Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Help! I have no effects

Shannon

Please HELP! Advice needed! I need controls! Lots of knobs and switches. I'm bored.

Help me guys, I know very little about all of the effects goodies out there. All I can say is that I need something to play around with to get me into practicing again. It needs to be kinda inexpensive. Headphones plug would be great (so I can make all the crazy noise I want without being shy). Something that can make a lot of different tones. I have a Fender Pro Jr, great clean amp, play with the tone and volume just right and you can get a little crunch, but what I want is something just for practice with all the bells and whistles to keep me entertained... and preferably headphones so my husband only has to hear me when I want him to. I've tried to look a little online but I'd like some tried and true advice about whats actually worth getting. Anybody have any suggestions??? Thanks.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A Digitech Genesis should be cheap(ish), does headphones and several amp/cab effects, along with basic reverb/delay, chorus/flange/tremolo, noise gate and compression.

I have one which I use mainly for recording, but I take it with me when I go to the holiday house, along with headphones.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

My zoom 505 was under $100. It has every effect under the sun plus one or two from mars!

I don't recommend the 505, but many companies make multi effect pedals that are very reasonable in price.

They will have a head phone jack and stereo effects that will make it hard to take the headphones off!

By the way, great to see you back again! :wave:

Digitech RP300A. I use it.

I've heard good things about the Line 6 POD XT.

The Digitech RP300A is inexpensive, but the Digitech GNX series is twice as expensive so must be twice as good, plus it has Artist endorsements.

Line6 is a respected name and well worth the money from what I hear.

I would've spent more money if I could've.

My best advice. Don't go cheap. Cheap effects suck and you will hate them.

Always go for quality. I like the my Digitech, but it does have limitations--most notably: It doesn't sound so good through amps. It's great for recording though.

OR..maybe think about picking up a Fender G-dec little practice amp that has tons of cool effects and headphone jack out. And they are very cheap! Check out a G-dec demo on the Fender web site. Only: $269.99

Fender® G-DEC Guitar Digital Entertainment Center Features:

15W power

8" Fender Special Design speaker

One channel with dual inputs (instructor setup)

Headphone jack

Easy preset navigation

Tones from Heavy Metal to Jazz to Punk to Country

Selectable drum beats, bass lines, and other instruments

70 preset drum loops and metronome

100 Performance Presets (50 factory, 50 user)

17 amp models

29 studio-quality effects

10 Reverbs

Each preset includes a drum loop, bass line, amp tone, and effects

LCD screen

Controllable tempo

Internal synth with MIDI

Lots of effects

Guitar tuner

Internal phrase sampler with line in and slow down

Future software upgrades loaded via MIDI

Shoulder strap for easy carrying

Black Tolex with silver grille cloth

Originally posted by Pappy P:

Oh, the Digitech RP300A has five knobs and one expression pedal.

I would also recommend Digitech if you want a lot of options, respectable sound quality and a reasonable price. I own an RP100. I would recommend one of their other models though, as they have come out with several new features and prices have also come down.

Here is a link to a Musicians Friend comparison of the RP300A, RP200A & RP80 .

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Originally posted by Pappy P:

G-Dec--I've heard good things about it, and if it has Ellwoods endorsement, you can't go wrong.

:thu:

:D thanks pappy, for the money it is loaded with tons of fun, I did a demo of one on my soundclick awhile back of my sons G-dec, I wish I had popped in more of the effects in the demo but still you can hear the classic black face model and I think I did a Plexi model in there too.

The G-DEC doesn't record, though it can record short snippets from an outside source (via stereo RCA inputs) for phrase sampling, allowing you to slow down a riff and learn it.

Frankly, I'm not as thrilled with my G-DEC as I'd hoped. Don't get me wrong, it's a neat amp with lots of effects, but I'm not as happy with the basic amp tones as I'd hoped. There are a few good ones I use most of the time, but I've heard better. Mostly, it's the combination of amp and effects that I appreciate, at a killer price. (Of course, I bought mine at a "going out of business" sale of the Mediaplay chain, so I only spent $161 and change out the door. ;) )

I would mention that my opinion of the amp models and timbres is based on comparisons with my Korg Pandora. I'd recommend you check out both of these, as well as the Digitech pedals which can be had really cheap.

The Pandora (mine is a PX-3) is a small rectangle, barely larger than an audio cassette case, that has pretty much everything the G-DEC has except the amp, speaker and cabinet. The sound quality is excellent for this type of multi-effect and you can plug it in to your amp, but it's not a pedal, so switching from program to program must be done by hand. (Incidentally, the same is true of the G-DEC, unless you hook up a midi controller to it.) I don't know what the newer model Pandora sells for these days, but I believe they're less than $200. I really enjoy mine, but wanted the convenience of the G-DEC for practice. It's nice to bring with me on mixing gigs because I can quickly plug it into the mixer and play, sans amp, from FOH before or after soundcheck. In fact, I brought mine on my Mideast tour in 2002. Used it in the duty free area at Heathrow Airport, with one of the guitar players' instruments and again in hotels and on site at various venues we played. I certainly couldn't have brought the G-DEC and kept it on me wherever we went. ;)

Oh, and it runs on AAA batteries or external, wall wart transformer.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?partno=2350000000

I bought one of these about a year ago to work on getting my licks back...Through the headphones it is sweet...but from the external speaker it's weak at best... I love the clean setting with my strat...

