Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

spreadin the disease

Guitarzan

i have played guitar for a log time, it has cut into my social life when i was younger and made me a bit of an island in rural N.S.

i have on occasion been asked if i would teach someone but that was a typical non commited person, who soon gave up when it wasn't easy enough or thier other interests appeared.

well lately i have seen some new seeds start to sprout, as you know my oldest son Brett has the bug and he is not drifting.

to my suprise our drummers wife has been bitten.

"K" is quite a suprise, her musical tastes are more radio, reality tv and dance music etc. but she has put her usual habits on hold for the joy of sitting in the chair with her sons guitar working on songs like TNT, i love rock and roll and Tommy Lee's good times.

she really is hooked, i see a desire in her to keep trying. most don't have that. way to go girl!

she is really addicted.

when visiting my wife today she spent a good hour playing my guitar.

here i am spreading the disease.

seeds are sprouting. and her husband and i will have to go Christmas shopping at the music store.

yeah!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, that's cool about your drummer's wife and your son. It is rare to find someone who will stick with it. Most get bored after realizing that there's actually work involved to get better.

I don't know how many times I've heard non-musicians lament about not having enough "talent"... B.S.!!! I'll put hard work over natural talent anyday.

I'm trying to get my kid interested in music. So far, he really isn't yet. He got his new mini-strat yesterday but I've played it more than him. It's early; he's only 6.

Another thing: I have a friend of mine who's the same age as me. He decided he wanted to learn to play bass guitar since his kids are taking guitar lessons.

Yesterday, he was out at my place (we had a birthday party for my son) and was actually asking me about what do do when his fingers make extraneous string noise.

I was very impressed that this early in his bass studies, he was interested in that.

My wife's little sis expressed a lot of interest at first... wanting to play, wanting to listen, wanting to learn.

She used to come to the house and plug my Schecter S1 into my little 5 watt and play power chords along with the radio.

I gave her the Schecter, a case, a strap w/straplocks, and another 5 watt for Christmas.

The only time it's out of the case is when she wants to look cool in a picture... what a waste of a beautiful guitar.

Shes 14 now :(

It's official... I'm boned.

Originally posted by Hard Tail:

Originally posted by guitarzan:

i know what your saying, you can see when someone has a certain fire or desire to learn.

Like this guy, right?

http://www.nuclearwarrior.com/nuclear.mov

:eek::D

:eek: I think that was supposed to be Johnny B Good!

Wow, I can't believe he still sucks. You'd think he would have gotten a little bit better by now.

Music is infectious and when people see it played and are around it alot they also begin the yearning to know how to make music, so yes it spreads like a disease but its much better than catching a STD :D

G

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Hey, that's cool about your drummer's wife and your son. It is rare to find someone who will stick with it. Most get bored after realizing that there's actually work involved to get better.

That's really the whole key to it. Most beginners want an easy way to become a guitar player. My daughter started up a couple years ago. She started to learn out of a beginners book and could play a simple "ode to joy" melody. From there, it became work and she gave it up. Now she is wanting to learn a bit more. I told her I was unwilling to pay for outside lessons unless she showed me she would stick with it. So, I'm giving her lessons now. One per week. We have been working on basic chord progressions and major scale shapes. I'm trying to keep it interesting by introducting some songs built on simple chord progressions. I noticed the other day that she was back in her beginner book practicing a simple melody, so I decided to give her a simple riff to learn over a simple progression to show her why I was instructing her on some very basic music theory and why I wanted her to learn her scales. She thinks the riff is too hard. I just want her to learn one bar of the riff at a time. No different than a simple melody but since it is unfamiliar to her it throws her. I had a talk with her about persistance and the rewards at the end but I'm not thinking she is going to do anything except ode to joy from a beginners book. Time will tell. She said she wants to keep having me give her lessons.

One thing that frustrates beginners is the feeling that it is all so complicated. There is so much they don't know that they become overwhelmed easily.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by huafist:

Originally posted by guitarzan:

i know what your saying, you can see when someone has a certain fire or desire to learn.

Like this guy, right?

http://www.nuclearwarrior.com/nuclear.mov

:eek::D

ummm... wow. Just, wow.

That guy can't be serious?

the guitarist? Or the guy in the Pope costume? :D

BTW, the guy in the Pope costume (Scott Lifshine) is currently claiming on the USEnet that "The MusicPlayer's Forum" kicked him off and saying that it's "a gated community" that refuses to admit the superiority of "The Nuclear Warrior Theme Song". Yep, he's serious......

Did this guy actually give some problems and BluesApe canned him? I notice the original NW thread is no longer available.....

"I used to be "with it", but then they changed what "it" was! Now what I'm with isn't "it", and what is "it" is weird and scary to me. IT'LL HAPPEN TO YOU!" - Grampa Simpson

Originally posted by dreibel:

the guitarist? Or the guy in the Pope costume? :D

BTW, the guy in the Pope costume (Scott Lifshine) is currently claiming on the USEnet that "The MusicPlayer's Forum" kicked him off and saying that it's "a gated community" that refuses to admit the superiority of "The Nuclear Warrior Theme Song". Yep, he's serious......

Did this guy actually give some problems and BluesApe canned him? I notice the original NW thread is no longer available.....

That is absolutely unbelievable. My faith in humanity just dropped another rung.

Quote: One thing that frustrates beginners is the feeling that it is all so complicated. There is so much they don't know that they become overwhelmed easily.

-----------------------------------

This is also a problem with adults who are trying to learn a new instrument or new musical style!

You gotta find something simple and focus on doing it well!

For example, I'm involved in a coffeehouse project in the Village, where I am using my second instrument (the mandolin) and my third (the flute). You can bet I'm not looking to play "Giant Steps" in all keys at tempo, or a transcription of a violin concerto... but I AM looking to give the people coming in something nice to listen to!

My brother is becoming enticed by the idea of playing rhythm guitar so I am helping the best I can to further his abilities and understanding.
"The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us, but we don't ask for their love; only for their fear." -Heinrich Himmler

Learning to play guitar or any other instrument is going to be hard at first. When I decided to start playing again my daughter said she was dying to learn guitar. I said I would show her what little I remembered and started her off with some basic chords, G,C,D...etc. She quit trying after the first week saying it hurt her fingers. I told her my short finger hurt like hell until I toughened it up and if I could do it so could she and that it was only a matter of relly wanting to play. When I get frustrated from trying to make a chord or play something right I stop until the next day and it seems a little bit easier. You just have to stay at it...right?

Actually, I learned to play because my father was one of those people that never kept at it.

He bought a complete POS classical off the newspaper and paid the princely sum of $10 for it back in 1975 or whenever it was.

Like most people, he tried it for a couple of hours and never even looked at it again. And I was so horrified by the waste of the $10 that I decided to take it up so the money wouldn't be wasted. :D

I think it's important to understand what people want from the guitar. If they just want to be cool (man) they're going to lose interest soon after their first open C chord. People that want to learn for the sake of hearing music whenever they want are comparatively rare.

I took up the guitar in my early thirties and yes its been hard work but rewarding, very rewarding at times, I appreciate i will never be a great player but that doesnt stop me wanting to imporve and play better music.

Very few non-musicians can appreciate the hard work, frustration and at times bewildering pain we have gone through to be the players we are, no matter what standard, i respect everyone who tries. We all try so we all deserve some credit for that

G :D

Love life, some twists and turns are more painful than others, but love life.....

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=592101

Originally posted by dreibel:

He showed up here one evening and started causing a lot of trouble. He threatened to shut the site down. I kept him at bay until Jim showed up and banned him.

That was a fun evening. :freak:

Archived