Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for guitar around $550

reggiewolf

Im looking for a guitar, Im a beginner. Im looking to play hard rock like seether, breaking bengamin, godsmack and other stuff like that. I'm looking to spend around $550.00 less would be better. I have been looking at Schecter guitars they are around my price range and all of the reviews on them are good. Im just not sure what model to get. Any advise would be appriciated.

Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Soundwise and pretty much any otherwise the Godins are better but, if the image thing has to be there you probably need to look at Schecter or Ibanez. Washburn is also a possibility, have a look at the X50 PRO at Musicians Friend.

Same old surprises, brand new cliches-

Skipsounds on Soundclick:

www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandid=602491

I've got a Schecter PT Blackjack I'd be willing to let go - Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) and 59 (neck). You'd get it at a price where you could put in any pickup you wanted, though my son says it growls so much better than his Fender Blackout with Seymour Duncan 59 bridge and Pearly Gates neck. email me if you're interested.
Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by reggiewolf:

Im going to have to get an amp too. what would you recommend?

Based on the bands you listed and the fact you are just starting off, you should consider a Line 6 Spider series amp . They work for your style of music, include built-effects and can be had FOR CHEAP. I was going to advise you to buy a used one, but it looks like Line 6 just cut their retail prices tremendously ($200 bucks for the Spider II 112! That's the model I would recommend for you). These are loud enough to play with a band, sound good for crunchy tones and are reliable as well. If you want to upgrade in the future you can keep it on hand as a back-up or to jam with friends who drop by. For 2 bills you can't beat it.

Since your guitar heroes play Schecter, check out the Omen 6 . It's only $299 at Musicians Friend. You can probably get a comparable price at a Guitar Center. Properly set-up, Schecters are very easy playing guitars.

Looks like my recommended combo comes out to under $500.00. It's amazing to me how it is possible to get a really decent rig for very little money these days. You could definitely gig with this set-up.

EDIT: Looks like the Spider II amps are being discontinued, so you better hurry if you want to get one. I'm certain whatever they are replaced with be be at a significantly higher price. You could always pick-one up used though. They are pretty easy to find on Ebay.

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Raise your children and spoil your grandchildren. Spoil your children and raise your grandchildren.

Originally posted by reggiewolf:

I just picked up a Schecter C-1 Elite with a hard case for $430.00. And its in almost perfect condition. Im going to pick up an amp soon. What strings would you recommend for this guitar? And is there a certain way on how to sting a guitar?

This is the closest I could find for restringing a guitar like the C-1.

http://www.cyberfret.com/gear-tech/changing-strings/page2.php

EDIT: You may want to start first here: http://www.cyberfret.com/gear-tech/changing-strings/index.php

Just make sure that the tailpiece is secured to the body. The TonePros bridges are secured by two screws to the side, so you should be okay while tuning up. The thumbwheels under the bridge serve to raise or lower the action.

As for the strings... I won't say which brand is best, but most hard rockers use D'Addario, Ernie Ball, GHS, Dean Markley, Elixir (a bit pricey, but great if you don't want to change strings often), and DR. It's a matter of personal preference. .009-.042 is fine to start out with, but if you find yourself thrashing the guitar hard in rhythm parts, you'll probably want to move up to a .010 or .011 set eventually.

If this is too much trouble, ask a trusted friend or a guitar technician to set it up for you. Watch them do it, and ask questions, so you can learn the process for yourself. :)

Originally posted by caprae:

I've got a Schecter PT Blackjack I'd be willing to let go - Seymour Duncan JB (bridge) and 59 (neck). You'd get it at a price where you could put in any pickup you wanted, though my son says it growls so much better than his Fender Blackout with Seymour Duncan 59 bridge and Pearly Gates neck. email me if you're interested.

The 59 and Pearly Gates have the same medium output; the PG has more upper mid content compared to the 59. The JB is a higher output pickup with lots of mids, bass, and warm highs. It still has some vintage quality to it, though.

Is this like the one you got? If so, NICE AXE! :thu:

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0002E1HCO.01-AIMZUKBRH6H15._AA280_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

The thing I like about this body style is that it looks very rock-n-roll but it won't look funny if you start playing jazz or country or something else equally non-rock-n-roll in the future. Good choice!

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Dr. Taz:

Originally posted by caprae:

The 59 and Pearly Gates have the same medium output; the PG has more upper mid content compared to the 59. The JB is a higher output pickup with lots of mids, bass, and warm highs. It still has some vintage quality to it, though.
That's probably why he likes the JB. He's into using 12s downtuned to drop B. He thinks he wants an SD Invader. Don't now how that compares.

Archived