Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The cost of private guitar lessons...

rw2003

Just wondering what the current going price is for private lessons with a professional instructor.

I was considering takin some lessons to jump start my playing again. Found two local guys in my area... One charges $20 per 1/2hr, the other $35 for 1/2 hr or $60 for a full hour. Both have formal music educations, years of teaching experience as well as pro playing/recording.

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by A String:

Yeah, that's about the going rate. The $60 an hour seems a little steep, but not unheard of.

That's about right for NY. Some of the guys I found giving lessons around here charged about $100.00 /hr but they were very experienced jazzers and not the "average" teacher.

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Yeah, that's about the going rate. The $60 an hour seems a little steep, but not unheard of.

That's about right for NY. Some of the guys I found giving lessons around here charged about $100.00 /hr but they were very experienced jazzers and not the "average" teacher.
that would tend to grab your attention, make you practice allot and listen to evey word he has to say!!!

Originally posted by ellwood:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

that would tend to grab your attention, make you practice allot and listen to evey word he has to say!!!
I also saw a lot of clowns who jacked up their price just because they happened to attend some famous guy's seminar or because they spent a year at GIT.

I'm not knocking this stuff; I'm just saying it doesn't impress me about someone's teaching skills. Heck, anyone can sit in on a seminar. It doesn't make one a better guitar player.

And, aside from their Bachelor's program, GIT probably accepts anyone as long as you have the green.

My buddy only charges $32 an hour (this is Canada mind you). He's got such a reputation he's been at capacity since I've known him. I'm sure he could up prices significantly and not lose work...supply and demand and all that, but he just lets them creep up a little every year.

I'd say take a sample lesson and see how you get on. Some people just click, some don't.

www.myspace.com/darcyhoover

I studied over the summer w/ a fairly well-known instructor, and it was $40 an hour. My current teacher is $70 an hour, but he won a grammy last year. Guess that's worth an extra $30 :D

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer

Sunbreak Music, LLC

High Resolution Stereo and Surround Mastering

www.sunbreakmusic.com

I pay $760 for 8 weeks of private lessons which comes to $95/hour. Well worth it for me. In the 8 weeks we take a really deep dive into some specific area of jazz improvisation. I can then either renew for another 8 weeks or take a month or 2 off and just work on what I've learned. Sometimes I'll take ensemble classes where I can apply what I've learned in a band setting.

Paul

Beginners and intermediate players can go to a local shop here and get lessons for $50 per month. One lesson per week at a half hour per lessons = $12.50 per half hour. Not bad, but a half hour is a pretty limited time frame to cover much, especially when you need to go over last weeks lesson and then get on to the new stuff.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

I pay my mandolin teacher $40 for about a half hour. Sometimes it's a little short, but he has given me excellent instruction. I haven't been in a while, but want to start up again.

I think I paid my last guitar teacher $30 for a half hour (which sometimes extended to 45 or 60 mins. 'cause he seemed to enjoy teaching me).

A good teacher is an excellent investment if you're serious about playing and have the time and discipline to practice. If you don't, well, it might be a waste of time and money.

As far as finding a good teacher, you need to check around with other musicians, because not everyone who can play knows how to teach; and some of them don't really know how to play very well - I guess they could teach beginners.

I have done a little teaching, but don't do it for money any more because I don't have an organized approach and don't want to rip people off. That doesn't mean I don't show things to friends and bandmates, and gladly learn from them, too!

Rates here in L.A. generally range from $30 to $75 an hour. There are a lot of guitar teachers here... some great and some that are probably not so great (judging from students I get that have had previous teachers).

Year End Sale:

Save 20% on Jam Tracks or Exotica. Save 30% when you buy both. Sale ends December 31.

www.UnderTheGroove.com

Originally posted by yZeCounsel:

I charge 40 an hour, but wish I could charge more, but it seems like a lot of untrained bottom feeders undercut the market

I seem to remember reading that in Germany or somewhere you have to pass an exam or something to be allowed to be a teacher.

What do you guys think of that idea?

Would the "Untrained Bottom Feeders" Union raise a fuss?

I'm looking for a name for my new coffeehouse band. I may run UBF by them and see if they like it......

Originally posted by Eric Iverson:

I charge 40 an hour, but wish I could charge more, but it seems like a lot of untrained bottom feeders undercut the market

I seem to remember reading that in Germany or somewhere you have to pass an exam or something to be allowed to be a teacher.

I'm looking for a name for my new coffeehouse band. I may run UBF by them and see if they like it......

If the test was rigid enough and controlled by some kind of responsible and knowledgeable oversight committee, I think it could be a great idea.

If the test was rigid enough and controlled by some kind of responsible and knowledgeable oversight committee, I think it could be a great idea.
As a free market anarcho-capitalist (not an anarchist), I would be opposed to that. What happens is the inevitable, they catch on to the UBF and get a better teacher

It's a responsibility of the student to know what questions to ask to see the qualifications

I taught at a music school around here for like 2 months and quit because I really shouldn't be teaching. I got the job because my bassist at the time was the head honcho there. I only taught rock guitar. It took me a short time to learn that I really didn't enjoy teaching. I know alot of crap, but I don't know how to explain to myself much less others.

I mumble something, then I play an Yngwie lick. HAHA just kiddin.

Originally posted by guitarisawayoflife21:

I got lucky and had a friend of the family with a formal music education teach me for 25 bucks an hour. Usually we would end up jamming at the end, lose track of time, get almost another hour in, and he would'nt even charge for it. It was great.

Best of both worlds - lessons and jams. Can't beat that.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

My teach does that with me. He tries to be well rouded to me in 1/2 hour as possible.

Play this scale. Play this song together again(Long, Long Ago..still trying to nail it :) ).

I asked him to start learning more chords and I had old Mel Bay chord book. He says, "no sense in learning chords without using them." So we do 12 bar blues (E7, A7, B7 and B9 turnaround). Second time through, he starts laying down leads over my chords...very cool.

Originally posted by Philidor:

Time to turn off the red light and put up my Professor of Guitology shingle!

Yeah, and you don't have to wear that dress tonight either! ;)

About all these teachers... do they give you a tape with all the exercises so you can do them at home?

If they do, then maybe a half hour is not so bad.

Just talked to the guy I have linked to above. We have some details to work out but he was open to teaching the twins together with probably 40 minutes guitar/theory and 20 minutes bass, twice a month. And from what I understand he is a very good guitar tech, too.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

quote:

As a free market anarcho-capitalist (not an anarchist), I would be opposed to that. What happens is the inevitable, they catch on to the UBF and get a better teacher

It's a responsibility of the student to know what questions to ask to see the qualifications

YeZ, yeah you are probably right!

Archived