Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First Opinion- Fender Deluxe vs. Fender DV 212

Zephyr

As we all know, Cristmas and or any other religous holidays of that period are around the corner. And so begins the process of prospective Christmas shopping. For me, i believe a cost-efficient tube amp is at the top of the list.

Anyway, i tried out the Fender Hot Rod Deluxe and The Fender DV 212 for a few minutes each (that's all i got :cry: ). This is my first opinion so it is subject to change further down the road.

The Deluxe was responsive at low-volumes, a crystal-clear bright channel, and a drive channel that was a bit on the distorted side, but retained clarity.

The DV had a fuller, bigger sound, probably because of the extra speaker. However, very hard to get to low volumes without making it a whisper. Drive channel a bit more punchy, and the bright wasnt as bright as expected.

Also, out of curiosity, i tried a Marshall JCM2000 (DSL), and i have to say, i was disappointed, not much tonal difference between it and either of the Fender's. However, 2 minutes with isnt enough to judge.

so far, the Deluxe pulls ahead. Does anyone else have input or personal/perspective opinions?

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply
LOL!"Marshall JCM2000 (DSL)" that's stadium gear! crank it up and see what you think. The Fenders you tested can't even come close to those Marshalls, when the Marshalls are used for what they are designed for. If you want something that can be used at low volume that Marshall is not the amp for you. If you want a serious pro amp the Marshall will do it for you..trust me...I know! spending two mins. with a 2000 is like not even worth while as you said.

Originally posted by Zephyr:

anything long-term, like 4 something years, at least until i get a record deal :D:rolleyes:

Really, it would be a long-term relationship

I mean is this just for personal practice or do you plan any serious gigging? That's what I mean.

I have the HRD. It's a nice little amp. It comes through when I have to practice at low levels (which is most of the time) but has a bit of balls to it when you want to turn it up.

If you want a clean sound at high volume, forget the HRD. It's only 40W so it breaks up quickly.

I'm really starting to like the double distortion channels on it. For the lighter channel, I'll do rhythm then, depending on the song or my mood, I'll stomp the footswitch for a dirtier lead.

I haven't done any gigs with this yet so I can't help you there. I do plan on trying it out in some smaller venues in the next few months though.

When this thing gets too loud, the breakup tone kind of loses me a little. Bear in mind that I've only had this a few months and I don't use any stomp boxes. I'm still tweaking.

When it comes down to it, this is merely a practice amp for me right now. I have no idea how far I'm going to go with it when it comes time to do more serious things.

All in all, I love this amp right now. It's great for the money (I paid about $500.00 for it).

I know a soundclip doesn't tell the whole story but all of my soundclips were recorded using a mic on the HRD so feel free to check them out.

Umm, so far, i CAN tell you it will be a practice amp, because as a guitarist, im still developing (playing for about 1 1/2 years) and i think i wont be seriously gigging for a while (years perhaps, maybe less if i really keep at it)

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

I have the Hot Rod DeVille 410. I play the blues and I participate two or three times a week at "jam nights". The venues are not big, but this amp has lots of balls. If turned up loud, it will hurt your ears amd many others as well. While I like the drive channels (I seem to be one of the few that like it) I do use a Tube Screamer with it. I know this is not the best amp Fender makes, It works PERFECTLY for my style and tone. I wouldn't trade it.

Fernando

If you can't say it in 12 bars... then it can't be said!

I think it was the Peavey Delta Blues that came highly recommended locally. Sounded great to me.

A friend just got this Crate V3112 and is selling the VOX valveltronix ADV100 2x12. He said the warmer this gets, the better it sounds.

http://images.music123.com/products/full/Crate/V3112250.jpg

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Archived