Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Allan Holdsworth at Yoshi's, Oakland, CA

AlChuck

Holdsworth and keyboardist Alan Pasqua are doing a "tribute to Tony Williams" project with Jimmy Haslip on bass and Chad Wackerman on drums. Holdsworth doesn't get around myuch these days, I think it must be something like '94 or so that he was last up in these parts. Looking foward to seeing the show...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Chad W. played with Holdsworth in a band called I.O.U., I think Jeff Berlin was on bass. I went to see them and my friend saved one of Chad`s drums from being stolen, Allan came out and thanked us personally.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I'm glad Jimmy Haslip is still active - loved him with the Yellowjackets (an 80s fusion band that at one time also had Robben Ford with them.)

And of course Holdsworth and Wackerman are both great! I've seen them both a few times.

I am glad that Tony Williams is being remembered. They don't make drummers like that every day. I highly recommend listening to Miles Davis' "Filles De Killemanjaro" for brilliant drumming all the way through - but it also has brilliant playing by everyone and great tunes!

This year also saw the release of a 2-CD live set by the "Trio Beyond" -- John Scofield, Larry Goldings, and Jack DeJohnette -- that played the music of Tony Williams ala the first Tony Williams Lifetime band. It's a great recording. Williams was definitely one of the all-time greats, brilliant, subtle, powerful, always interesting...

Jimmy Haslip has never been not active as far as I know. Check out his website, he must have more stduio credits than almost anybody. Plus the Tellowjackets have been keeping it going off and on all this time. He was a also in a "power trio" with Robben Ford and Vinnie Colaiutu a few years back called Jing Chi.

Just got back from the show. Wow! Pasqua is great, he really brings out the best in Holdsworth. Haslip and Wackerman were great too. They played three songs from the New Tony Williams Lifetime days ("Fred," "Proto-Cosmos", and "Red Alert"), some of Holdsworth's older stuff (like "Pud Wud" fron Sand), a tune or two that must have been Pasqua's, and a couple of new things. I hope they record an album with this group, it's got a lot going...

Originally posted by AlChuck:

Just got back from the show. Wow! Pasqua is great, he really brings out the best in Holdsworth. Haslip and Wackerman were great too. They played three songs from the New Tony Williams Lifetime days ("Fred," "Proto-Cosmos", and "Red Alert"), some of Holdsworth's older stuff (like "Pud Wud" fron Sand), a tune or two that must have been Pasqua's, and a couple of new things. I hope they record an album with this group, it's got a lot going...

Pasqua is THE reason I first checked out the band Giant...because of his Williams/Holdsworth days. Of course, I didn't know who Dan Huff was at the time nor that he was a great guitarist. :thu:

If Holdswoth would write some material that was more diatonic, he might get a larger following.

IMO, he tends to go to harmonic la-la land too much. I've always preferred his guest appearances on other albums rather than his own material.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

We used to frequent the same beverage establishment (when I lived in SoCal and before he moved to Orange County), so I was able to chat with him quite a bit. He's more of an engineer than an artist--that serious analytical approach.

Funny--I was back down in that area a month ago, and stopped in to say hi to a few folks, and there he was. He had been at Carvin's big anniversary party and had just stopped in as I had. I met one of the guys that was playing with him, but don't remember his name. Was probably someone you're talking about in the thread, and I wish I'd payed more attention.

Cass Anawaty, Chief Engineer

Sunbreak Music, LLC

High Resolution Stereo and Surround Mastering

www.sunbreakmusic.com

Archived