Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FretLess Ovation on YouTube

mavick

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am getting more interested in fretless guitar. Since taking up the fretless bass, it seems a lot more accessible than it before.

And,I'm seeing more of it here and there. I watched the DVD of G3 In Denver last night, and amidst all the high speed neoclassical wank, I saw Steve Vai play a tune on a tripleneck Ibanez Evolution with 12 string, 6 string, and fretless six string necks. He did some chordal glissandos on the fretless neck, but mostly used it tuned to an open chord. He built a series of loops into a short progression, and used the fretless and 12 string necks to change the tonal center of it from time to time. While it didn't make extensive use of the fretless neck, I thought it was interesting.

I might just have to get a cheapo, pull the frets, and give it a go myself, just to see what happens.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Way cool!

Thanks for checking it out......MV

I am getting more interested in fretless guitar. Since taking up the fretless bass, it seems a lot more accessible than it before.

And,I'm seeing more of it here and there. I watched the DVD of G3 In Denver last night, and amidst all the high speed neoclassical wank, I saw Steve Vai play a tune on a tripleneck Ibanez Evolution with 12 string, 6 string, and fretless six string necks. He did some chordal glissandos on the fretless neck, but mostly used it tuned to an open chord. He built a series of loops into a short progression, and used the fretless and 12 string necks to change the tonal center of it from time to time. While it didn't make extensive use of the fretless neck, I thought it was interesting.

I might just have to get a cheapo, pull the frets, and give it a go myself, just to see what happens.

You are definitely thinking about it the right way. Get a cheap guitar and make the frets disappear, and many new sounds will be literally at your fingertips. I have seen the Vai clip too..........MV

Fantastic Vick! loved the clip!

Thanks sooo much checking the clip out!

VVV

I guess I'm in the minority here, but the reason it sounded Indian to me was because there were a LOT of misfretted notes in there. Not that it's easy to accurately fret complicated chords on a fretless, but I had to turn it off after a couple minutes.

I'll give you an A for effort, though... I'm sure it's better than what I could do. I haven't touched a fretless in years...

Cool Michael. Thank you!
Thanks listening...V

Nice Michael. It reminds me of Indian music a little.
Thank you and yeah, I love the MicroTones in Indian ALOT.........V

I guess I'm in the minority here, but the reason it sounded Indian to me was because there were a LOT of misfretted notes in there. Not that it's easy to accurately fret complicated chords on a fretless, but I had to turn it off after a couple minutes.

I'll give you an A for effort, though... I'm sure it's better than what I could do. I haven't touched a fretless in years...

Well, I appreciate you listening even though you had to turn it off abit. I am personally not trying to play in a Western 12 Tone Equal Temperament System which might be why you feel some of notes etc. are "out of tune". I am personally exploring Microtones not just for nuance, but as actual harmony and melody etc. Similar in the way that Harry Partch or Jon Catler uses/used them.

This is the main reason I play FretLess Guitars. I enjoy hitting those notes, and I am in no way trying to mimick a fretted guitar. :(

By the way, I can make a fretted guitar sound "out of tune" too. ;)

VVV

Archived