Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My recording station and homemade monitors...

Boggs

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/images/My_Recording_StationW.jpg

http://www.angelfire.com/ny5/boggs.com/images/My_Homemade_MonitorsW.jpg

What you don't see is the fact that the monitors have separate level controls for the midrange dome and ribbon tweeters. Above the 6.5" woofers is a tuned port. The yellow is the insulation material. The picture of the station shows one cabinet set with covers and one without.

Boggs

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had pics up earlier of the first CNC short scale CamelBackPacker skeleton. Where were you? :D I did a glue up of the top and back this weekend. Back electronics access panel was cut from the back via CNC router with a .030 end mill. Came out great! I still need to order pickups, but the pickup bezels made from the same koa stock as the top and backs have been machined out already. I need to order the Earvana nut for this and the other guitar yet. Also, the first iteration of data has been entered into CNC data but needs a bit of tweaking yet.

I just cut the slot and drilled for the 5-way switch on the Bloodwood CamelBack and drilled the pilot holes for the 2 pots and the Fat-O-Caster switch... The electronics will look and function very much like a 3-singles Strat. Pickups are mounted. I need to order a Hipshot BabyGrand bridge for it. The neck has not shown up yet that was ordered about 3.5 months ago though... All of this ordering is tough to do with no income from the business yet...

I am making the first set of poplar body blanks for the paintable versions now as well. I am also close to completing the design of the intermediate sized 25.5" scale length CBP Senior the first two of which will have Goncala Alves tops and backs which are already bookmatched.

To make a long story slightly less long, I'm workin' on it... I'm workin' on it! :D

Check out my Rock Beach Guitars page showing guitars I have built and repaired... http://www.rockbeachguitars.com

Originally posted by pere66:

Really cool Boggs!!! more commendable work if made yourself! but......V-Amp??? I hate it! :D

It's the "2" with upgraded chip, and it was a gift. I found it works pretty well for recording... The clip of the CamelBackPacker I recorded earlier was done with a stock patch. There is some useful stuff in there... and yes, I did design and make the cabinets and did my own veneering. Thanks! :D

Boggs: After looking your http...I´m veeeery impressed you´re not a freak-man like photo shows :D YOU ARE A MAN TO BE ADMIRED! AN ARTIST! for me it´s a great value ´cause I like to do things with my hands (not at your level of course!).WOOOOOOOOOW! about V-amp I was joking I use Roland cosm (only for effects).That machines are the future grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

Originally posted by pere66:

Boggs: After looking your http...I´m veeeery impressed you´re not a freak-man like photo shows :D YOU ARE A MAN TO BE ADMIRED! AN ARTIST! for me it´s a great value ´cause I like to do things with my hands (not at your level of course!).WOOOOOOOOOW! about V-amp I was joking I use Roland cosm (only for effects).That machines are the future grrrrrrrrrrrrrr :mad:

HAHAHAHAHA!!! I'm not really a freak... I'm a mutant. Very different! :D

Thank you for taking the time to check out my stuff and for the kind words! I do sincerely appreciate it! ;) Boggs

Originally posted by Boggs:

I had pics up earlier of the first CNC short scale CamelBackPacker skeleton. Where were you? :D I did a glue up of the top and back this weekend. Back electronics access panel was cut from the back via CNC router with a .030 end mill. Came out great! I still need to order pickups, but the pickup bezels made from the same koa stock as the top and backs have been machined out already. I need to order the Earvana nut for this and the other guitar yet. Also, the first iteration of data has been entered into CNC data but needs a bit of tweaking yet.

I just cut the slot and drilled for the 5-way switch on the Bloodwood CamelBack and drilled the pilot holes for the 2 pots and the Fat-O-Caster switch... The electronics will look and function very much like a 3-singles Strat. Pickups are mounted. I need to order a Hipshot BabyGrand bridge for it. The neck has not shown up yet that was ordered about 3.5 months ago though... All of this ordering is tough to do with no income from the business yet...

I am making the first set of poplar body blanks for the paintable versions now as well. I am also close to completing the design of the intermediate sized 25.5" scale length CBP Senior the first two of which will have Goncala Alves tops and backs which are already bookmatched.

To make a long story slightly less long, I'm workin' on it... I'm workin' on it! :D

I meant the speakers! :D:D
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

HA!!

Rampdog, I am kind of a computer semi-illiterate... DAW? Basically, I am just running the stock Dell Dimension3000 sound card and Windows XP. I just hook the output of the VAmp2 into the sound card port in the back of the PC and use the output into the Marantz receiver you see to drive the speakers. The recording software is an old version of Cool Edit Pro... If that doesn't answer your question, I'm a bit more illiterate than I even realized!!! :D

Originally posted by Rampdog:

Boggs...what soundcard and software are you running in your DAW? I'm trying to set one up myself and could use suggestions...

Thanks.

The question is really, how much do you want to spend? You can spend anywhere from $1 to thousands of dollars. If you provide a price range, we could offer some advice on what to get.

Thanks Boggs ... I understood all that... and thanks to you too Craig... I'm ok now... I just like to know what other people are using because I'm nosey.... I'm using Sonar HS-4 and I'm still in the process of figuring out why my recordings are making a popping noise... This is for another forum but you guys are always ready to help... Thanks...

Originally posted by Craig Brophy:

What sort of popping noise? When is it happening? Does it pop during playback, or only after you've converted to MP3?

It's a staccato type popping during playback... I can't for the life of me figure out why... I'm running through the Line6 Toneport Interface... I have confusion...

I don't mean to be hijaking this thread though... but I do need help...

Does it do it after you convert it to mp3 as well?