You can find them on EBay also...

Originally posted by ellwood:

Neil, does it have the drum loops and bass loops?

If by "it" you're referring to the Pandora then, yes, it not only has bass and drum loops but also the phrase sampler, tuner, etc. that the G-DEC has. But it isn't updatable for new loops, etc. as the G-DEC is.

Rampdog, you silly man, that's the amp we're talking about! :D

Darklava, for its' shortcomings, I'm still using the G-DEC quite a bit. As Rampdog suggested, the sound from the speaker is a bit weak. I haven't really tried it into another system or headphones, though. Kinda points back to the Pandora if I'm not using the speaker, though. ;)

I'm not ready to give up on it yet. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Shannon:

... and preferably headphones so my husband only has to hear me when I want him to

Ok... see.. the first thing is to ditch the headphones and annoy the husband every chance you get. :D

There's no stinking headphones for me... my wife has to deal with it. :D

Zoom GFX-5. That's what I use. I've used one for several years as a preamp to a Fender Deluxe 85 SS combo. Unlike many modelers, its amp simulations use analog circuits, not digital ones. The rest of the effects are digital, though.

It is a bit hissy and can hum, but that's mostly when the high gain tones are used. The GFX-5 does have a nifty, dynamic sounding noise reduction unit built in, should you need it. Headphones? No problem. Plus, when the house electricity goes down, you can rock your heart out by powering it with 4 AA batteries. That may be useful when using it live also, if you run out of outlets to plug things in.

I've had it for about 2 years now, and it works well for acoustics, too. Warms up those bright sounding piezos nicely, esp. with the Fender amp sims.

One other thing... it doesn't come with an AC adapter, but you can buy the 9v, 300 mA adapter from Radio Shack or any other electronics store.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--ZOMGFX5

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Rampdog, you silly man, that's the amp we're talking about! :D

Bad Dog.... Bad Bad Dog.... :rolleyes:

As Rampdog suggested, the sound from the speaker is a bit weak. I haven't really tried it into another system or headphones, though. Kinda points back to the Pandora if I'm not using the speaker, though. ;)

Try it through the headphones... It's a treat...I promise.... :thu:

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Originally posted by Justus A. Picker:

You don't NEED effects, they're tone-sucking monsters! Play clean and focus on the music, not the noises. :D

:thu:
I agree with this to an extent.

I would say all blues players need a good tremolo and reverb (both come on a Fender amp anyway).

I would say all good metal and rock players need an analog delay pedal (it does wonders for lead playing but still keeps your tone intact).

And that's about it. I own a flanger, a chorus, and a digital delay as well, but I rarely use 'em unless im just messing around.

If you can't play it with a guitar and an overdriven amp, you shouldn't be playing it.

Shut up and play.

Like Pappy, I use a Korg Toneworks PX-3 to practice at home through headphones. Its an older model that has been replaced with the $164 PX-4 model. It works well for what it is.

I wouldn't use it on stage... maybe at a jam session, plugged into my amp's effects loop, where I wouldn't need to change patches or effects on the fly.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Toneworks-Pandora-PX4D-Personal-MultiEffect-Processor?sku=152176

"Spend all day doing nothing

But we sure do it well" - Huck Johns from 'Oh Yeah'

Click to Listen to Oh yeah

"If you can't play it with a guitar and an overdriven amp, you shouldn't be playing it."

Well that sounds good, but it's just not right! As much as I love the sound of my guitars going directly into my amps, in the cover world it takes much more than that. In the cover world you carry more effects because you have to sound like so many different guitar players, clone their tone and effects (or get mighty close) ...example... ever try to cover Robin Trower songs without a Flanger,chorus or a Ultravibe? SO, while it's cool to go direct to the amp for allot of us it is not possiable or even smart.

"If you can't play it with a guitar and an overdriven amp, you shouldn't be playing it."

Well that sounds good, but it's just not right! As much as I love the sound of my guitars going directly into my amps, in the cover world it takes much more than that. In the cover world you carry more effects because you have to sound like so many different guitar players, clone their tone and effects (or get mighty close) ...example... ever try to cover Robin Trower songs without a Flanger,chorus or a Ultravibe? SO, while it's cool to go direct to the amp for allot of us it is not possiable or even smart.

My original comment had more to do with using effects for practice than it did for performance (although I'll admit to knowing it would generate a reaction! :D ). It's just way too easy to get distracted by the toys and forget about the music. Then you end up with what's on the radio today....

In my defense, I own several effects pedals, including a chorus and a flanger. My point was simply that you don't need pedals to sound cool or play well.

Plus, I don't play many covers. :)

Shut up and play.

I played from '59 to '79 with nothing more than the Tremolo & Reverb effects built into my amp.

(But I have LOTS now!!!! Hee Heee!!)

Geoff

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

Archived