Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Besetting static.

Psalms-of-the-Dying

All right, I received my Jackson in the mail the preceding day, brought it in the house, dusted it off, checked the neck for a bow, check the entire guitar for scratches, dings, cracks, smudges, fingerprints, and whatever possible abnormal matter that may lay siege. Basically made sure everything was correct and as it should be. After that I tuned it, plugged it in, and proceeded to play around and get the feel of it. Everything turned out well... save for this repulsive, besetting static that erupts from the amplifier when I adjust the tone and volume from the guitar itself. I hastily concluded that it was the guitar cable as it was shot, so I went out today and bought a new cable... It's still bearing static...

I ask you, fellow, humble guitarists of this spendid forum what exactly may be the problem? Is it the guitar or is it the amplifier? Or is it neither one? I personally have a quaint feeling it's the guitar...

"The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us, but we don't ask for their love; only for their fear." -Heinrich Himmler

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bingo.

Replace the the volume and tone pots. Trust me, it's worth it. That scratching you are hearing is the Sea Monkeys screaming in pain as they grind past the wiper contact.

Dude, don't you remember me telling you this would happen? Geeezz. Next time listen to the guy holding the JS series Jackson in his avatar! hehehe. I am an Electronic Technologist, it's ok to trust me when it comes to POTs! (or pot for that matter).

Get yourself some new pots. Does your guitar have a blade style selector, or toggle?

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by Xplorer:

Bingo.

Replace the the volume and tone pots. Trust me, it's worth it. That scratching you are hearing is the Sea Monkeys screaming in pain as they grind past the wiper contact.

Dude, don't you remember me telling you this would happen? Geeezz. Next time listen to the guy holding the JS series Jackson in his avatar! hehehe. I am an Electronic Technologist, it's ok to trust me when it comes to POTs! (or pot for that matter).

Get yourself some new pots. Does your guitar have a blade style selector, or toggle?

Believe me, as soon as I heard the static I instantly recalled what you told me - I did not forget. And I do believe it's a toggle and not a blade style selector.
"The best political weapon is the weapon of terror. Cruelty commands respect. Men may hate us, but we don't ask for their love; only for their fear." -Heinrich Himmler

Archived