Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

THE NEW FENDER: WORTH IT??

jpage_roxmysox

just got an email from fender about the new fender highway. just wondering if anybody owns one, or knows whether its a descent guitar or not. it looks really nice, and i trust fender, but im skeptical on how full of "new improved technology" its going to be, and if its worth the price

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
well, i'm currently playing a highway 1 original model and I can say that i'm almost completely satisfied. I've haven't really had any problems with it at all and have never had to touch it in terms of repair aside from typical minor adjustments like setting the action to my liking and putting bore oil on the neck occasionally, etc... I would have to say that fender's slogan of a "stripped down high end american strat" is very accurate. I just checked out the fender website to see exactly what they've upgraded. The headstock is now "fat 70's style" and they claim that they've changed the type of finish on it, although it's still really light looking and bares the wood grain really nicely(which I personally love). One bonus as far as sound goes is that the middle pick-up is now reverse wound, which coming from an old highway 1 owner is definately an improvement. These are really the only improvements I can see at the moment. However i'm only an intermediate player and while im not exactly illiterate when it comes to guitar tech Im not extremely savvy either. The bottom line is that Fender probly saw the sales of highway 1 going down and wanted a way to increase them again. It's not to say that they didn't have to guitar players in mind, but the highway 1 is a great guitar for the price no matter what model you get. I was really pressed for cash when I bought it (and still am), and my expectation was to buy that strat and basically play the hell out of it until I got a decent paying job, and I've never even thought of buying another electric during the three years that I've owned it, so I guess it lived up to my expectations. If you get one I hope it lives up to yours as well. good luck.

Archived