Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Blind Faith's first gig, Hyde Park, London, 1969

AlChuck

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Still haven't seen any more than the clip of "Sea of Joy" on the website... so I don't know if this performance reflects it, but judging by the album, Clapton was pretty much at the top of his game in those days. His playing on "Had To Cry Today" on the record has always been to me perhaps his best, it just soars, and the way he and Winwood interlace their two lead guitars at the end is just awesome.

I saw them live in August of '69. That was the night Clapton changed my entire direction and priorites in life. I went home and worked out "Sunshine of Your Love" on my P.O.S. acoustic, and have never stopped pounding axes since!
Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Vintage Guitar Magazine panned the DVD. They said the band hadn't had enough time to gel, and it shows. I haven't seen any piece of it yet, but that sounds like it could be true.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Quick review -- yeah, it was probably a bit premature to play live, and Clapton looks like he's not having a good time at all, but that said, he plays some terrific solos on "Under My Thumb," "Means To an End," and "Had To Cry Today." The sound is quite good. He's playing a Tele with a maple Strat neck through Marshalls. Alas, his solo on "Do What You Like" was lost, there's a really obvious splice from Baker's solo to when they come back onto the head... The production values of the disk (aside from the actual film and sound quality, which are pretty decent) are frankly minimal and amateurish - the menu looks like it was made by a 12-year old in a "Make Your Own Digital Movies" summer camp, and the attempt at a documentary at the start of the program is really inept, like the first half of a first draft that someone was trying to write but it took more than 45 minutes so the producers just took whatever was done and used it cold...

All in all it was actually less disappointing than the Blind Faith special edition CD of a few years back where all the extra tracks are so much less stellar than the actual album that it was a major letdown for me, who was hoping for some flashes of brilliance that just aren't there in the jams and other cruft from the album sessions... it's actually amazing in retrospect that the actual album as released is so superb...

Originally posted by AlChuck:

All in all it was actually less disappointing than the Blind Faith special edition CD of a few years back where all the extra tracks are so much less stellar than the actual album that it was a major letdown for me, who was hoping for some flashes of brilliance that just aren't there in the jams and other cruft from the album sessions... it's actually amazing in retrospect that the actual album as released is so superb...

I have to say, I find it comical, almost, when these types of CD's come out, that people expect brilliance in the out-takes. Are we really willing to declare that the producer had no clue what he was doing when he said "No, that's not going on the record"? There's a reason why they were out-takes...

It's human nature... I don't think I rationally expected brilliance in the outtakes, but the possibility is always there and one tends to wish for this regardless of the actual expectations... especially when it's a group or a period in an artist's career where you feel they were at the top of their game, and they have since fell quite a bit off that peak -- it could be so wonderful to find some more great stuff from back then that was tucked away in some studio's closet or storage somewhere...

Good point about the producers, though, and the decisions that do get made when making albums. So far inb nearly every case where I've had the chance to hear outtakes, or edits, I have agreed 100% with the reasoning that, say, take 12 was preferred over all the others, or that a comp was made from take 40 and 43... and that song B was left off the album entirely... etc.

Archived