Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Strat alternatives

revolead

Hey dudes,

I've been wondering for quite some time now, are there alternatives to a Fender Strat (besides G and L) tha you guys have tried that are just as nice but not so expensive?

One of the problems with the Fenders is that a good one, IMO, costs at least 800-900 bucks. Am I missing something?

Fender used to produce the Cali Strat series, and my neighbor let me borrow one once. I fell in love with it, but sadly, I know he doesn't want to sell it. Should I be looking for something like this or move on to a different brand?

Thanks, Rev

Shut up and play.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, a standard response for cheap alternatives would be go to rondo. My SX P90 Strat was dirt cheap and sort of reflected that in hardware and parts, but nothing that couldn't be fixed, if you can tolerate that. However, I heard their higher-end Agile line is comparable to the real thing and still significantly cheaper.

-Andy

"I know we all can't stay here forever so I want to write my words on the face of today...and they'll paint it"

-Shannon Hoon (Blind Melon)

Look at the Godin Freeway Classic. You get some strat sounds with the single coil middle, but the thicker sounds of the humb on either side. Very nice guitar.

There is also the G&L Tribute line. The local music store tells me those are U.S. made pickups in them.

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

I should say that I do not mind paying like 500-600 bucks for one, I just don't trust some of the MIM Strats. A lot of 'em, not all of course, seem to lack decent hardware, which although it can be replaced, makes a huge difference, especially on an instrument designed around cheaper woods and finishes (as opposed to a PRS or Les Paul or whatever else).
Shut up and play.

I've got three Mexican Fender Strats in my household.

I bought one on eBay for something like $300, for the purpose of playing around with putting in some hand wound pick ups in it. I LOVE IT! I put some cr coils "SR" set pu in it, and it sounds and plays great. By the way, the original pu's were O.K.. But I bought the axe to put other pu into it. I did have to file down the ends of the fret wire, because they were sort of sharp.

I liked it so much, that each of my guitar playing son's got one as birthday gifts...One got a HSS , and the other a SSS, like mine. Each of theirs are also fine instruments. And, I got all of them on eBay, relatively cheap.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Yamaha pac 412, 612, and 812 are good strat alternatives.

and if the planets line up and you see one on ebay..do not wait, grab a Yamaha pacifica 904.

these are the cats arse, with warmoth compound radius necks, ash capped alder bodies and built to the hilt.

but as Yamaha always does , it is no longer made.

they have 4 alnico single coils, two which live in a humbucker surround disquised as a HB. the tone pot is a push/push, giving you pure real single coil sounds or beefy HB when non tapped.

Originally posted by caprae:

Look at the Godin Freeway Classic. You get some strat sounds with the single coil middle, but the thicker sounds of the humb on either side. Very nice guitar.

There is also the G&L Tribute line. The local music store tells me those are U.S. made pickups in them.

I have US Strats, and the Freeway is still at the top of my list. It's at least the equal of a Strat costing 2 to 3 times as much. The Switch guitars look interesting, but not like they'd fill a void left by a missing Strat. The Freeway Classic can hold its own with any guitar. :thu:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by guitarzan:

how can you argue with a flame topped , maple fretboarded superstrat for 579.00? :thu:

I have a flame-topped rosewood fretboard superstrat already that I'm in love with. (See pic) :D
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by mdrs:

I've got three Mexican Fender Strats in my household.

I bought one on eBay for something like $300, for the purpose of playing around with putting in some hand wound pick ups in it. I LOVE IT! I put some cr coils "SR" set pu in it, and it sounds and plays great. By the way, the original pu's were O.K.. But I bought the axe to put other pu into it. I did have to file down the ends of the fret wire, because they were sort of sharp.

Do you think these play as well as any American series Strat?

I thought about going this route. I'm a huge fan of guitar customization (if you don't like it there's always something you can do), but on the same note, a set of pickups and

other knicknacks can end up costing a pretty penny, thus bringing the price to around 600-700, anyway.

Shut up and play.

Howdy fella's, Ol'boy rivers here. Everyone dreams on that american strat, Not all of us can afford it! We all know that, Hell if we were all rich guitaring wouldn't be half as fun. My personal say, Go for a Stagg Players Deluxe. Great..GREAT guitars. I have one myself, The blue flake finish with the perloid guard. Ive replaced the switch, And put the Barbwire on it but it is a GREAT GUITAR. Awsome tone, Litteral Figured maple on the neck, The stock pick ups are even good. A little surfy, Little mellow and weaker then what some people are used to, But i love it to DEATH. It's stood the weather. I love stagg, So much that i bought their flying V. An epiphone lespaul elite sat next to that guitar, And the Stagg sounded better. The Stagg players deluxe is just a strat copy that will run you around 200, But you'll pay way more for that quality anywhere else! Hope this helps.
Never trouble trouble till' trouble troubles you.

Craig's list - Mexican and Japan Fender strats listed all the time (in Atlanta - I'm sure there's plenty in Colorado) - some ask a premium, but could probably be talked down.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Revolead

As Caprae and Reif have mentioned the Godin Freeway is a great guitar and yes can give some strat like sounds but for half the money. They are very good and i prefer the neck profile of the Godin too.

But as Mdrs mentioned a Mex strat would be agood option if a strat is your thing.

But as cap, Zan and Reif say godin rooools :D

try them all out.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Archived