Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Alert!! If you are using Internet Explorer....

S. Yeti Bigfoot, Esq.

And start having difficulties with IE trying to launch, then immediately shutting itself down.....

go to Control Panel--->Add/Remove Programs, and deinstall Yahoo toolbar.

Apparently Yahoo has made some automatic changes to it's toolbar and didn't exactly get the results it hoped for....

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, I'm hoping that if anyone had this problem:

a) Either they had a copy of some other browser so they could get this information and fix their IE (which is the best browser known to man and many small furry animals). :P:P:D

b) They could figure it out for themselves. It took me a few minutes.....but I've now downloaded a copy of Netscape for a backup browser.

The truth is...I've been using IE for so long now, it seems sort of scary to change.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Yeah...sometimes you don't have to install them...they just sort of show up....

That's 'cuz other software installs often try and include the Yahoo Toolbar, and you have to really look closely, and uncheck options in order NOT to get the Yahoo Toolbar.

Adobe Acrobat Reader tries to include two additional installs:

1. Yahoo Toolbar

3. Photoshop Album Starter Edition.

And if you click through to fast for the Reader downloads/install...the other don't pop up fast enough for you to notice...and next thing you know, you're getting all three installed on your system.

The Photoshop Album Starter Edition is pretty harmless...and a lot of my users like it to view their pics...

but I never install the Yahoo Toolbar! :mad:

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by miroslav:

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Yeah...sometimes you don't have to install them...they just sort of show up....

That's 'cuz other software installs often try and include the Yahoo Toolbar, and you have to really look closely, and uncheck options in order NOT to get the Yahoo Toolbar.

Adobe Acrobat Reader tries to include two additional installs:

1. Yahoo Toolbar

3. Photoshop Album Starter Edition.

And if you click through to fast for the Reader downloads/install...the other don't pop up fast enough for you to notice...and next thing you know, you're getting all three installed on your system.

The Photoshop Album Starter Edition is pretty harmless...and a lot of my users like it to view their pics...

but I never install the Yahoo Toolbar! :mad:

I was a bit dissappointed to see that when you install the latest version of Java from Sun it trys to install Google toolbar & Google desktop.

Well... I like the Google toolbar (I have even Google.com as my home page). Speaking of Firefox, it's my main browser, but it keeps crashing without any logic... I have updated to v. 1.07 but the problem seems still present: any clues? :confused:
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Originally posted by Dreamer:

Well... I like the Google toolbar (I have even Google.com as my home page). Speaking of Firefox, it's my main browser, but it keeps crashing without any logic... I have updated to v. 1.07 but the problem seems still present: any clues? :confused:

Its not that I particularly have a problem with Google toolbar (you get google search box as default in Firefox)... Its that when im at work I just dont like having to read stuff then uncheck boxes before I click next.. Its time consuming :D It also gets my goat when you are working on a PC and you open up their web browser they have 15 different 'legit' toolbars as well as the spurious spyware ones... It makes my eyes hurt (not as much as when a customer has a 10x10 picture streched as the desktop wallpaper, but hey ho)

Hey... I just like complaining about software. :)

Originally posted by A String:

Can you give us more info on the crash?

Yes: it seems to happen randomly and sometimes even when I am not doing nothing, just leaving the browser window open. After the crash the OS (Windows XP) issues a message saying that an unreparable error has occurred and it will report what happened to Microsoft; however, since I have never got any reply from Microsoft, now I simply select the option "do not report" and that's all.
Korg PA3X Pro 76 and Kronos 61, Roland G-70, Integra 7 and BK7-m, Casio PX-5S, Fender Stratocaster with Fralin pickups, Fender Stratocaster with Kinman pickups, 1965 Gibson SG Standard

Ok, first thing to do is check that your anti-spyware is up to date.

Make sure you have Spybot and Adaware and that they are up to date, then run a full scan.

Also:

-Click on the start button and select "Run".

-Type eventvwr.msc into the box and click "OK".

-On the left hand side, select "Application".

-Look for Errors or Warnings.

-Double click on the error message on the right side that corresponds with the error you got.

-You'll see three buttons on the right side. (Two arrows and a page.) Click on the page. (This copies the error message to your clip board.)

-Post the error message here by clicking in the Quick reply box on the forum and the holding down the Ctrl button and clicking the letter v. (This will paste the error message into your post.)

If the spyware scan doesn't turn up anything, and the one error message doesn't cover it, then I'll walk you through saving the log files from the eventviewer so you can send them to me and I can have a look at them for you.

Craig,

a heartfelt "thank you" for your help.

I will follow your suggestions and eventually report. :wave:

Archived