Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First fruits of the weekend's labor...

Griffinator

Finally got the first rough mix up after a brutal weekend of manning the console.

"Falsehood" is now up on Our myspace page .

Definitely up for some feedback on my mix work here, as I'm sure my ears are just about cooked from listening to this stuff hundreds of times in the last 3 days... :eek:

Warning: The song in question is best avoided by the easily offended and metal haters... ;)

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Overall it sounds pretty good.

The guitars fill space well, the bass is represented, if not butt kicking.

The kick, however, is awful IMO. Was he playing a cardboard box stuffed with foam? ;) What kind of set is he playing? What kind of mic was used and what placement? For your mixing skills you really need the gear and technique to bring out quality drum sounds. They were ok (aside from the kick) but the drive in this type of music demands a solid kick and meaty bass locked in with the kick.

Vocals are good, but need more umph when he's not screaming. Maybe some compression to even it out.

It's a good effort. :thu:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Neil - the drum recording was a problem from minute one. I had a nice old Grommes SS preamp that I tried on this one, and it just wasn't up to the task. I'm thankful I didn't run the overheads through it, actually...

I've actually seriously considered adding a sub sample to support the kick, because I just can't get it to sound good as it sits.

Justus - I've been playing around with settings, and because of the placement on the overheads, spreading them out just served to unbalance the field, as the one cymbal was definitely more right side than left. I'm toying with engaging a MS matrix to create some l/r space on the drums.

Wow. Came back home tonight with fresh ears and some ideas, and blammo!

1) Didn't have to add samples to the kick - I notched out 400 (Thanks Justus) and set a low shelf at @ 75 with a 4dB bump and man, that thing just pops now, no cardboard.

2) Wrangled the bass out a little more, it's rumbling right along with the kick - definitely gives the whole mix a huge bottom end it didn't have before.

3) Pulled the kick out of the compressor I was using for the rest of the drums - lo and behold, there's a snare in there, and it's slammin!

4) Added a 40ish ms delay with about 30% feedback to the doubled lead vocal and it's really popping in the actual singing passages - had to automate a few volume shifts to reel it back in when he screams, but he's there now, and he commands attention!

Amazing what 15 minutes can do after you get away from the console for 8 hours!

I'm going to finish watching the game, then come back again. If it still sounds this good, I'll get a new mix up for review...

Oh HELL yeah. Made a couple more minor tweaks - particularly on vocal levels - dumped the delay and threw in a very light (10%) Pantheon on the first lead instead. Big difference. This isn't a finished mix, I've got a lot of detail work to do on it, but damn, it's got balls, from top to bottom - something it definitely didn't have when I posted it this morning.

Could have used a bit more definition on the guitars at the end of the phrase, where it goes "da da, dat da da, dat dah." The bass is there but the guitars sound mushy. Loved the intro, with the guitar harmonies. Not bad.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Pick - I'm still considering retooling the guitar tones - that's the beauty of using Guitar Pro instead of recording the amps. I'm thinking of backing down the distortion on both sides so they really cut. Bear in mind, however, that phrase is actually a series of quintuplets. Tab would look like this:

-00000---00000-00000---00000-00000----0000001-3-4

Makes it a little difficult to "un-mush" that phrasing.

Much better, Griff. :thu:

If anything, I'd only suggest you pull back a bit on the bass. At least on my crappy HK computer speakers it was a bit overbearing. The kick sounds better. I'd rather hear a well recorded kick, but don't count out mixing it with a triggered sample if you really want to make it pop.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

If anything, I'd only suggest you pull back a bit on the bass. At least on my crappy HK computer speakers it was a bit overbearing. The kick sounds better. I'd rather hear a well recorded kick, but don't count out mixing it with a triggered sample if you really want to make it pop.

Yeah, the Bass was a little bit muddy on my speakers. I wasn't sure if it was my set up or not, so I didn't mention it.

I'm using Cambridge SoundWorks 5.1 speakers. they are anout 3"X3". I do have a sub woofer on there, but a lot of bassy stuff still seems to be muddy on my system.

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Yeah, that's the only trouble with my JBL monitors - they really fall off fast at 50Hz, so if there's sub-dirt, I'm not hearing it. I'll have to go back and look at a spectrum analysis (let's hear it for WAVELAB! :thu: ) and see where I need to make adjustments on the bottom end.

Archived