Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Newbie gear

drew05

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by drew05:

Hey,I wanna start playing guitar and just wanted to know from some people with experience, what is a good basic electric guitar and amp setup for me to learn on. Definitely less an grand if possible. Thanks.

Firstly, you should state which type or genre of music you intend to play. What sort of sound you are going for. Blues? Heavy Metal, Classic Rock and etc. What bands are you interested in? Knowing this will help to determine what gear we would recommend. :P

Yeah... you really should work out what type of music you want to do.

When I bought my first electric, I was into Angus Young, and my first guitar was a Stratocaster copy. So I went crazy for a couple of years trying to understand why I could never get the same sound. And of course, strats have a different type of pickup so I was trying to do the impossible. Major stress out.

As far as AMPS go, though, I am a fan of the Vox AD30VT, which is a "modelling" amp.

That means that you can get it to sound like 11 different amps, from old vintage type things (such as old Fenders and Voxes) through Marshalls and onto modern amps designed for Nu Metal and all that. It's a good beginner amp because your tastes will probably change and shift and settle and you can get a pretty good idea of what different amps sound like. It also comes with a lot of built in effects so you can save a bit of money on effects pedals.

It's also smallish in size and the 30 watt output means you can play with other people as long as they're not all playing at "11". :)

Vince.

A Fender starter pack for $200 is playable and you can learn on it. If you can spend a grand then a $500 Fender or Epiphone guitar and something like a Fender Blues Jr. amp would be really nice. That would be enough to play a professional gig with depending on the type of music.

Thanks for the replies, I'm really into heavy metal especially the old stuff. My favorite bands are judas priest and iron maiden. I know I won't be able to play that stuff for awhile but once I learn I definitely want to play metal, the good older stuff not nu metal.

Originally posted by drew05:

Thanks for the replies, I'm really into heavy metal especially the old stuff. My favorite bands are judas priest and iron maiden

Mmhh. The main diff between guitars (soundwise) is in the pickups, which come in two major types: single coils and humbuckers. Humbuckers have a thicker, fuller sound than single coils. Single coils can be more expressive.

Humbucker type guitars:

Gibson SG, Gibson Les Paul (pretty much anything by Gibson, really).

Single coil type guitars:

Fender Stratocaster, Fender Telecaster.

Now, I'm not suggesting you buy any of these, but the majority of beginner guitars out there are a copy of one of them. Some metal people, such as Blackmore and Yngwie Malmsteen play strats, some use humbuckers. Hendrix played (mostly) strats. AC/DC use humbuckers. Stay away from hollow body guitars because they tend to feedback a lot. Youcan also get what are known genrically as superstrats or fat strats which are Stratocaster type guitars with a humbucker in the bridge position which soundwise is a bit like the best of both worlds.

Best thing to do is to work out whose sound you really like and try and get somethign that's a reasonable copy of their guitar for whatever budget you can afford.

Hey Welcome to the Forum.

I'm still playing the Squire Affinity Strat I got with my Strat Pack. I don't use that little amp much though. Save a little money and just buy a guitar for now. A modest Epiphone, Squire or Ibanez, etc. Wait to buy an amp.

I bought a Digitech RP300A amp/effects modeling pedal. I mostly practice with head phones at it suits the bill for that.

I would recommend buying any modeling pedal instead of an amp (for beginners). You just get more features for less money and you can practice quitely. Oh yeah, and most of them have drum machines so they make a great pratice tool. The nicer ones even let you load an mp3 and slow it down to play along and learn the song.

This will give you more time to save up money and figure out what kind of amp to buy. I think you should definately take time to consider an amp purchase. Good amps cost a bit of money, and the cheaper amps really are a waste of space and money.

Originally posted by Xplorer:

I'd go with what Ellwood said. Single coil pickups are what you want for early british metal like Iron Maiden.

Adrian Smith\'s setup

JB Jr's in neck and bridge - read: humbuckers

Dave Murray\'s setup

Hot Rails in all 3 positions - read: humbuckers

A stock strat would be the worst choice for trying to reproduce their sound.

Originally posted by Griffinator:

I'd go with what Ellwood said. Single coil pickups are what you want for early british metal like Iron Maiden.

Adrian Smith\'s setup

JB Jr's in neck and bridge - read: humbuckers

Dave Murray\'s setup

Hot Rails in all 3 positions - read: humbuckers

A stock strat would be the worst choice for trying to reproduce their sound.

You sir, are correct sir.

I have to admit I've haven't ever paid attention or listened to Iron Maiden much. I'll research my assumptions next time. Thank's for clearing that up Griff.

I'd suggest this guitar pack then...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Dean-Dimebag-Darrell-Lightning-Bolt-Baby-ML-Guitar-and-Amp-Pack?sku=519979

Full scale neck, and a truly rippin guitar for a beginner.

What a horrible night to have a curse.

I have to admit I've haven't ever paid attention or listened to Iron Maiden much. I'll research my assumptions next time. Thank's for clearing that up Griff.

Not a prob, bro. I've always been a rabid fan of Maiden, and I was under the same impression for the longest time until I saw Duncan ads featuring those two and their setups.

Ironically, the Fender "Adrian Smith Signature" Strat featured Lace Sensors, which Adrian has never, ever used in any of his setups... :D

Archived