Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bass / Drums Solo's in Set List:

Dr. Ellwood

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We used to do a little medley with "Wipeout" in it. I found that it went over really well.

As for plain old drum solos or bass solos, in my experience, it's a hit and miss. We tried to gauge the audience to decide if we should do it or not. It would either go over really well, or not at all. The trick was knowing how it was going to do, before you pulled it out of the hat.

I love bass/drum solos - as long as they don't lose the groove. That, to me is key. If the bass player or drummer lose the rhythm and stray into a wankfest, you'll lose the audience. That said, I enjoy it when our drummer does a really primal solo using no cymbals or snare. Just keepin' the beat and throwing in accents.

Originally posted by Phil W:

I often have to do similar when the guitarist (frequently) breaks a string in trio cover gigs. I've not thought of singing though - that would make it more complete - I've got to work something out - maybe some Bill Withers.

What did your guys play - a cover or an original?

This was a cover (it's all we do) of Pappa's Got A Brand New Bag... James Brown. In fact some of the riff Jim (bass) put into that where things he doesn't put in when we do it with full band? One reason he said is he's working with what the keyboard player/sax are doing. He's going to use parts of that same bass line from now on with the full band! My guys just amaze me ALL the time! Even though I have played with most of them for over 15 years and the drummer over 20 years!

If they're playing together, it's fine. But by themselves..? It's a bit iffy. I saw Billy Sheehan do his bass solo thing in between songs at a Steva Vai concert once and it kinda dragged. So did the drum solo. I felt that they were just holding the fort while the band went out for a smoke or whatever it is they do during drum solos these days.

My favourite bass solo (have I said this? :) ) is on Free's "Mr. Big". There's this huge bass solo with the guitar just playing lightly over the top of it, and that's great because the song doesn't lose momentum.

Archived