Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Epiphone Les Paul question

superdave

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think they are nice Dave. You could do worse. There are a lot of nice guitars in that same price catagory. I say go for the one you like.

I always find that I cannot really tell how much I like a guitar until I've had it in my own enviroment for a couple months. It does not matter if I like it in the store, or if all the reviews are great. I have to have it for a while before I can tell how much I like it. I say buy the Epiphone and let us know down the road what you think about it.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

One of the things about the cheaper guitars is, you don't know what you have until you play it.

I've seen cheap guitars that sound and play like crap and I've seen cheap guitars that are absolute gems.

Epiphone is becoming a much better name lately. My advice would be, head down to GC and try a few out. If one jumps out at you and you fall in love, then buy it. Bring as much of your own stuff as you can (Effect and an amp) so you can hear what it will sound like with your gear. If they want to sell you the guitar, they won't mind.

Epiphone Les Pauls encompass a pretty wide range these days, both price-wise & quality-wise. You'll really need to play a bunch of them to find a good fit, & don't buy one from a mail order catalog. Personally I would try to get a Made in Korea model instead of a Made in China. The Chinese models I've played recently just seem clunky & non-resonant. I always play a solid body guitar unplugged first to see how dynamic the wood feels. Some just seem to sponge up the string vibration & some really sing. Spend a lot of time playing them. If they don't feel comfortable, move on. Obviously the best woods cost more, so don't just look at the price tag. It may be that a step up in price gets you the quality level you're comfortable with.

Happy shopping.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

I have had a few epiphone guitars and I think they are brilliant, especially for the money. I play a gibson les paul now among others.. and to be honest... I don't think I'd be able to tell with my eyes shut what was what.

A word of caution though !!!! I bought an epiphone les paul from a cash converters on ebay.. but when it arrived it was a cheap chinese copy.. It was instantly obvious it was not an epiphone (got money back).

I'm sure your local retailer won't have any such thing.. but beware if your ebaying.

Well i have owned one for 8 years (a gold top) and she goes under the e-bay hammer tomorrow, i never really bonded with the way the guitar handles but it always had a great tone, but i just felt i wrestled it all the time, so one had to go due to recent aquasitions so it axe fell on the epi!!!!!

I will still miss her

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

I have an Epi Les Paul that I love to death. Like mentioned, play a bunch and see what sounds good. Also, compare them side by side. I've looked at others and none have been as heavy as mine; they felt cheap or something, while mine feels really solid. All in all, I think Epiphone makes great guitars.
Lyrics-wasted time between solos.

I took the plunge this afternoon and bought one!!!!!!!! I tried out sevral and the one I got felt like a good fit. I played it through a marshall and a line 6 amp. It's got heavier strings than what Im used to but what the heck It'll just help build up my hand strength untill I change strins. This one has a honeyburst design. Kind of a root beer color on the edges and lighter toward the middle. It's a beauty. My wife said that it is gorgeous. If I can figure out how to post a picture here I'll take one and upload it so everyone can ogle it.

I am glad to hear you played allot of them. That means the world when you choose one. I found the fit and finish on mine better then allot of the gibbies I had played and I played allot. I found the sound of mine was better then all the gibbies I played as well. I gave up allot of gear to get that one. Have fun! I have! :D:thu:

I think Epiphones are decent but for my money, unless you have to have a Les Paul, Ibanez offers the most bang for the buck (just pick a series). That being said, I used to own an Epiphone Les Paul and the tone was the only thing I was disappointed with, even when I put new pickps in. Gibson has priced themselves out of the market as far as I'm concerned. I could afford a Gibson, but its not worth the $$. Marshall has done the same.

Archived