Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Open mic/open jam

skipclone 1

Well it`s tuesday but I have the day off, so last night I went into Tokyo to check out some live music. There`s a place that has an `open jam night` on mondays, so I wanted to see what it was like and maybe jump in in a couple weeks when I`m free (I have a private student on some mondays). Well there were drums on some of the songs but for the most part it was all acoustic-I guess I usually associate that more with `open mic` nights. There were some guys from Brazil who were good, I love that kind of music but I have no acoustic here and it`s probably not worth it to buy one just to play at these events-or is it another excuse for GAS? so I went home thinking, well so much for that idea. Does anyone else get mixed up about these terms? doesn`t `open jam` mean there`s a band and anyone can jump in if they know the songs? or suggest one that the band knows? or are they meaningless terms?

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Okay maybe it`s just me. Maybe I need to get out more. I just think, how is it a jam if it`s just people getting up and strumming acoustics? nothing wrong with that, but I`m glad I didn`t bring a bunch of gear.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

"Open jam" means folks play together, unrehearsed, not knowing quite who you'll get teamed up with.

"Open mike" usually means each performer or act gets the stage for themselves for a short set. Most open mikes I've been to are strictly a series of performers doing their thing.

But I go to a local blues bar where the open mike is a lot looser: if you start playing covers, be prepared to find yourself joined on the stage with some backup! At the end of the evening it's usually a mixed bunch on stage playing who knows what -- if everyone got their chance to play their own set first. When I go I tend to play a real short set; I have more fun sitting in with the other folks. I mean, I've heard my solo material already.

Yeah Learjeffs description is how I understand Open Mic and Open Jams.

We have open mic's and open jams here and if its open mic you nromally have to go to the organiser and put your name on the list to play some of your own stuff on stage by yourself (or with ur band) if its an open jam here a mic gets passed to whoever wants it, they lead and others follow with whatever instruments the may have.

Archived