Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Heatseeker

Can anybody tell the difference between the guitars if there is one just by the body?

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/chris_rocks_521/abc2.jpg

This is a real 1961 Gibson SG Standard(Les Paul).

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b331/chris_rocks_521/abc1.jpg

This is one I'm not sure about but is for sale in China. I'm going to try to gt more pics but right now its the best i can do.

Is the second one the real thing or a fake?!?

Thank you very much.

-Heatseeker

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The fretboard woods look to be of different grades, the toggle switch on the first appears more yellowed with age, at least in the pic, and the mahogany grain is much more distinct in the first. Serial numbers and headstock pics would help, but I'm having my doubts. A lot more forgeries than genuine items come from the Far East.
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

maybe my eyes are messin with me but the bottom one has differences that i can see but are subtle.

the placement of the selector is closer to the pickguard on the top one. and the trem cover on the bottom has more rounded edges to all the lines.

also the trem arm coming out of the cover on the top one is more robust.

i do see differences.

How do you know it is in China? It's only a picture. It doesn't matter what the differences are between those two photos. It only matters if the seller actually possesses the guitar in the picture. Getting more pics is your best bet ... request specific photos to be made. If they can produce them then you can progress ... cautiously. My 2 cents. S.

If it's China, I'd stay away for three reasons -

1. It's likely a forgery

2. If it's not a forgery, they probably don't have it and it's a scam.

3. If they do have it, read the fine print about shipping charges. They like to sell the product cheap and mark up the shipping by several hundred bucks.

4. If it looks too good to be true, it is.

I agree with geoff on the contur line and the scratch plate to control look to be slightly different also, its a fake!!!!!!!! run away

Well i think so but I aint no expert, but Chian is full of fakes.

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

There is no way to compare these instruments by these pictures. Anyone who says otherwise is fooling themselves.

First, the only truly noticeable difference between them is the three-way switch's proximity to the pickguard. And due to inconsitancies of production back then, it is possible both are real and the placement is a simple descrepancy.

Second, regarding wood grains, etc., the actual wear on these instruments as well as the lighting differences in the pics will make a profound effect on how they are perceived. I could take two pictures of the same guitar and easily convince people they were looking at two different instruments with only subtle lighting and POV adjustments.

But most importantly, if you buy any instruments from China on Ebay you may as well send the money to me. As Paul mentioned, it's just too risky. Too many scams of one sort or another going on from the far east, especially Indonesia and China.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

First, the only truly noticeable difference between them is the three-way switch's proximity to the pickguard. And due to inconsitancies of production back then, it is possible both are real and the placement is a simple descrepancy.[/QB]
Actually the selector looks to be in the same place. It's the pickgaurds that are different. Could be from different years, or it could be a fake.

From China says fake to me.

Originally posted by dave esmond:

First, the only truly noticeable difference between them is the three-way switch's proximity to the pickguard. And due to inconsitancies of production back then, it is possible both are real and the placement is a simple descrepancy.
Actually the selector looks to be in the same place. It's the pickgaurds that are different. Could be from different years, or it could be a fake.

From China says fake to me. [/QB]

LOL! You made me take a second, closer look at that and I think I see why they're different. It appears the bottom pic's SG pickguard is not attached at the "bottom" point. I think it's peeled back a bit, creating the illusion the pickguard's position is different in relation, not only to the switch but to the edge of the guitar, as well. ;)

Nice catch!

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

No, you see, to me, in the bottom pic, the body of the guitar looks longer and thinner than the top.

The black plastic between the neck & the pup is bigger too.

I seriously suggest you leave it alone.

G.

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power the World will know Peace": Jimi Hendrix

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=738517&content=music

The Geoff - blame Caevan!!!

I think you're seeing things, Geoff. The perspective of the two pics is similar, but not the same. The top guitar does appear to have an issue with the neck p'up leaning over, but that, again, could easily be a simple manufacturing mistake.

I don't know why people seem to think 50's and 60's guitars were made to tight tolerances. By all accounts QC was adequate, but not strict at all by today's standards. Everything from p'up winds to body shape to hardware placement was likely to vary quite a bit between solidbody electrics, especially in the 1950's. Electrics were seen as inexpensive offspring of fine jazz boxes. The first year or two there were no serial numbers applied to Les Paul Models. Does that show you the level of contempt makers had for solid body instruments. They probably thought it was a fad that would go away in a few years.

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Archived