Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Neil Peart?

Big Red 67

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Hah one of my buddies plays drums. He hates Neil Peart. Says he's overrated, arrogant, and just doesn't cut it. Personally though I don't mind him, I like Rush plenty and I think he fits them pretty well.
Then you'll never hear surf music again...

"mastered" the drums.. now thats funny.

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

He's the best Neil Peart style drummer I'm aware of. :thu:

Having said that, I believe he would have a hard time playing anything involving "swing." I can't imagine him playing with a group like Steely Dan or with a traditional big-band. I don't thnk he could pull it off.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by A String:

Originally posted by Mudcat:

I don't thnk he could pull it off.

I'd have to disagree with you here. Swing and big band, is something that I've heard Neil pull off, very well.
I'd love to hear it. I am only familiar with his playing with Rush (which I like quite a bit) and Rush is about as "non-swingy" as it gets. :D

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Here is a basic example. Not his best, but the only thing I could find in a pinch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-YiXMPwxbQ

He's holding the sticks in a standard position here, but is also, commonly seen, holding them with the left stick cradled. In the same way you'd see a rudimentary drummer hold them.

I know a few of the drummer's that he idolized were Gadd, Rich and other Big band drummers. It's sort of his roots and he really pushes that style in his workshops.

Originally posted by A String:

He's holding the sticks in a standard position here, but is also, commonly seen, holding them with the left stick cradled. In the same way you'd see a rudimentary drummer hold them.

OT: Interesting. I don't know what the proper terms are, but I've always thought of the "cradled" grip as "traditional".

Sure, it was mainly used so you could play a drum strapped over your shoulder that hung at an angle. However, I still prefer to see a set drummer play with traditional grip.

Back on topic: As above, NP is like an "EVH of drums". Love him or hate him, but he was innovative enough to be copied by many. Is he a "master"? I think in the martial arts sense he is. (Is a martial arts master better at martial arts than all the other martial arts masters? No, you get to a certain point and you earn the title.)

I'm not sure where the "he makes too many mistakes" assertion is coming from. Maybe I haven't been listening close enough to the studio cuts? I certainly haven't gone to all of their live shows. I think the only live recording I have is the "Rush in Rio" DVD. Where can I hear his mistakes?

The biggest complaint I've heard about NP is that he just has too much freaking gear on stage. At one point I found it impressive, but as I grow older I'm more fascinated by the jazz drummer that can be very expressive using just a minimal kit.

Dang! Lost my post. :mad:

Let's try again...

To my knowledge Neil Peart has never claimed to have "mastered the drums". He has said, in interviews, that he spent 20+ years on intense study to become as technically proficient as possible. He came to a point where he felt he'd achieved a high level of technical ability and wanted to get back to just playing. This was 10 years ago or so. Rush released an album that was decidedly far more straightforward rhythmically than their previous albums.

I've never heard of Neil being arrogant about his place in the world as a player. I love a lot of Rush songs, but I haven't heard him swing much. I can see how some people view his playing as sterile, much in the way many speed guitarists' playing sounds to me. It's hard to quantify, but every once in a while I'll hear a truly fast guitar player who still shows a lot of flavor and, similarly, I've heard fast drummers who don't sound quite so l-e-t-t-e-r p-e-r-f-e-c-t in their timing as Neil, who I would say have speed, complexity and more flavor.

I like him for who he is and what he does. I don't expect him to be John Bonham, etc. (Actually, JB makes a great juxtaposition with Neil since I find JB to be a fairly sloppy drummer with great vibe. As much as I ignore Neil's lack of swing I have to ignore the sloppiness of JB's playing. In both cases it ain't hard. They both rock! (But in different ways.)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

As far as a guitar player listening to drummers, I was a big Peart fan. My brother, a drummer, was a big fan also. I have since heard other drummers that I am more impressed with, but that doesn't take away from what Neil can do in a rock environment.

I wonder what context the "mastered" comment was made in. Maybe it meant that he felt that he had achieved all he thought he could on drums and didn't know where else he could take it. Drummers can be a bit arrogant but I doubt he was saying he was better than anyone else. I'm sure the press gave him adulations as being the greatest drummer for years, who knows, maybe it went to his head. But I am more inclined to think that he was in a rut and didn't see what else he could accomplish.

