Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Godin Exit 22 and SD Custom -- what do you think?

d.r.e.a.m.i.s.t

I got Exit 22 recently. The build quality is top-notch, but the sound is not quite there yet for the type of music I play.

Basically I want some tight modern metal rhythm sounds from the bridge, while keeping the whole guitar versatile for all other styles (mostly pop and funk). So I'm thinking about replacing the bridge pickup some time.

What I'm looking at now is a Seymour Duncan Custom. Do you think it will fit well with what I want here? Do you think there's better choice out there?

The guitar has mahogany body with rosewood fingerboard. One of the thing I'm worrying about is how to keep the whole pickup combination balanced, so I think a very high-gain humbucker might not be the best choice.

If you think it's a good idea, you may also suggest a whole set of new pickups. Thank you very much. :)

...beginner struggling to become a better beginner...

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If you wanted some tight metal....What sort of amp are you using? I ask this because i had a schecter custom with a Invader in the bride PU. IT SOUNDED MEAN, But when i wanted clean a coil tapp, Or even the series gave me awsome sounds. When i wanted crunch, I got smooth Heavy crunch with snarl. And when i wanted Overdrive, That baby pushed my amp into the corner and had it's way with it. :D
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

Duncan JB http://smilies.vidahost.com/contrib/navigator/lhdevil.gif

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

If you're considering the Custom, also consider the Custom Custom. Many say it's "smoother", although maybe if you're looking into playing ultra-heavy metal rhythms that won't help that much. Also, it's fairly high-output... I think it's just the same winding as a Custom, but w/ an Alnico 2 magnet instead.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Thanks for all the suggestions so far. :)

I don't have a real amp yet. Here I'm using Line 6 Toneport with a monitor speaker.

As for Invader, I've heard that although it screams hard, it doesn't do as well in clean sounds. I'm also afraid that it will far overpower the remaining single coils.

So my choice now, based on the suggestions here would be JB, Duncan Custom, and Custom Custom. Too bad pickups are not something we could try before buy. :(

...beginner struggling to become a better beginner...

I also have an Exit 22, but with the maple board.

I recently bought a new guitar, Yamaha AES 720 and I had to replace its bridge pickup (neck coming soon) with a Custom Custom. So I made a direct comparation. The Custom Custom isn't really hotter than the stock Godin, but it sounds smoother, with some really nice mids.

You can check the sounds of the various SD pickups on their site, it is really accurate.

Despite JB's imense popularity, I think it souds really thin and screechy, definitly not a good sound for agressive tight chops.

And a quick edit: You really should consider the "Full Shred" Pickup, it really is my favourite but I couldn't find it quickly enough. Very much like a custom custom, but with a bit more bass and agressivity.

The Livewires Metal was recommended on the SD forum for my son. They said you would use the neck for cleans. Heard it will make any small SS amp scream. Someone also said it makes the EMG 81 sound tame. You would then use your mid and neck for the clean tones. Maybe put a boost pedal in there for your clean tones - or just buy a metal petal. These get very good reviews.

AMT

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived