Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

My son's mini strat

Hardtail

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Awesome! We still have the tiny acoustic my sister had in kindergarten....mini guitars are cool!

"My two Fender Basses, I just call them "Lesbos" because of the time they spend together in the closet."-Durockrolly

This has been a Maisie production. (Directed in part by Spiderman)

Originally posted by Rhino Madness:

Nut width: 1.61 (41 mm)

More info here .

Cool little guitar, easy to play for little fingers when tuned to standard pitch (even with 0.010 string gauge, which will help the guitar stay in tune).

Good enough for a 6 year old who just wants to make noise. When/if he gets better, I'll get him better gear (or let him use some of mine).

I picked one up for my kids (I have twins :D ) and a buddy of mine was playing it and was getting great sound through it. The only bad thing was that it was a bugger to keep in tune. Tuners maybe?

Newf

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Good enough for a 6 year old who just wants to make noise.

It sure is! It can easily be the perfect guitar for him for several years (until he becomes a teen or pre-teen, depending on how fast he gets bigger). Enjoy your playing together!!!

Originally posted by Newf Stimpson:

The only bad thing was that it was a bugger to keep in tune. Tuners maybe?

Newf

Try putting on a heavier string gauge and stretch the strings like you'd do on any guitar with fresh strings.

0.010 should keep it in tune very well and still be easy to finger in standard tuning.

How cool would that be to have a mini strat at six years of age?? :thu:

Actually now that some of you mention it, I bet it would be cool to have one around for some occasional high twanging by adult guitarists. :D

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v222/darcyhoover/DSCN3179.jpg

My daughter and her Squire at 7. They rock!

They are a tad tricky to tune, I believe it's the short scale, but there's not alot of tension for their young fingers to fight either. Perfect for the youngins!

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

It's funny, she knows the lyrics to all kinds of Muddy Waters, Burnside, Lightning Hopkins, Hounddog Taylor, John Hurt, Fred McDowell....(can't for the life of me imagine why) but her selection of songs to learn is quite varied..from Deep Purple, Black Sabbath and ACDC to the Clash to Hedley and Green Day, then she wants to learn some Avril Lavinge, and right now she's tackling Cash's Ring of Fire! Just have to get her to buckle down and learn a complete song, but she's having fun, and I don't want to rain on her parade. She can get serious when she's older if she wants (she's 10 now).
www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

That's great! I wish Lilly would take an interest in a musical instrument. :(

As for the tuning, as a 20 year owner of short scale guitars I can tell you they can be a bear!

First, they tend to have cheap tuners that slip. Second, you can't use standard gauges and expect even tension across the neck. I don't know how to discern it, but they require adjusted sets of strings to work properly. I've always experimented until I found appropriate sizes.

Also, the intonation on most of them is atrocious and unfixable without completely moving the bridge.

Most of them are cheap toys, but as most of you know, todays' cheap toys are a lot better than many mid-priced guitars of 15 years ago.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived