Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neck-heavy fixes?

RichardAshkenazi

Hey, folks. One-time poster making a return. So I have this Hamer SFX3 thing, and I like it pretty well, except for this: it's VERY neck-heavy. I currently have $2.50 in pennies wrapped in electrical tape and attached near the bottom end of my strap as a counterweight, which makes it dealable, but the whole apparatus is kind of a pain (in the hands and shoulder) to deal with because of all that heft. I'm on a budget, and don't necessarily want a new guitar. What suggestions might you have of cheap-ish mods I can do to the thing to alleviate some of this, if any? (My thought is to replace the neck, since it's a bolt-on, but I don't know where to get a roughly equivalent neck.) Thanks in advance!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ooh, good question. My Schecter PT Blackjack is slightly neck heavy. I'm looking forward to seeing some answers.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

maybe a chunk of weight attached to the control cavity cover on the inside.

a neck isn't gonna be cheap.

if you are gonna spend that much i would look at getting a new body of a heavier wood.

is the strap button on the upper horn or the back of the body at the neck joint?

Extend the length of the upper horn strap attachment lug.

Various people have done this in various ways.

A common way is to use the outside of a pen and put a suitable bolt through it & the strap hole with washers either side of the strap.

This moves the centre of gravity to the left & effectively balances the neck.

You'd have to experiment with the length of the bolt, but usually 2 inches does it.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Or changing from heavy machines to a lighter model. Of course, if the guitar is neck heavy you want to change the balancing points, they are wrong. But WHY are they wrong? Not too many guitars are intentionally unbalanced by the manufacturer.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

McGeoff: That trick with the bolt and the pen sounds like something worth trying. Thanks! (Though I wonder how long it'll have to end up being, in my case. Might look kinda odd. But oh well.)

What sort of bolt are we talking here? And I assume I could use something other than a ballpoint pen housing, since it's just to cover the bolt? Are there any pictures anywhere of this in action? I'm one of those people who learn better visually.

Also: I'd thought of putting weight in the control cavity, as Guitarzan suggested, but on this model, there's not much room. Maybe for fine-tuning. But again, I'd rather not add more to the total weight, if I can help it.

Maybe I'll switch straps, too. And change out the tuning machines. Might as well do it all, if I wanna see a change.

Yes, but I'm talking about something neat and attractive, unique and cool, or just plain strange and buzz-provoking.

I also still question what would take $2.50 worth of copper coins to balance the neck. Is that really the way that they come stock?

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Silk shirt? Worrying about too neck heavy? Oh dear! Am I safe in assuming you are not in a metal band? LOL Sorry ... just poking fun .... all of my neck heavy guitars are metal axes. I figure they are the nature of the beast. That Hamer doesn't look like it should be neck heavy. My Hamer has a glue neck joint and is perfectly balanced. It is a double cut and is mahogony. Here is mine.

http://www.northnet.org/ucorp/hamer.jpg

A.K.A. TRGuitar

Archived