Something puzzles me. Would you go to Stevie Ray Vaughan (if he were alive) and ask him to play the Aranjuez Concerto in front of an orchestra, obviously fingerstyle on a classical guitar, IN STYLE AND A TEMPO? Would you go to Segovia (if he were alive) and ask him to play Scuttle Buttin' w/ a pick on a Strat through a Tube Screamer and cranked amps?

I've heard people say, without ANY sort of sarcasm or humor, "yeah, but can he play a straight 12-bar blues?" after seeing or hearing someone like Allan Holdsworth, etc. Or stuff like "yeah, but can he play rhythm in the background, etc?" after seeing a guitarist as the main character in a trio setting. To me, this type of comment says a lot more about the person who dares to say such a stupid thing than about the artist they're trying to diss.

Who the f*&k gives a s#!t if the man can swing like Max Roach or not?!!!! He's not perfect, he get can get off the beat (yeah, he does sometimes--just listen to the Tom Sawyer opening or some live versions of their songs), but he's one of those drummers that remind you that drummers should also be MUSICIANS. Yup, I actually find his playing very musical, like I find Gene Hoglan's or Sean Reinert's playing musical. It is musical in a very different way from the musicality you'll find in Buddy Rich's or Max Roach's playing.

Neil Peart, in my opinion, is great. "Great" does NOT equal "impeccable" or "infalible", "absolute master", mistake-free. Since I don't believe in the concepts of "number 1's" or "the best ever", I guess to me it's not a big deal seeing the respect people give him, because I think he deserves it. If someone tells me he's the "best rock drummer ever, period" I'll laugh at him/her, just like I laugh at all the people that say Stevie Ray Vaughan was the best blues guitarist ever (some people say he was the BEST GUITARIST ever, period :rolleyes: ), or that Segovia was the best classical guitarist ever, etc.

I have to say I've read interviews of him saying he's TRIED to master the drums, not that he's mastered the drumset. Do you think Steve Vai is a master guitarist? If so, then, that means you should also think Neil Peart is a master drummer. If not, then you can say he's not. I've actually never perceived him as arrogant. Also, I've never been attracted to Rush's sci-fi lyrics, but I like many of theirs. Yup, he likes the whole pomp and circumstance thang, but he's got HUMOR, which many of the pompous rockers (or even party rockers) seem to lack.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

[Roll Eyes] I knew it wouldn't belong before someone said it. [boring]

What? I'm serious.

The only Rush album I really like is the first one... the one they put out before Peart was in the band. But that's just my personal preference. Rush was more of a "rock" band on that album. After that, they went more prog, which I personally dislike.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Damn were did my first post go??

Red, are you on medication :P

I have been a Rush fan for a long time and have never heard the guy claim to have mastered the drums. where did you read this or hear it? As a matter of fact he seems to be quite humble about his drumming. He is very technical about it though.

Hey, maybe he actually wrote those little "mistakes" in his parts!!!! :eek: just kidding

What can this strange device be?

When I touch it, it gives forth a sound

It's got wires that vibrate, and give music

What can this thing be that I found?

Originally posted by Guitar55:

Originally posted by Griffinator:

....course, he has nothing on Buddy Rich, and Buddy's got personality! Did you see him on Letterman a few months back? Wonderful!

Was he a bit moldy? Buddy Rich died in 1987!!!
It was a re-run :D
The story of life is quicker then the blink of an eye, the story of love is hello, goodbye.

Sorry--no way he ever claimed that. In fact, if you've ever seen "A Work in Progress", he states quite the contrary.

He was, and will continue to be an inspiring figure to most of us who were bored w/ the straight 4/4 in metal, and yearned for something more sophisticated and thought provoking.

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer

Sunbreak Music, LLC

High Resolution Stereo and Surround Mastering

www.sunbreakmusic.com

I've spent some time today on his web site. I could not find a reference to his mastering of the drums. He seems quite humble and probably somewhat introverted. Artists can be that way, and sometimes it comes off as arrogance. I think he's amazing. Just my worthless opinion.

Archived