Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Strange brew...not Clapton... beer.

superdave

What is the strangest beer you have ever had? I was in a bar in Loiusville Kentucky abount ten years ago and a friend of my wife got me to try a chocholate beer. What the hell was I thinking? They taste like crap. She, on the other hand, downed about half a dozen of them in no time flat!! I thought I was going to blow chunks after two sips of the damn thing.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

well believe it or not I am a member of a beer education and research group called B.E.E.R.S., there is a meeting each month although I can`t attaned most of them, they happen on a tuesday evening. Between that and a yearly microbeer event in may I have had beer from Slovenia, Palestine and Cameroon. Recently I tried Orange Ale, made with oranges stomped, wine grape style, by a girl named Molly who works at Baird Beer-their beer is a bit light for my taste but very fresh. Probably the strangest, and coincidentally one of the best, is passionfruit ale, at the may event. It`s made in northern Japan and not sold commercially as far as I know. That stuff was amazing. Commercially I would recommenrd Alba, Scot ale made with pine sprigs,or Fraoch Heather Ale. Also check out www.onlyfinebeer.co.uk you can order both online (be sure to take the comma out of the address).

Superdave, was that cholocate beer the one with the little teddy bear on the label? It`s sold here, haven`t tried it-thanks for the warning.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Oh, the first time I went it was in the basement floor of an office building. I asked the guy at the front desk where the Beer Education and Research Group was meeting. He said, `Oh you mean the party? downstairs." He wasn`t kidding, that was the most difficult wednesday I ever had. I have gone once again to that same place since then, this time I was more careful.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

Certainly the worst pint I ever experienced was something which purported to be Guinness out in Kuala Lumpur - it was dreadful - thick & syrupy & bitter - horrid, horrid, horrid!!!

I used to have a recipe book for home-made ales and I remember one entitled 'Cock Ale' which entailed the suspension of a dead chicken/cockerel in the liquor during the brewing!!

I've had an ale with a strong chocolatey(?) aftertaste due to the yeast used and I've tried many fruity ales.

Little compares to Wells Bombardier out the bottle :0)

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

I don't know if it's actually "strange".

Arrogant Bastard is an excellent heavy dark stout. If you think Guiness needs a bit more flavor you'll love A.B.!

Ya beat me to it! :P And the bottle riddled with insults to the person buying it! Tried it in Texas a few years back. I'm a Mexican lager guy on the rare times I drink beer, and that stuff was awful! :freak: It that's what a good dark stout tastes like, then I'll avoid that category altogether! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck06.gif I'd to hate to try a BAD one! :eek:
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

I don't know if it's actually "strange".

Arrogant Bastard is an excellent heavy dark stout. If you think Guiness needs a bit more flavor you'll love A.B.!

Ya beat me to it! :P And the bottle riddled with insults to the person buying it! Tried it in Texas a few years back. I'm a Mexican lager guy on the rare times I drink beer, and that stuff was awful! :freak: It that's what a good dark stout tastes like, then I'll avoid that category altogether! http://www.websmileys.com/sm/obscene/eck06.gif I'd to hate to try a BAD one! :eek:
They actually have a stronger, thicker one called Double Bastard! I like it but can only drink one or three. A.B. is the elixer of the gods. Manly gods! :D

Murphys Stout is one I avoid. It's gritty.....

Originally posted by superdave:

What is the strangest beer you have ever had? I was in a bar in Loiusville Kentucky abount ten years ago and a friend of my wife got me to try a chocholate beer. What the hell was I thinking? They taste like crap. She, on the other hand, downed about half a dozen of them in no time flat!! I thought I was going to blow chunks after two sips of the damn thing.

Was it Young's Double Chocholate??? It's a british brew, and is in the neighboorhood of Guinness, but with a slight hint of chocholate.

Don

"There once was a note, Pure and Easy. Playing so free, like a breath rippling by."

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=574296

http://www.myspace.com/imdrs

Archived