It sounds like you could be experiencing drop outs.

First, you need to determine if that's the case. Does it "pop" if you just record 1 track with no effects? Does the popping get worse as you add tracks?

If it does, then you may need to speed something up.

What speed is the CPU? How much ram do you have and how many RPMs is your hard drive?

Something you can try before rushing out to the store:

-Clean the temp folders and empty the recycle bin (Especially on the drive, that the program's temp folder in in.)

-Defragment the hard drives.

-Make sure that no other programs are running when you record. (Systray should be empty, except for the clock and the little speaker icon. Fire walls and anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff are the biggest offenders.)

-If you are connected to a network, disconnect.

All of these steps will help free up the CPU and memory so that more of your system resources are available for recording.

Does it do it after you convert it to mp3 as well?

It sounds like you could be experiencing drop outs.

First, you need to determine if that's the case. Does it "pop" if you just record 1 track with no effects? Does the popping get worse as you add tracks?

If it does, then you may need to speed something up.

What speed is the CPU? How much ram do you have and how many RPMs is your hard drive?

Something you can try before rushing out to the store:

-Clean the temp folders and empty the recycle bin (Especially on the drive, that the program's temp folder in in.)

-Defragment the hard drives.

-Make sure that no other programs are running when you record. (Systray should be empty, except for the clock and the little speaker icon. Fire walls and anti-virus/anti-spyware stuff are the biggest offenders.)

-If you are connected to a network, disconnect.

All of these steps will help free up the CPU and memory so that more of your system resources are available for recording.

I haven't converted it to MP3 so I don't know.

It pops when I record one track...I've never recorded more yet...

I've cleaned out cache and temps and recycly...everything so I know that is not the problem...

The systray may be it... I do have other programs running... I guess I'll try to shut everything down and give it a go...

Processor is 1x Intel Pentium 4

1 gig Ram

200 gig HD

800MHz Foward Buss Speed

Chipset is ATi Radeon XPress 200

Audio card is Realtek ALC882 or ALC883...not sure

I was hoping I could do this without having to buy a dedicated putor for recording...

Sorry again Boggs... I don't mean to step on your thread...

Actually, that computer sounds fine. Do you know the speed of the CPU? (You can find out by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop and choosing "Properties". It will show you the CPU make along with the speed in MHzs.

Make sure you have the sample frequency set within the recording software, no higher then 192kHz (the highest setting you card can handle.)

Do a quick check for spyware and addware with Spybot and Adaware. Also, run a virus scan. This way we can rule out malware, slowing things down.

Another thing to consider is the frequency settings are just wrong (a setting that your sound card isn't handling). In this case, you may have to try a few different frequencies to find one that is compatible.

Also, I've heard of WiFi networks causing popping sounds in PC recordings. Are you running a wireless network?

...It's a staccato type popping during playback... I can't for the life of me figure out why... I'm running through the Line6 Toneport Interface... .
If you go to the SAWStudio pages, you'll find suggestions for setting up XP as a recording platform. Good place to start.

I find that people will just not leave a rig alone, and that is the biggest problem of all. You cannot keep adding games, media crap, random updates, etc etc, and expect a rig to run correctly. Changing your interface will not change that. I probably have one of the better setups on this board, but what keeps it running is that it was purpose built to be a recording computer, I don't do anything on it but record audio and burn CDs or DVDs, and until this year it was never connected to the internet or even the home network. I treated it like a stand-alone recorder, and it has worked for me long past its expected lifespan, and I expect to get another six to ten months out of it.

But my laptops also work well as remote recorders, and I'm liable to dump anything into them... I just have to make sure that I test them before I take them out to do any remote work, as you NEVER know what your latest update or cute piece of software has done to your setup.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Actually, that computer sounds fine. Do you know the speed of the CPU? (You can find out by right clicking on the "My Computer" icon on the desktop and choosing "Properties". It will show you the CPU make along with the speed in MHzs.

Make sure you have the sample frequency set within the recording software, no higher then 192kHz (the highest setting you card can handle.)

Do a quick check for spyware and addware with Spybot and Adaware. Also, run a virus scan. This way we can rule out malware, slowing things down.

I have a Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz

I have no malware or virus problems...

Not sure about setting the frequency but I will look into it...

I don't have any games on this...The only thing I use is Microsoft Office and AOL... and my HS-4 software...

Thanks so far... :thu:

I have a Pentium 4 CPU 2.80 GHz

I have no malware or virus problems...

Not sure about setting the frequency but I will look into it...

I don't have any games on this...The only thing I use is Microsoft Office and AOL... and my HS-4 software...

Thanks so far... :thu:

Could you record five or six seconds of guitar and then post a clip so I can hear what it sounds like?

Thanks for letting us use your thread Boggs. I would have started a new one, but there is already way to much info in here to copy it all over.

Boggs... I am so very sorry to have done this... All this should have been done in the project studios forum... Craig and Bill, as always you guys are what makes us keep looking and asking in here... I'm not blowin' smoke up your butts either...Everyone in here is great... Craig, I will try to get to it ASAP... If I can figure it out I will PM it to you instead of taking up everyones elses space and time...

Speaking of time, Rampdog Jr. is awake...time to tend to the demon seed...

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y49/Rampdog/PA150007.jpg

To be honest, I would feel perfectly comfortble keeping it in this thread as I am sure there are folks interested in the problem and resolution, myself included. If they don't want to know about it, I am sure they know enough to not visit this thread anyway! Very cute dog!!!

By the way, hijacking means there is retrobution to be made and in this case, I sentence you to hearing a recording of you playing... :D No worries, mate! it was for a good and honest cause... ;)

Archived