Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Compay Segundo Question

Kramer Ferrington III.

I really like a live record of his that I have, but I have no idea what he's actually DOING on it, instrumentally speaking.

Picking his most famous track, "Chan Chan"... is the tres the melody instrument or is he just playing the chords? There's something on there that could either be the tres or a badly recorded steel string guitar. All I have is a live album, so the sound isn't studio perfect.

I've looked on YouTube, but all I can find that shows him playing is some bits off the Buena Vista Social Club but they don't show his actual hands moving so I can't tell what he's doing there either.

Can anyopne clear this up for me? :confused:

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yes KRAM: It´s should be a Tres (Compay never played guitar) & "Segundo" isn´t his surname it´s the spanish translation of "SECOND"(he always sing second-voice AH! and Compay=Partner). I LOVE "BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB"!!!

There's a also an instrument called "laúd cubano" (Cuban lute). From wikipedia:

Cuban Laud

There is also a Cuban Laud. Famously played by Barbarito Torres with the Buena Vista Social Club. It has the same appearance as the Spanish version only the tuning is different. The Cuban tuning is: D, A, E, B, F#, C#.

Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Laud"

This one has the same shape as a Spanish "bandurria", but the tuning is different.

Not sure if the Laúd is also in that song, but I think it may be and that's why it sounds so thick, lush.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Ry Cooder & Fernando Trueba rediscovered these old people "that had been great" and in Cuba they were in the shade, without money and no records.

AWESOME! the film "CALLE 54" (54 street) look for it (directed: Fernando Trueba). Documentary of differents perfomances. Bebo & Chucho Valdes at two large pianos, father and son "two monsters in piano"...VERY EMOTIVE!!! father is Eighty... leaved Cuba 50 years ago, married again and lives in Sweden, until the film they never had met, never played together(Chucho the son is arround 60).WATTA PERFORMANCE!.

Archived