Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Albert King & Gary Moore...

PBBPaul

I found this clip really interesting. Albert King with Gary Moore a couple of years before he died. As guitar players, what are some random thoughts?

Clip

Personally, I found the generational differences pretty wild. Albert's clearly tired and Gary's playing is great but do you think he and the band get it?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Guitar55:

Great clip. ALbert sounds great. Gary Moore is at his best when he restrains himself a bit.

My thoughts too. I thought that Albert was going for "the note" - really trying to say something while Gary was rockin' full steam (NTTAWWT). Albert looked a little embarassed to me.

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Albert looked a little embarassed to me.

:confused:

He looked like he was having a great time. The way he and Gary exchanged glances, and they (including the band) read each other for the dynamics... I don't see embarassment there. The closest to that is in the beginning, when Gary's wringing that note for all it's worth, into overdriven harmonic heaven, and Albert holds out his jacket to hide Gary; but I think it's more a matter of showmanship that embarassment.

But that's just my opinion. :D

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

OH JUST FRIGGIN' FANTASTIC!! A good performance lesson to be learned here: IF you are the first man playing lead on the very beginning of a blues review, your approach is to come out HOT and NASTY.. in their face and make the pocket follow YOU!! Albert and Gary know this so did Stevie! at that point you ARE the show! Move your ass and show you mean it! Second if there is another guitar and your cuttin head, give it back at a point where he can shine! GREAT STUFF!!!!

"think it's more a matter of showmanship that embarassment"

Yep! it sure is showmanship! MR. KING does not worry about any guitarplayer ...just LISTEN TO That wonderful voice!! who cares if he plays ONE note on guitar!!You listen to that voice and you love the blues, you KNOW what Stevie meant when he said COLD SWEAT!!

One of the best things I ever did was pawn one of my guitars to see Albert at a small club in the early 80's--absolutely killer! That being said, I've always loved Gary Moore's playing as well. I do love his blues albums but I tend to think his style is better suited to the harder rock stuff he used to do. Just heard "Corridors of Power" a couple months ago for the first time in years and love his playing on that! This vid reminds me of that version of "Oh Pretty Woman" that they did together, King is so much more subdued and tasteful in a way that suits the song. I've always loved how he can really work the dynamics and yeah, the man was some badass singer! Moore is going for the throat two bars in, playing too much and it seems a bit over the top for the song. Cool vid though--wildly different vibe from each!

Archived