Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone G-400 vs. Les Paul Standard Plus-Top vs. Squier Standard Strat

Newf

I'm continuing my search for a guitar and as far as Epiphone goes I've narrowed it down to these. The SG appears to have better upper fret access which would probably be better for my small hands but sound-wise is there much/any difference?

I'm also looking at a Standard Squier Strat as well. I wasn't going to but I found a really pretty one (antique burst with a tort guard) and usually with lefty fender-type gear I'm usually stuck between 3-colour sunburst and black. :freak: The cherry SG and heritage sunburst LP are gorgeous as well.

A skilled buddy of mine is going to check the LP and the Squier this week as well (the SG isn't in stock).

In contrast to the nice clean tone I like on bass This (samples 1 & 4 but especially 1) is just pure gold to me. Talk about polar opposite eh? :D That valve junior is going on the shopping list too. I'm looking forwards to modding it already (tech by trade, cut my teeth on tube gear, should be fun).

Opinions?

Cheers

Newf :thu:

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MMmmm, this is a hard one, Newf, as you can find really good examples of each providing you play enough of them.

I recently worked on an Epiphone 335 and was really impressed (but it was built in the 80s). It was a really nice guitar to play and the pups were, in tone, indistinguishable from my DiMarzio PAFs. I would think that this quality might be found on the better Epis.

I've never been into SGs because of the neck joint.

I've just bought a Squier Standard Telecaster, though, and I'm extremely happy with it.

It already had replacement pickups on it (GFS) so I can't comment on the originals. I kept the neck pup & replaced the bridge with a Fender '57 ReIssue which is really spanky. Suits me fine.

The finish & fit are excellent, although I'm not currently sure of which wood the body is made - I suspect it's alder, although I'd prefer ash. The neck is maple with rosewood fretboard. The fret ends are well finished with no sharp ends.

More of interest to you, (but I don't know if this applies to the Stratocaster) are the dimensions of the neck.

The Tele neck is 40mm at the nut as opposed to the Fender standard of 42mm.

I too have a smallish hand and the difference is immediately obvious. Easy to get my hand round and really nice to play rhythm on. The neck is at standard size by the time you get to the heel socket.

I strongly suggest you have a play at a Squier Standard Tele with the 40mm nut and if you like it, find out if the Strat comes with a similarly dimensioned neck. If you don't like the pickups, GFS does a ready-loaded pickguard with their version of Texas Specials on it for not-very-many dollars.

Geoff

p.s. It *is* possible to put a Tele neck on a Srtat and have it intonate properly, but, because a Strat neck is curved at the heel, and the Tele socket is straight, the other way around is not possible. G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Thanks for your time Geoff. The last thing some folks probably want to see is another "which guitar..." thread.

What exactly is wrong with the SG's neck joint? I'm not busting your balls. I really don't know.

So right now it's kind of like this:

Epi SG - Apparently nice upper fret access. Nice humbucker sound. However in all honesty it's probably out of my budget for a new one.

Epi LP - Nice humbucker sound. That heritage/cheery sunburst is truly one of the most gorgeous colours known to guitarkind. There's a used one for sale here as well so it may fit in my budget. < or = C$500

Squier Standard Strat - Definitely fits in the budget C$299. Also nice looking as well. Has a tremolo. However Squier's can be very hit and miss quality-wise so I will wait till my bud tries it out. Can I get decent crunch from it though?

Geoff, I like tele's too but Squier doesn't make lefty models whatsoever. I'd have to get a mexican fender which is C$500. On the ragged end of my budget. Plus can one get crunch from them too? I hear that they are very "high end/trebly".

Thanks

Newf :)

PS - I originally had the dollar amounts in brackets but I kept getting "parenthesis in HTML" problem when I tried to post it. Nothing to do with the topic at hand but weird.

Just leave out the brackets :D

I forgot you were a lefty, despite the fact you told me - Senior Moment!!

Single coils on a Strat are more difficult to get crunch from, but there are plenty of much more powerful pups available.

I use DiMarzio SDS-1s with the help of on-board electronics like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Onboard-Clapton-esque-Mid-Boost-Circuit-OVERDRIVE-F05_W0QQitemZ180030891262QQihZ008QQcategoryZ41416QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

Here's more:

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Guitarfetish-Store_Electronics_W0QQcolZ2QQdirZQ2d1QQfsubZ6QQftidZ2QQtZkm

- I get plenty of crunch - also a lot depends on the gain on your amp:

but there are plenty of brands available as far as pups are concerned.

Pity you can't try that narrow Squier neck - it really suits my hand.

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

NEWF: What exactly is wrong with the SG's neck joint? I'm not busting your balls. I really don't know"

Geoff forgot to comment on the SG, they are very weak and floppy Newf. It is a very weak point in the construction, yes Pete used it to his advantage. I had one and they are so weak they will make you nervous playing them, I play pretty hard sometimes, especially gigging and that neck bent WAY too much!~ with hardley any effort at all I could easily fret out the entire neck!

Thanks guys once again for the input.

I'm surprised about the SG's neck as I thought that they were like a LP. IOW, built like a tank. I think it'll be a case of how much the used LP is going for. I'll be looking at it tomorrow if it is still there. Are pickguards for it cheap? It doesn't have one but other then that it appears to be in good shape.

I'm not trying to be cheapass but if I suck too bad at it I don't want to be out a bunch of coin. Then again, I'd probably just trade it on some more bass gear. :D

Heavy strings should help out the tone too I figure. I use EB Power Slinky's (55-75-90-110) on my bass and I can bend those.

Cheers

Pickguards should be easy to pick up (no pun intended). Ebay's got plenty.

You'll need the pickguard, the little metal mount and two small wood screws.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Les-Paul-three-ply-BLACK-Pickguard-Fits-Epiphone-G14_W0QQitemZ7381407828QQihZ016QQcategoryZ41424QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem

http://www.axesrus.com/axeplates.htm

G.

I bought my son a g-400 this summer. I heardlot of comments about it not staying in tune. I took it to a great luthier for a setup and he found that the screws holding the tuners to the headstock were too short. Once he changed them, the guitar stays in tune for days (literally). It also plays like a dream. One problem we noticed afterwards is tha the bridge pickup did not line up under the srtings. I would have returned it if I hadn't alreadyspent money on the setup. Still, it's a great guitar for an 11-year-old! Just check it out carefully before buying and get it set up right and you'll be happy with it. Also, you may want to change the pickups, I think they are a bit weak.

Thanks again for the help all. The LP is out of contention now as the guy at the store punched it into the computer and noticed that it had been bought and returned shortly after several times so he took a look at it and the bass side of the neck was bowed and the treble side was straight.

I may go over my budget just a bit as a mexican strat or tele can be had here for @C$550. The strat sounded pretty good I thought as well. Are the tremolo springs supposed to be creaky like a old bedspring though? I'm still going to look & listen at the Squier strat at a different store tomorrow. I'll find out how much the SG is as well.

I appreciate all your help everyone.

Cheers

With respect to your inquiry on the trem springs being creaky, they are NOT supposed to make any noise. I have two Mex. Strats that work well but I was going to buy my son one and before I bought it, I tried the trem and it creaked like crazy.

The problem was that the trem spring claw plate piece was mounted too high so the springs were rubbing against the plastic back cover when the trem was used. Is is easy to fix by lowering this plate by drilling new holes and remounting. If you really like the guitar, see if the store's guitar tech will fix it and give you a discount of the price due to the factory defect.

Archived