Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

ever see an LP like this?

marvar

I sure haven't, it belongs to my drummer- I'm sure its real, I've owned enough LP's to be pretty sure its real- http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/marvar/ricks.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/marvar/ricks3.jpghttp://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a308/marvar/ricks2.jpg
"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Tedster:

Did they make one like that with a stock single coil in the middle, or was it added later?

According to the bluebook listed above, it came that way from Gibson. H/S/H.

BTW, my drummer bought this at a pawnshop for $800.00 U.S. It sounds and plays good, I've used it from time to time, but only at practice. The five way switch was a bit hard to figure out, it's not wired like a strat, or like you would think it would be. Plus ya got the coil-split there too.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

It was made in '90 on 4-02.

Not to pick on you, Red, but you've applied the wrong code and you're incorrectly applying it at that. ;)

By the code you've applied that would be a 1990 model produced on the 402nd day of the year! Maybe on Mars, but last time I checked we still have 365 days in a year with the exception of leap years. :D

In 1994 Gibson used the first two digits for the year and 6 digits to represent simple production position within the year.

I just phoned Gibson Customer Support and they confirmed this and, although I couldn't make out the third to last digit in his serial number from the picture, they informed me that one possibility was a Heritage Cherry, Les Paul Lite with the MIII electronics.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

That's the only thing I would change on a Gibson, I think the all the controls should be on the bottom by the bridge. I do not like the pick up selector to be located on the top bout above the neck.

Sometimes I like the binding, but I think the Les Paul is beaustiful without the binding. Or maybe I am just being cheap.

I'd say it couldn't make up its' mind about being a Gibson or an Ibanez. ;) As of the early 1990's Ibanez had begun flooding the market with RG's and other models, most of which used the H-S-H p'up combination. Certainly Fender had their share of guitar with this combination, too, but my recollection is that most Fender Strats that weren't S-S-S were H-S-S. And given the year and the p'up combo I'd say Gibson was trying to catch some of the metal players drawn to the Ibanez instruments.

That's all supposition, of course. ;)

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Yeah.. I was a hard rock player (or so I thought :o ) in the late '80's, early '90's and bought a flourescent orange, RG550. Boy did that guitar not live up to my expectations. I don't know why I didn't sell it right away but ended up owning it for 13 years, hardly playing the damn thing because it always sounded weak. The higher line RG of the day featured SD p'ups and sounded better. I should've at least held out for one of those. :freak:

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by fantasticsound:

hardly playing the damn thing because it always sounded weak. The higher line RG of the day featured SD p'ups and sounded better. I

Y'know, you could've just swapped out the pick-ups for ones that didn't puff. Ask Lee, he'll tell you all about it!

:eek::eek::eek::D:D

What a horrible night to have a curse.

Originally posted by Big Red 67:

It was made in '90 on 4-02.

Not to pick on you, Red, but you've applied the wrong code and you're incorrectly applying it at that. ;)

By the code you've applied that would be a 1990 model produced on the 402nd day of the year! Maybe on Mars, but last time I checked we still have 365 days in a year with the exception of leap years. :D

In 1994 Gibson used the first two digits for the year and 6 digits to represent simple production position within the year.

I just phoned Gibson Customer Support and they confirmed this and, although I couldn't make out the third to last digit in his serial number from the picture, they informed me that one possibility was a Heritage Cherry, Les Paul Lite with the MIII electronics.

hehe did the best I could. It confused me. That is why i put the link. That and because i couldn't see the one #.

Originally posted by Xplorer:

hardly playing the damn thing because it always sounded weak. The higher line RG of the day featured SD p'ups and sounded better. I

Y'know, you could've just swapped out the pick-ups for ones that didn't puff. Ask Lee, he'll tell you all about it!

:eek::D

You know... I thought about it more than once.

Then I realized I wasn't happy with the flat maple fingerboard and forgot all about modifying anything on it. :o

Red, no problem... I looked all over the Blue Book info you linked from the Gibson website and nowhere does it mention the 1994 serial number deviation. :freak: I think it's listed in the Gruhn Guide, though (where Blue Book co-opted that information. ;) )

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by Xplorer:

:eek::eek::eek::D:D

Why ask me? I don't swap out pickups.

Archived