Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

First time back in a club

Rampdog

I just went to a small club to see a blues? band. I haven't been to see a band in years and years. I've been to some bluesfests but thats sitting in a field and not really seeing what they can do. Plus they're name acts. Anyway, watching the guitar player he seemed to be fighting his leads and doing nothing spectacular. He had a nice LP though. I couldn't see his amp as it was buried behind him. My point is it made me feel a hell of alot better about my ability to play live again. There were a couple of songs they played that made me want to grab his guitar and PLAY that sucker... I don't know if you guys ever felt like that. At least they were a band and playing live. Soon I'll be looking for an open mike night and give it a go. Just thought I'd throw this drivel in... Damn I feel better now...

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah! Hope you find a cool open mike night to have a go at. What I also like to do which I find inspires me quite a bit is to go back and find some un-released early live recordings of some of my favourite guitarists to see how they did back in the day, alot of the time you find out how much they have improved over the years and you get to see how long its taken to get from A to B so it re-assures me that I may not be the best guitarist in my field now but I know that I can improve and that if they can do it... So can I.

Last night, we had the night off, so the drummer and I decided to make the rounds at some of the local bars. It really hit home to me that the vast majority of the listening public will like almost anything, no matter how bad or poorly presented it is. We saw some really terrible bands, one singer sounded like he had a hairball, most of the guitars sounded like the old bag of bees, totally indistinguishable, hurt my ears, and made me wanna puke. Yet song after song was met with great applause and screams. go figure- is it the alcohol, or the fact that the bands were all playing well known and loved songs? or that average bar go-er has absolutely no taste, and no ear for talent?
"Who's gonna teach the children about Chuck Berry?"

Originally posted by marvar:

Last night, we had the night off, so the drummer and I decided to make the rounds at some of the local bars. It really hit home to me that the vast majority of the listening public will like almost anything, no matter how bad or poorly presented it is.

Cool! There's hope for me then. :D

Originally posted by Chad:

Alcohol helps to dial down the critical faculties; many people are at bars for reasons other than music appreciation and so don't really hear the band; a tight rhythm section will cover up a LOT of crappy guitar playing.

For sure! that's how we slide by the critics! we wait till their all drunk and play short sets waiting for them to all get fall down drunk, grab the money and go home! :eek::D that way you don't even have to rehearse..Life's good!

Originally posted by Kramer Ferrington III.:

Originally posted by Rampdog:

There were a couple of songs they played that made me want to grab his guitar and PLAY that sucker... I don't know if you guys ever felt like that.

A lot of the time, actually. :rolleyes:;)
That's how i feel regarding bands in my school that destroy songs during talent shows and such.

Never argue with an idiot. They'll bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=810593

http://www.myspace.com/dandelavega

Archived