Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Grounding issue??

bsd1965

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for a little problem I noticed. I'll apologize now for what's probably a newbie question, I've only been at this for about 6 months.

I have a Squier Strat that I am currently playing through a borrowed amp. The amp is an old Fender Musicmaster bass amp(my buddy loaned it to me to play my acoustic-electric through, he said a-e's sound pretty good through bass amps). With the pick-up selector switch set to positions 1,3 or 5 I notice that there is some "buzzing" or humming noise that gets louder when I touch either the strings or the bridge saddles. Is this normal? Am I just noticing the difference in the single coil pup vs humbucker? (This is a 3 single-coil guitar, not a fat strat but I know the middle pup is reverse-wound so that positions 2 and 4 are similar to humbucker style)

I trouble-shot by plugging the guitar into a Zoom effects pedal and listened to that directly through headphones and no similar noises occured. Seems to be the amp. This is an old tube amp so I wouldn't be surprised if it has "bad" tubes. Would that cause this?

Sorry again for sounding like the newb that I am.

Bob

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If the buzzing gets louder when the the strings are touched, it could be a grounding problem (but I'm not certain). The buzzing should diminish when the strings are touched on a properly grounded guitar/amp combination.

Why don't you try it on another amp and see if it does the same thing?

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Thanks a lot for the tips guys. I'll have to wait for this weekend to try the guitar with a different amp since this is all I have access to right now. I'll definitely look into some of the tips discussed on the videos too.

One thing I learned from the video link is that I may have spun my input jack around and dislodged the shielding wire inside. The jack is always loose (keep meaning to put a lock washer on there) and I will gently spin the nut tight with my thumb, I may have spun the wire off inside.

Bob

Archived