How the heck can they play 600 geetars? It would take a whole week just to play a tune on each of them!

I still want Kirk's beat-up custom ESP... the one he's had since about 1988. He can keep the rest. If he's willing to give a po'boy like me another one along with that, I'll take it. :D

That, and Hetfield's ESP baritone 7. Mmhmm.

I'd also like Liona Boyd's custom classical guitars. Apparently, they're designed with a narrower string spacing. Might be useful for me.

Ibanez Artwood 7 steel string acoustic.

Because I love cheese, this would come in handy . :P

If Buckethead ever has a blowout sale of his axes, I'm getting the first plane ticket to California just to buy one. I want some of that bucket grease. :D

IbanezUniversed@mn1t.

?

Originally posted by Xplorer:

ESP M2

PRS Custom 24

Gibson LP, SG, Eplorer

Fender Strat, Fat Strat

Ibanez RG7

Parker Fly

Line 6 Variaxe

Errrrm you seem to be missing this

http://www.jacksonguitars.com/products/prod_images/guitars/2840000102_md.gif

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

ESP M2

PRS Custom 24

Gibson LP, SG, Eplorer

Fender Strat, Fat Strat

Ibanez RG7

Parker Fly

Line 6 Variaxe

Yes, I forgot that one, too. Love the big beer bottle opener edges. :thu::D

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Originally posted by Trucks.Of.Love:

ESP M2

PRS Custom 24

Gibson LP, SG, Eplorer

Fender Strat, Fat Strat

Ibanez RG7

Parker Fly

Line 6 Variaxe

Yes, I forgot that one, too. Love the big beer bottle opener edges. :thu::D
:P

:D

No,no,no,no,no! That simply isn't enough to cover any situation you might run into. You need at least 5 acoustics(Archtop, resonator, 6 string, 12 string and nylon string), 6 electrics(12 string, Strat, LP, Hollowbody jazz box, semi-hollow 335-style, and an ancient cheapo set up for slide), and a few specialty axes(lap steel, electric sitar, mini-guitar, mandolin/mandola/mandocello, etc.). After that, it's all gravy.

I don't think 600 guitars is too many, if you can afford to take care of them properly. Rick Nielson says his collection is an investment, for when his kids need college money, etc. The way prices have gone up on vintage axes, it's a pretty good investment at that.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Trucks, you know me too well. Another pointy key to my heart!

I'm still stoked about the Agile PS-970 PRS 24fret copy w/ Floyd. Thats the least pointy guitar I've ever looked at!

I feel like a kid again! Man, I love GAS!

What a horrible night to have a curse.

It all depends on what you wanna do w/ them...

To me "bare essentials" would mean:

a good classical

an electric w/ humbuckers and coil-splitters...

Maybe 5 to cover more ground:

a classical

a steel-string acoustic

eletric, Strat-type thang, 3-single coil thing w/ option to blend bridge ann neck pups

a two-humbucker, mahogany guitar, Les Paul type thing

a hollowbody electric w/ Spruce top and at least a neck pickup

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

I get stick for the 'nine' I have. Three strats. 1 tele, 1 LP, 1 LP Junior, 1 Hamer strat type, 1 ancient Ibanez that I've refitted with a floyd and Seymours, and 1 cheap jap acoustic. I'd like a gretsch, but I'd just play the same stuff on it.

If Metallica have 350 guitars they never look at they should donate them to a music charity. I suspect most will be handmade US customs worth plenty $$$$ hence the storgae.

Give me a break!

I'm content with my current assortment (homebrew Strat, Gretsch Tennessean, P-Bass and an inexpensive Washburn flattop) with two exceptions: 1) I would like to upgrade my flattop and 2) I still need an electric 12-string, preferably a Rickenbacker (I don't think anyone has mentioned an electric 12 string yet :confused: ).

It would be great to also have either an LP or ES type guitar with humbuckers, but quite frankly, I can get 99% of the tones I'm going after with the Strat alone.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Archived