Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Looking for a high-gain amp.

madgrinder7

I'm getting sick of playing with pedals. I really want a single 12" tube combo.

I was looking at Mesa's F-series, Rectoverb, and Nomad... any opinions or experience would help.

Side note... this amp will be played in a 12 x 14 room 99% of the time, so 100 watts is too much. 30 would be nice.

It's official... I'm boned.

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My amp is used in a pretty small room as well. I had a Nomad 55 1x12 combo. Great amp. I don't know what possessed me to sell it. I missed it so I bought a Mark IV. I have to keep it around two on the volume setting and my daughter still complains that I'm shaking the house. :D

I set up my three channels: clean, bluesy gain, and balls out dirty. Even at a low volume setting, it dishes it out. I've owned distortion pedals, but sold them. You will be happy with any of your choices, but the F-30 and the Nomad will give you better cleans than the recto.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Originally posted by madgrinder7:

cool link, thanks.

wonder if they make one without microchips?

I think you're stuck with the digital effects, but I've heard great things about its predecessor the Ashdown Peacemaker. I'd buy one of those if they still made 'em. I might still get one on Ebay.
Shut up and play.

Originally posted by revolead:

Originally posted by madgrinder7:

cool link, thanks.

wonder if they make one without microchips?

I think you're stuck with the digital effects, but I've heard great things about its predecessor the Ashdown Peacemaker. I'd buy one of those if they still made 'em. I might still get one on Ebay.
There is a non DSP version of the 40watt model.
What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by JipThePeople:

Originally posted by revolead:

Ashdown Engineering Fallen Angel 40

700 bucks new. All-tube.

I've got my eye on that one but the reviews were concerning especially regarding reliability. Have you had good luck with yours?
I've heard about over heating problems too.

Who owns one of these things?

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Archived