Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey Classic 30 Part Deu

caprae

Is this a good deal, okay deal, or no deal at all?

Peavey Classic 30: black finish. in great shape. have added new jj power tubes, tube guard, and tube tamer to keep the tubes from rattling. a great blues/american rock amp. comes with upgraded footswitch and brown amp cover. $300 firm.

If this is a good deal, what should I watch out for if I can get to look at it?

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thank you. Now if I can get the guy to answer my email. Never have figured out guys who wanted to sell things, then won't return your inquiries.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Hope he gets back to you because you'll probably enjoy the amp. If it doesn't pan out, Sweetwater

is selling the new redesigned C30 for $600 and is well worth it, IMO.

quote:Originally posted by mdrs:

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

John Petrucci > Johnny Winter

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Guitar One Mag > Guitarplayer

Slash > Carlton

Thanks - it might take a bit to get to him. He answered, but works nights. Said he wasn't in a hurry to move it. This could be a go.

Never bought a tube amp before. What kind of "gotcha" things do I need to look out for? I know I've seen some advertised as "only used for practice" and "always in a smoke-free environment", but if they weren't built for gigging and such, then they shouldn't be made.

I've had my Classic 30 for about 10 years and never had a problem with it-and I have toted it around quite a bit, never really gigged with it, but it never just sat (until recently) around the house. You shouldn't have any problems with it, just treat it like you would any of your other gear and it'll serve you for years. You should be very happy with it. :thu:

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

I'd be interested to know more about the "upgraded" footswitch" the seller speaks of.

It's pure B.S., and obvioulsy inaccurate. I suspect it is posted for effect, not for accuracy.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

:D:DSNAGGED IT!! :D:D

Thank you for all of your input. Its a 2003 model. Said he bought it used just over a year ago for someone in his band. The guys now gone and it sits there. This guy is a drummer and keyboard player.

The JJ tubes are the line of 4, the other 3 look like originals. Ther is a metal grid over the back were the tupes are to help protect them and a small pipe with four rubber grommets that the tube tips stick in to keep them from rattling. The upgraded footswitch is a heavy metal one with a padded bottom. It is much more sturdy feeling than the original. Nice brown Peavey cover that feels like leather (but isn't). The Peavey logo was not on the grill. He said I could have it but I told him no thanks. No tears, no serious wear. It seems to be in great shape. It's very quickly growing on me as I experiment with the settings.

This is a whole new ball game from our split tube VOX amps. I'll have to put it side by side with my Valvetronix 30 watt. I'll bet there is no comparison. My son says he likes it.

Thanks, again, for the input and advice!

Glad to hear that you got it. Does the footswitch include a button for the boost function or just channels & reverb?

BTW, I took the logo off the front of the amp right away. They did a nice job with the tweed cover and then had to go and put that cheesy logo on there.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

I notice they make a 3 button unit with one button for the boost function on the Valve King.

Don't understand why, if the C30 has boost, they would not make it footswitchable as well.

I don't play in a band so I don't really need it. Still,it'd be nice to just hit the button w/o taking your hands off the guitar and get that extra raunch the boost provides.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Originally posted by Desmosedici:

I notice they make a 3 button unit with one button for the boost function on the Valve King.

Don't understand why, if the C30 has boost, they would not make it footswitchable as well.

I don't play in a band so I don't really need it. Still,it'd be nice to just hit the button w/o taking your hands off the guitar and get that extra raunch the boost provides.

Don't know offhand the relative prices, but am betting the Valve King is more expensive?

Three button is more expensive, plain and simple. Hey...compared to Fender, I count my lucky stars they at least made the reverb footswitchable. That's how it ought to be done.

I don't know how you use it, but when I play through my Classic 30 I stick usually on clean, but setup the OD channel also...and use it. Trouble for me is, the "boost" then becomes too bassy, noisy, and just sounds like the cliche'ed "blanket over the amp" kinda.

There are ways to mod it though...if you REALLY wanted to have that option, I am sure a good amp technician could install/mod so it had that capabililty.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Yeah the boost is a bit over the top. I figured it would just be a moderate rise in volume/gain for solos. The thing f#@king blasts off but it's still fun to play around with though.

As far as cost in the US goes, the C30 is $200 more than the VK.

The Edge > Ted Nugent

Slash > Carlton

Do any of you C30 owners start getting a much louder than normal hum when the reverb is cranked up?

Originally posted by Desmosedici:

Yeah the boost is a bit over the top. I figured it would just be a moderate rise in volume/gain for solos. The thing f#@king blasts off but it's still fun to play around with though.

As far as cost in the US goes, the C30 is $200 more than the VK.

Well...there goes my theory :-)

Well...in any case, for whatever reason, they don't. But I wouldn't trade footswitchability on reverb for boost.

Also, usually with these smaller amps, a person is not that far away from his amp at any given time, so hitting the switch is a breeze. I just never use the boost, I think, like you said, it is out of control. If I remember right, it affects both channels right?

Price isn't always consistent. At least used to be, Carvin was a pretty inexpensive (relatively) amp over Fenders and Marshalls. The MTS3212, MAN...they built in fx loop, seperate EQ for clean and lead channels (which ARE two seperate channels), multiple output transformer taps (4, 8, and 16 ohms, if I remember right), Footswitch reverb and channel select, LED that showed which channel you were on...

Still kept it low in price.

====================================================

Check out my original music at

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/jacker

"In theory there is no difference between theory and practice,

but not in practice."

Originally posted by caprae:

Do any of you C30 owners start getting a much louder than normal hum when the reverb is cranked up?

Yes. It doesn't really bother me too much, cause I don't use much reverb, but I would like to know what causes it, how it can be fixed, etc.

Avoid playing the amplifier at a volume setting high enough to produce a distorted sound through the speaker-Fender Guitar Course-1966

Greg, at least you didn't say, "No, you got ripped." The guy did mention that the reverb was the thing people complained about the most and that someone sold aftermarket reverbs on ebay that are supposed to rival Fender's spring reverbs.

Archived