Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Metal or Glass?

A String

So, we are going to be adding some slide tracks in the Jam thread. I'm not an accomplished slide player by any means, but I do know how and I own several slides.

Every time I go to play slide, I hesitate mid grab. Do I grab my metal slide or my glass slide? I've tried both and seem to gravitate between them on any given week.

Do you guys have a preference and if so, why?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I do have a preference only because I can't keep from breaking the glass ones! I use copper tubing and I have a brass tube. My dobro likes the copper one the best as far as tone goes, it's alittle more of a dark sound, my other guitars like the brass one the best,it seems to be alittle brittle sounding but man does it cut through the mix!!

I have all kinds of slides. I prefer glass. Large size/thick. I like alot of weight. Ceramic slides are not bad because they are heavier. Although, for a certain tone on specific guitars. I will go Ellwood's route with a metal slide. Either brass, chrome or copper. I've also one of those slides you wear like a ring that flips back and frees your finger when not in use. I don't use that one much, as I find the tone a little thin.
Bob

I tend to decide firstly by which guitar im using... Resoelectric I use a moonshine ceramic, it tends to give a fat warm tone. Acsoutic 6 string I use brass for the added bite and sustain. 12 string acoustic gets either glass or brass or ceramic :) Seems to work nicely with all. On the VERY odd occasion i slide on the electric its with the brass one. To be honest stringo I think it just depends what tone you want to acheive... If you have glass and metal (im assuming it will be used on electric ???) id use glass for blues and metal for rock...

But in general whichever gets your mojo groovin :D

Metal, of course! :D I use a Dunlop chrome steel slide.

Glass seems smoother and warmer, but metal rules when you need something brasher sounding. I always use mine in the pinky, a la Sonny Landreth. I haven't really mastered playing chords behind a slide like he does, but I can see why he does it that way. I find it easier to mute the strings I don't want ringing with the slide in the pinky.

Originally posted by ellwood:

I do have a preference only because I can't keep from breaking the glass ones! I use copper tubing and I have a brass tube. My dobro likes the copper one the best as far as tone goes, it's alittle more of a dark sound, my other guitars like the brass one the best,it seems to be alittle brittle sounding but man does it cut through the mix!!

I always knew you were a closet metalhead! ;)

Glass is smoother, more refined, and brass is nastier, more brash. Chromed metal is somewhere between the two. On electric, I like glass or brass, though these days I lean more towards brass. On acoustic, particularly on a resonator guitar, it's brass or nothin'.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Originally posted by Ricardo_F:

I use a piece of PVC pipe from my dad's sprinkler leftovers. O.o

HAHAHAHA Before I bought my lapdawg for my lapslide I thought I was bad using a plastic butane lighter! You need to go get yourself something dude.. Even if its a peice of metal pipe.. :D

I was bored one night and used the plastic end of a craftsman screwdriver as a slide, a pick and kinda like the way you would use a bow :freak: its now one of my favorite eerie sounds effects, especially with the wah. Don't knock it till ya try it. :cool: Oh and i use a brass slide, but i do better with the screwdriver.

Originally posted by Shannon:

I was bored one night and used the plastic end of a craftsman screwdriver as a slide, a pick and kinda like the way you would use a bow :freak: its now one of my favorite eerie sounds effects, especially with the wah. Don't knock it till ya try it. :cool: Oh and i use a brass slide, but i do better with the screwdriver.

lol Thats nothin.. :D Friend of mine was using an apple corer a few weeks ago!! :D lol It did suck mind you... (although he doesnt seem to think so) He was also using some kind of tea strianer as a capo.. Then it just got a bit wieeeerd :)

I used to prefer brass on acoustic, and thick glass on electric. Lately, I 've been using glass even on the acoustic. Not as harsh, I guess. Although I'll challenge Justus to a contest to see which of us is the world's worst slide player!

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

M E T A L !

_+++______________________________

_+66______________________________

_+660_____________________________

_++66_____________________________

__+660_________________________++_

__+666________________________+66_

__++660______________________+66__

__++666_____+++66__________+++6___

__++6666__+++6660++66____+++66____

__+++6666+++6660++6666__++666_____

___++666++6666+++666666++666______

___++66++6666++6666666++666_______

___++++++666666666666666666_______

____++++++66666666666666666_______

____++++++++000666666666666_______

_____+++++++000066666666666_______

______+++++++00066666666666_______

_______+++++++066666666666________

________+++++++6666666666_________

________+++++++0066666666_________

________++++++0066666666__________

________+++++0006666666___________

What a horrible night to have a curse.

M E T A L !

_+66______________________________

_+660_____________________________

__+660_________________________++_

__+666________________________+66_

__++660______________________+66__

__++666_____+++66__________+++6___

__++6666__+++6660++66____+++66____

__+++6666+++6660++6666__++666_____

___++666++6666+++666666++666______

___++66++6666++6666666++666_______

___++++++666666666666666666_______

____++++++66666666666666666_______

____++++++++000666666666666_______

_____+++++++000066666666666_______

______+++++++00066666666666_______

________+++++++6666666666_________

________+++++++0066666666_________

________++++++0066666666__________

________+++++0006666666___________

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by Ricardo_F:

...As opposed to: brassy!?

:D Exactly.

Actually sometimes I enjoy hearing others play with glass slides, but there's something that feels better to me about using a brass slide.

And if it provides just a lil' bit o' friction on it's surface, all the better.

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

I'm pretty much an all-metal slider. My two all-time favorites are a Dunlop #224 brass slide and a Craftsman 11/16" 6 point deep socket.

I do use a bottleneck now and then, and on a lightly strung electric one of those little Dunlop Pyrex slides has a nice smooth, sweet sound.

By all accounts the Diamond slides are the Rolls-Royce of glass slides. http://diamondbottlenecks.com/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

I know very little about slide, I may pick it up for 10 minutes a month at best. But over the years I have settled on a short glass slide. I prefer the short one since it is so light. I prefer glass since it sounds smoother. Also my hands sweat and metal slides get rusty and smell awefull. Jim Dunlop makes a short glass slide for the pinky finger, I just bought it a few months ago and am really pleased with it.

"Glass for electric and metal for acoustic" is an invalid "rule" IMO. But in general it's best to use lighter slides on lighter strings and heavier slides with heavier strings. Different slide styles, materials and textures work for different sounds, and sliders generally acquire a variety of different slides. It's a nice form of GAS, as slides are a lot cheaper than guitars and don't take up nearly as much space.

:cool:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

Originally posted by Ricochet:

While ordering some other stuff on MusiciansFriend just now, I dropped one of these in the cart:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/BigHeart-Bronze-Bomber-Heavy-Slide-?sku=363028

Some of my friends over on the Big Road Blues forum have previously recommended it.

Well that causes me instant (but at least affordable) GAS pains. :P

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

Archived