Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking to upload my music

Daegal

Hey everyone, I'm a musician, and I'm looking for all the sites that I can upload my music for free on. I already have myspace, garageband, purevolume, broadjam, but want to find others. I figure that I should have my music up on all of them.

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I figure that I should have my music up on all of them.
I know some folks just like to upload their music creations even if they are not really looking to "sell/promote" towards anything major.

But for those of you that are uploading your music to all the different online outlets for the specific purpose of selling/promoting for a shot at something major...

...what kind of action have you gotten out of it so far?

I don't mean just how many people visit/download your music for free...

...but rather, have you gotten any "real" bites from the music industry?

I'm talking about something/anything that's allowed you music to move up to a "higher level" of distribution...

...as in, youre making some real $$$ back out of it alland/or the real possibility of doing it soon. (Not just your hopes/wishes...but actual music industry interest/action.)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Miro,

Suppose I'm talking (or corrseponding) with somebody who might want me to write or produce something for them. They want a sample, I can point them right to the website. No disc to mail, no wait three days

Suppose I'm playing a gig and I run out of merchandise :o Point 'em to the website.

It's part of a plan, not the entire plan.

That's all cool Bill...and I do see the benefit of using uploads for those purposes. :thu:

But when the original poster stated, "I figure that I should have my music up on all of them." it implies more of a focus toward actual selling/promoting of one's music.

dont you think?

Heckyou don't need to upload to a dozen different websites for the conveniences you refer to...one website would do the trick. ;)

So...I'm just curious if anyone on our forums is getting anywhere (serious music industry buzz) with this type of online self-promotion...or has it all become just a...

1. convenience (for the things you mentioned)

...or...

2. a "personal music album" (like a photo album) that people want to share out to their friends, families, their egos and/or anyone that wants to download...etc.but with no real industry action.

Self promotion of ones music on the Internet was the BIG buzz several years back...that it would allow people to "make it"...without having to go the traditional route.

I'm just curious who, if anyone, on these forums has realized that?...

(and you cant use Ani DiFranco as an example :D ).

Oh...and I'm NOT knocking it, as I too will be uploading my new stuff in the not too distant future...I'm just curious about people's experiences when trying to actually use it as a real promotional tool.

2. a "personal music album" (like a photo album) that people want to share out to their friends, families, their egos and/or anyone that wants to download...etc.but with no real industry action.
What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by miroslav:

But when the original poster stated, "I figure that I should have my music up on all of them." it implies more of a focus toward actual selling/promoting of one's music.

dont you think?

Heckyou don't need to upload to a dozen different websites for the conveniences you refer to...one website would do the trick. ;)

Well, meet Madi Diaz . She has an extra step up from the movie thing (read her bio), but she's on several sites.

It's just more free exposure. I wouldn't go too crazy about it, because you get what you pay for. But,some music-consumer-fan-peoples might shy away from Myspace, and feel comfortable on Broadjam (or vice versa), so what the hey.

If you have 3000 fans on your myspace list, you can point to that built-in fan base in your negotiations with traditional promoters. Remember, the music business isn't about music, it's about findig eyeballs to place advertising in front of. ;)

Originally posted by Billster:

Remember, the music business isn't about music, it's about finding eyeballs to place advertising in front of. ;)

Right...and that's why I'm curious how these sites are working out for people.

The other day when YouTube was being eyeballed the by the Yahoo (or was it Google) management to purchase (at a few billion dollars, or some crazy amount)...the economists/market people on the news channels where saying that it really wasn't as viable as some people were making it out to be. That as soon as those sites become full of advertisers...the "kids" would split...

...and so there goes the "eyeballs to place advertising in front of as you put it.

They said that MySpace and YouTube and others...where a quick flash-in-the-pan...and then people just move on to something new (why doesn't that surprise me with the current "quick gratification" trends/generations :) ).

So...what is the real mileage that the majority of people are getting from all these uploads/websites...???

Archived