Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Guitar Player Mag new owners

Guitar Geezer

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's pretty simple, peeps.

CMP, the former owners, had wanted to focus on their "core" business, which has much more to do with healthcare and business-to-business services than it does music/audio and other entertainment/specialty publishing. So they put these magazines on the market, and eventually founf a suitable buyer.

The sale has been in the works for over a year. And it's really a good thing... the new owners are a private investment company who are less likely to want to come in and carve things up than if another publishing company had purchased these assets.

So, as far as I'm concerned, this seems to be a positive step. Congratulations to the magazines for finding new/better support on the business front!

- Jeff

It's not just GP...it's the entire line of magazines...KP, BP, EQ, PSN...

I just wonder if an investment company will know what to do with them all.

An investment company may be more squarely focused on making money...and not so much on the beauty/value of audio/music, and the magazines that promote it...?

So I will sit back and wait awhile before making final judgment...as it will take at least a year to see if this is a good, bad, meaningless...change.

I sure do hope EQ magazine realizes a serious turnaround and a positive change of direction...as it has been rather "lost" the last several years...

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

"Revenues of $41.3m".... I never realized the magazine biz raked in that sorta $$$$

You don't think that all those pages and pages and pages and pages of advertisements in every publication were printed for free...do you? ;)

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

Hi gang...

We haven't met the new owners from Wicks yet, but it seems that they are not looking to control anything, and I assume that they purchased the magazine group because they have faith in our current management team.

As for the editorial direction of all the California mags (GP, BASS PLAYER, KEYBOARD, FRETS, EQ), the content has been in 99 percent control of the editors and staffs since CMPi (London) released us late last year. The changes that have occurred since then have been explicitly directed at giving our READERS what they want. There has been virtually zero interference from upper management, and, as a result, I am thrilled at how each of our magazines has thrived.

So if you DON'T like where a particular title is going, please e-mail the magazine's editor or post criticisms on the magazine's forum, because you WILL be talking to the people who can make changes. There are no puppet masters.

I have every confidence that Wicks will allow us to continue letting the editorial staffs write their own destinies as long as we are reasonably profitable and our reader communities are happy and supportive.

Personally, I am looking forward to well-reasoned and benevolent rule, and perhaps even a little investment in our core products. No disrespect to CMP, but we have been neglected for too long. It's time to work with a parent company that understands consumer publishing and wants us to GROW and flourish. Let the games begin!

Best,

Mike

I just went to the Wicks group page. Just a quick glance and didn't find anything related to this, I could've missed it cuz I got a few more beers than I should on me.

They own Vibe mags, too. Also, a bunch of media/publishing/broadcasting groups.

They talk about a bunch of millions right there. I feel poor.

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by Editor Boy:

Personally, I am looking forward to well-reasoned and benevolent rule, and perhaps even a little investment in our core products. No disrespect to CMP, but we have been neglected for too long. It's time to work with a parent company that understands consumer publishing and wants us to GROW and flourish. Let the games begin!

Best,

Mike

Good luck. I hope things only get better. Hey, what happened to those free transcriptions? I haven't noticed them lately, are they gone? Gotta go check....

"Without music, life would be a mistake."

--from 'Beyond Good and Evil', by Friedrich Nietzsche

My MySpace Space

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

Who is this, "Klopmeyer" who knows so much about this? :D

Just the same old Weasel, of course. :)

When I took a mod position here, I changed over to my full name, because I've personally found that I enjoy forums more when at least the mods aren't anonymous. That's just my thing; I don't hold anyone else to that rule.

Nice to see ya around, Weasel Boy. ;)
Nice to be seen. Despite my posting more in the Keyboard Corner and my BandWidth forum, I do browse the guitar forum every so often. I am, as it turns out, a guitarist. :thu:

- Jeff

Originally posted by Editor Boy:

[...] As for the editorial direction [...], the content has been in 99 percent control of the editors and staffs since CMPi (London) released us late last year.

[...]

Personally, I am looking forward to [...] perhaps even a little investment in our core products.

Artistic control is one thing, but having a budget to actually realize your vision is another.

You go, Editor Boy! :thu:

Archived