Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

george harrison.....

mdrs

no doubt in my mind that he was under-recognized;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8YpcIv14nM&mode=related&search=

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIDz9CzfcFE&mode=related&search=

Holy $hit....Clapton is playing a GIBSON LES PAUL....CHECK OUT HIS TONE

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don,

George was also very under rated! He held many tunes together with his skills, Some of his riffs have been copied for years. His Double Album "ALL THINGS MUST PAST", the first Solo effort went multi platinum and contained some incredible music and guitar work.

As for Clapton with a Les Paul, Clapton played a Les Paul often in his early career. He was also known to play a SG and a Telecaster before becoming a Strat only guy.

Peace

If you want to see something incredible (yes, it's that good) you should pick up the dvd of the "Concert for George". It is a video of a tribute-style show put on exactly one year after his death and includes many of his best songs both as a solo artist and many Beatles songs. An unbelievable all-star cast of various people George knew and worked with over the years. There are what seems like more than 20 people onstage all playing at the same time and every single one of them is at the absolute top of his game as far as playing and enthusiasm are concerned. The respect they all have for George is so visible during the entire show.

Some notables on the stage (actually, every person on the stage is notable):

McCartney

Ringo

Clapton (actually plays an acoustic at one point)

Jeff Lyne

Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (great rendition of Taxman)

Billy Preston

Paul's version of Something is brilliant, starts with just him and a ukalele.

Anyway, all I can say is, if you like George, The Beatles, or even if you like music at all go out and get it today.

Bob

George gets pretty much trashed in Geoff Emmerick's book for how long it took him to come up with a lead and how hard it seemed to be for him, but I figure that the songwriting was underway by the other guys at least partly at home, and he gets hit, IN THE STUDIO, when much of the tracking is completed with a "okay, now what are you going to play for a lead?" .... just a little unfair. I also agree that he is unappreciated or underappreciated.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Well, he has been respected by other musicians for many years... and was in the enviable position that the other ex-Beatles were, in that they were "idols" and their work was often judged based on that perception.

Having said that I think that George wrote some cool tunes after the Beatles, and I love his slide playing! Re: "All Things Must Pass" - I may pick it up soon, out of curiosity. It's fun to relisten to records after 30 or 40 years or so... same records, but they sure SOUND different!

I just bought the book "Here comes the sun, a spiritual and musical journey of George Harrison" and have been reading it for a couple hours today. I'm totally hooked and highly advise ANYONE to read it, even if you're not a particular fan of George.

It's interesting to hear so many people having said over the past many years that George was under appreciated or words to that effect. Mostly because I've always contended (personally and quietly) that there were far too few people on the planet with the ability, scope, sensitivity or intelligence to appreciate him!

From what I gather he felt much the same way as I but perhaps in a more spiritually enlightened way.

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Archived