Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tips on how to change barre chords smoothly?

superdave

I'm really frustrated when it comes to changing to a full barre chord like an F for instance. I have practiced this till I'm blue in the face and can't seem to get my fingers trained to smoothly and quickly hit this type of chord. Did you guys have a lot of trouble with this? Any tips or hints would be greatly appreciated.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree with Picker, practice the changes slowly. At first the tendency is to squeeze really hard, this tires your hand out quickly and also makes it hard to change fast. Over time you will become more coordinated and realize that you don't really have to grip the guitar quite so hard, and your hand will become stronger anyway.

While its good to learn how to make full 6 string barre chords, as you progress you may find that you rarely use them. I tend to play chord fragments of 2-4 notes much more than I do full 6 string chords. Alot of times I am only barring over half the neck. There are times when you just have to use the full neck, but not anywhere as often as you might think.

Yup...lot's of practice. :thu:

Join a metal band...you'll learn 'em in no time! ;)

Just kidding...I use those chords quite a lot for different kinds of music. I can move all over the neck with the basic barre and then get quite a few chord variations with minimal finger adjustments. :cool:

Plus... they tend to be more in tune with each other...as sometimes when you go to open chords, the tuning is a little off (or vice versa).

Actually, unless I plan on using open chords in a song...I'll tune with the strings depressed rather than open.

miroslav - miroslavmusic.com

"Just because it happened to you, it doesn't mean it's important."

It amazes me that my son age 11 (age 10 at the time) learned all his first-position chords, plus the E-type and A-type major and minor barre chords all on practicallly the first try! I just showed him and he played them almost effortlessly..and he has very small hands!

I use those chords quite a lot for different kinds of music. I can move all over the neck with the basic barre and then get quite a few chord variations with minimal finger adjustments.
The barre is such an effective capo. You can do a lot of neat little single note lines and cross neck patterns with a minimum of effort that way.

Play Classical Guitar for a while and take some lessons. You must be able to hold barres at any position while you play melodies...usually playing melodies in the treble while playing accompanying bass lines or arpeggiated chords. You'll learn how to play barre chords.

"And so I definitely, when I have a daughter, I have a lot of good advice for her."

~Paris Hilton

BWAAAHAAAHAAHAAA!!!

Originally posted by Guitar55:

It amazes me that my son age 11 (age 10 at the time) learned all his first-position chords, plus the E-type and A-type major and minor barre chords all on practicallly the first try! I just showed him and he played them almost effortlessly..and he has very small hands!

That is really cool. :thu:

Originally posted by Sasquatch51:

Play Classical Guitar for a while and take some lessons. You must be able to hold barres at any position while you play melodies...usually playing melodies in the treble while playing accompanying bass lines or arpeggiated chords. You'll learn how to play barre chords.

Classical technique tranfers very nicely to both steel string acoustic and electric, no matter what genre you play. For metal players, who often seem concerned with how many notes they can play per minute, learning classical seems like it would be a no-brainer. Four "picks" are far better than one.

Did you guys have a lot of trouble with this?
In a word; YES!

The F-chord was the worst for me to learn! It took a long time before I could comfortably hold an F with my small hands. (I was learing on a jumbo classical, as well. :freak: )

All I can say is keep at it. You think you've practiced it a lot and, perhaps you have. But I'd suggest giving it another month of frequent practice and then assess how successful you've been at conquering the cursed full barre. ;)

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Just keep at it, you'll get it eventually. There is no trick or shortcut that I am aware of. You can work on strengthening your forearms, that will help, but don't do it exclusively, without a lot of guitar practice as well.

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I can and do play barre chords, but on acoustic I also try and find other ways to play some of those chords that are easier on the hands! And they often sound cooler, too!

A strange quirk of mine is one joint of my third finger falls exactly where the B string is when I do the A form barre chords, so usually I end up using the little finger for it instead. It's never been a problem though!

I have a bandmate who is a very good harmony singer, and she actually is a damn good solid rhythm player using open position chords - and she listens well, good sense of dynamics, good ear. Very easy to make music with. Never learned barre chords though, and soon I'll be teaching her some of 'em, and some simple lead patterns. It will be interesting! (Trading off for some vocal lessons... I don't work for FREE!)

Archived