Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I've got GAS again...

NMcGuitar

I sat in for a couple tunes at a local open mic on Thursday, and a friend of mine let me play his Gibson ES-335 (I don't know exactly what year it is, but I know it's at least 25 years old).

WHAT A SWEET AXE!!! It had a real nice setup, and just played like a dream. I didn't want to ever give it back to him.

I was surprised at how much it weighed, though. I know it's a semi-hollow and all, but it had to weigh almost as much as my Les Paul. Not uncomfortable, but surprising.

Anyway... so now, of course, I want one :love:

Anybody out there giving one away? :D

May all your thoughts be random!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You'd probably wave a steak in front of a starving man, too, wouldn't you. :(

;):D

That one does look good... I wish I could afford it...

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Well it certainly had a lot of miles on it - of the 4 tone/volume pots, only 3 of 'em had knobs, and none of those matched. She was a pretty tobacco sunburst (like yours, but with a bit more yellow), but had her share of dings and such - you could tell it was well cared for, but it had some hard-playing years on it.

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Absolutely. And my friend is one helluva good player. He's one of those people who can play just about anything, and always make it sound melodic - even when he's just tearing up some fast blues/rock licks. And a really nice guy, to boot!

- Neil

www.McFaddenArts.com

www.MikesGarageRocks.com

Originally posted by Bluesape:

I'd take a Lucille over a 335: stereo, ebony, gold plated, Varitone that gorgeous headstock, and, at BB's age, it's gonna be a collectible, too.

Yeah Rief but they are COMPLETELY different! in just about everyway I can think of the only real sameness between my 335 and my Lucille is maybe the neck profile. Sound wise my Lucille will not get my 335 tone no matter how much I twist the variable switch on the Lucille, and vice ah versa too the 335 won't do Lucille tones. Actually they are both must have situations!! :eek::D:love:

That's the vari-tone control.. it is a series of capacitors that give you many multiple tone selections, it's really good for studio work along with you normal tone controls...works very well. Here is a pretty good discussion on the Varitone circut and it's capabilities, this is for the BluesHawk but it is the same circut: LINK: http://www.blueshawk.info/varitone.htm

Maybe I'm not in the loop about somethin', but if, like in your case, Les Pauls, PRS's, a Moderne, and a Lucille are there, are you saying there is really a sonic texture that disinctively different in a 335 that is absent in the others?

With my V, 355's, 175, and other HB axes, I'm finding it hard to believe that a 335 OR a Les Paul would offer something other than the cachet associated with those guitars that I'm missing. I don't own both, so I can't disagree that they're sonically distinct, but I have to think I've got the bases covered, and for someone with neither, I'd have to think the Lucille has more versatility to offer.

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Hello? Hello?

No you are very correct Reif! The Lucille IS WAY more versitile than the ES335. What I am saying is that the Lucille will not do 335 like my 335 will. The differences are difficult to put in words exactly, with the 335 it's a woodeyness (Sp?)LOL... ahhhh it's more of a acoustic feel even when it's cranked way way up! Now the Lucille in the bypass position on the varitone switch where it should simulate the 335 does not sound like the 335, the Lucille has it's own character in bypass. But yes miss Lucille has her own MANY voices..all wonderful by the way. One of the biggest reasons for this is the Lucille does not have the open F holes, the Lucille is mostly solid. EDIT Again lol!! ok on the othere part of you question.. the LesPauls, the Modurne, an the PRS's are all Hbugger equiped solid bodys, to compare their voices to the 335 is really almost impossiable because of the hollow body resonance..it is totally different then they even though they are all HBugger equiped. A better comparison can be made between the solid bodies though.

Back in the day, the 355 was the flagship of that ES line. It was a dressier version of the 335: ebony, stereo, diamond headstock, trem, gold.....with f-holes.

When the Lucille was brought in as a replacement, with no f-holes, stereo AND mono inputs, and a neck profile different from my 2, perhaps to BB's liking.

The 355 is back, as a Custom Shop item, as I understand, and going for HUGE bucks! :eek: The Lucille is often priced below the more vintagey styled 335s, making it a runaway bargain in that class of guitar! :thu:

...are you saying there is really a sonic texture that disinctively different in a 335 that is absent in the others?...

Go play a Variax and dial up the different Gibson guitar models. One time I did this and my brain was going... "Whoa - there are some pretty big differences here!"

There really is a big difference between a 335 and a LP Standard, for example or between a LP Standard and an LP Custom. Even if you aren't interested in buying a Variax, checking out the different models of seemingly similar guitars is an eye-opener.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Back in the day, the 355 was the flagship of that ES line. It was a dressier version of the 335: ebony, stereo, diamond headstock, trem, gold.....with f-holes.

When the Lucille was brought in as a replacement, with no f-holes, stereo AND mono inputs, and a neck profile different from my 2, perhaps to BB's liking.

The 355 is back, as a Custom Shop item, as I understand, and going for HUGE bucks! :eek: The Lucille is often priced below the more vintagey styled 335s, making it a runaway bargain in that class of guitar! :thu:

As much as I love my Lucille, and I do.. my old 335 is really my go to guitar for Chicago style blues in most cases. It's so different and reacts to the pick and amp in a completely different way. Into a clean cranked amp that body just breathes tone, it's a very open sound and you can hear the body through the amp. If you start loading on all kinds of effects you take away that great tone and you could use any guitar, it doesn't matter.

Maybe it's my overriding preference for ebony over rosewood that has me biased.

I gotta agree with ya there Reif! they are a beautiful combination aren't they! hay let's dig out that old photo composition of all of us playing those black stylee Gibsons!!! the new guys never saw that one LOL!!! dunno where it would be though?

<

There really is a big difference between a 335 and a LP Standard, for example or between a LP Standard and an LP Custom. Even if you aren't interested in buying a Variax, checking out the different models of seemingly similar guitars is an eye-opener.>>

Of course the notion that there is just one sound from each of these multifaceted guitars, which is then modeled & labelled simply "LP" or "335" makes the whole Variax idea rather puzzling to me.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

Originally posted by ellwood:

I gotta agree with ya there Reif! they are a beautiful combination aren't they! hay let's dig out that old photo composition of all of us playing those black stylee Gibsons!!! the new guys never saw that one LOL!!! dunno where it would be though?
I tried a search, but couldn't locate 'em. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by ellwood:

I tried a search, but couldn't locate 'em. :rolleyes:
Yeah I know, so did I! It seems they where in a thread that was unrelated to the original title of the thread? that makes searching really impossiable!

Archived