Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I Joined A Band Today.

Kramer Ferrington III.

Looks like I joined a band today!

I met them at the open mic night I went to see last Wednesday, and I had a bit of a jam/rehearsal with the lead singer/rhythm guitarist today.

It's guitar driven indie pop, which is fine. I wanted to do something a bit more "outside the box", but I have a lot to learn about the local scene and if you're going to gather musos together, you have to know where the heck you're leading them, gigwise, and I don't have that sort of local knowledge.

Anyway, the singer really wants to "go places", which is precisely what I wanted to do when I moved over here. And "going places" includes doing focused stuff like going out and finding gigs so, apparently, he's not just talking just for the sake of it. We even had a lot of ideas in common and he dimissed our age difference by saying that it amounted to a lot of life and playing experience rather than a hindrance. I felt pretty honoured by that. It's true, of course, but it's nice to be told.

The music's all originals and I get what amounts to carte blanche with the bass parts. I don't have to learn somebody else's parts, which I've always hated doing. We don't have a drummer yet but we're sort of willing to gig even without one. The singer's brother dabbles in drums, maybe he can take up the drum chair.

There's two bar gigs lined up, the first one's four weeks from now, the next in mid November. First rehearsal's on Tuesday night and there's also the weekly open mic on Wednesdays so we can get our stuff together in front of an audience and grow together as the weeks pass.

So yeah, I'm pretty happy with today. :thu:

There was a bit of an odd moment when the singer asked if I had any songs of my own and stuck a tape recorder in front of me. I had visions of all those 1920s rural bluesmen giving away their songs for a bottle of whiskey, but I got over it. :) In the end, I trusted the guy enough to leave my amp at his house, and I've never done that in my life.

I've just seen my name on the band's site so I'm not dreaming.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by madgrinder7:

I like bar gigs!

It's a very personal setting, but people always think they can make requests... you sometimes get the "play Free Bird" idiot too.

I don't know "Free Bird", never learned it.

G-D-Em-F-C-D

Bridge:F-C-D

Outro:G-Bb-C :D

Never a DUH! moment! Well, almost never. OK, OK! Sometimes never!

Originally posted by Bluesape:

Originally posted by madgrinder7:

I like bar gigs!

It's a very personal setting, but people always think they can make requests... you sometimes get the "play Free Bird" idiot too.

I don't know "Free Bird", never learned it.

G-D-Em-F-C-D

And don't forget the 20 minutes worth of "pull offs" during the solo. :D

Originally posted by Griffinator:

Originally posted by Bluesape:

G-D-Em-F-C-D

SWEET!

Now I can work on arranging a SPEED METAL version of this song for just those sorts of shmucks that would show up at our gigs and request it!!! :evil::evil::evil:

See that is just wrong! Why ruin a song by a great band? just tell them you don't do the song.

Archived